Few from today!

Kryptix

Novice Member
Never posted pics on here so be gentle. Incredibly new at photography. Just got a 400D. :)

These haven't been touched up digitally at all -- just uploaded directly to Photobucket from the camera.

TarMoo

Not bad for a 1st effort. I like the last one the most. The 3rd one looks like it has been taken at a non level camera angle. Maybe try to rotate it a few degrees in photoshop (or similar). Keep trying.

I think we could do with a sticky thread called "Your first post" so that people will be encouraged to add their first pictures without worrying too much.

Kryptix

Novice Member
Yeah. I have a 70-200mm lens, though. :)

allymac123

Novice Member
The second picture looked like it was the kit lens.
How?

Not a bad start. Just keep shooting and posting I'd say. Try to think what the subject of the photo is or how you want the viewer to look through the photo.

allymac123

Novice Member
1 & 2 both look like photo's my kit lens would take. So I'm guessing they at least are the Kit lens.
Using a better lens in exactly the same way as those shots would give exactly the same results. You can not tell the difference in lens quality in pictures at that size (exluding bokeh).

The first wasn't stopped down far enough which is why the top of the escalator is OOF and the 2nd, although taken on a tripod is suffering from camera shake (I presume no remote/timer was used or it was not steady on the tripod because the wind/tripod got nudged)

The kit lens in the cicumstances of the first 2 pictures is 90% as good as any lens. I could give you 100% crops of a photo taken with my kit lens and one with my 17-55 F2.8 IS of the same subject and the difference would be very small.

stylgeo

Novice Member
I like the last two. Next time try to achieve the same effect at dawn or after sunset. You will still get the light trails but you will have the subtle blue of the evening sky aswell.

Just call me Al

Novice Member
Using a better lens in exactly the same way as those shots would give exactly the same results. You can not tell the difference in lens quality in pictures at that size (exluding bokeh).

The first wasn't stopped down far enough which is why the top of the escalator is OOF and the 2nd, although taken on a tripod is suffering from camera shake (I presume no remote/timer was used or it was not steady on the tripod because the wind/tripod got nudged)

The kit lens in the cicumstances of the first 2 pictures is 90% as good as any lens. I could give you 100% crops of a photo taken with my kit lens and one with my 17-55 F2.8 IS of the same subject and the difference would be very small.
Your photo's are some of the one's on this site that I go to first when you post them, they are exceptional & you take time to help people, however you are wrong about the kit lens, the second I saw the photo's my first thought was that they were taken with the kit lens. Their are some pictures taken with the kit lens that even I cannot tell, like night photo's or Macro, but general photo's stick out like a saw thumb to me. Maybe you don't notice it, everybody's eyesight is slightly different, but you shouldn't judge the way your eye's see the picture & give a blanket "You can not tell the difference in lens quality in pictures at that size" because I can. I'm not the only one, you only have to look over the internet for that & by the same token many also stick up for the kit lens, I can only guess they don't see the same things as those that can see a difference, but a difference there is. You only have to look at This thread to see even smaller pictures that are very sharp & in spite of the size people commented on the sharpness & it is clear they were taken with a much better lens. I didn't see you go onto that thread & say "You can not tell the difference in lens quality in pictures at that size". As to 'cryptix' pictures, I think for an early attempt they are very good & can only imagine what cryptix will produce given a little time & an even better lens. One last thing regarding the kit lens, I bet none of the people who stick up for it EVER use it.
Anyhow 'allymac123' I still regard you as one of the 3 best photographers on this site & may you continue posting your fabulous pictures & I will continue to learn from them. :)

allymac123

Novice Member
Fair enough D2V2D and thanks for the compliments :D

I know the kit lens has its short comings its just I'm sure they are not with the circumstances of the first 2 images. I think one of the reasons the kit lens is considered so bad is because it is the lens everybody uses when they first get a DSLR. For a £50 lens it is an extremely good lens. I just think in most circumstances it should be used for a month or two before being upgraded because it is likely it will then be got the best out of.

There's nothing wrong with differing opinions!!

ghibbett

Novice Member
Got to admit, as soon as I saw image #2 I thought kit lens straight away...:rolleyes:

To the OP, the last shot is IMO the best. However the horizon is not quite level and also the horizon line is approx 1/2 across the frame, leaving the top half of the image completely barren of any detail. May be worth trying again and angling the camera down somewhat. Good exposure mind :smashin:

Kryptix

Novice Member
Unfortunately, image no. 2 was on manual focus and I didn't realise. I presumed it was on auto, took the snap and it looked fine on the small LCD screen but then looked blurred when I got it on the computer. :(

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom