Fetch TV HD-PVR at Tesco from 04/06/2010 - [Part Eight]

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Gavtech, Oct 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,816
    Moderator Comment

Thread Announcement.

Please note that Part Seven of this thread is now closed and all further posts should continue here in Part Eight.

For reference:

Part One is here

Part Two is here

Part Three is here

Part Four is here

Part Five is here

Part Six is here

Part Seven is here

Thank you.

2. petrev

petrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    :confused:

Strange things, these little boxes !

You have to catch just at the right moment to add the bookmark from INFO and before that you have to wait a short while to press OK.

Sorry I can't be of more help
    Pete

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  3. deden56

deden56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am still able to use BBC iplayer will I lose this soon on my smart box 320

4. darrenandz

darrenandz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    New to this. Have an 8320. Has been picture freezing sometimes when exiting i player. The solution to switch off then on again. It happened last night though this time after switching off it will no longer fire up. Starts whirs, lights up then switches off again. Just repeats this spiral endlessly. I suspect this is software but what do I know. Simeon help please.

As an aside, decided that I too would ask Shop to net for an update this week ( before my troubles). The answer now is the next month or two. Maybe I'm a fool but I assume they are doing something or why employ people just to give irritating answers!

5. liam8282

liam8282
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe we should email them en masse, or direct them to these pages so that they can see how many people still have these boxes and want something doing with them.

What shopto email address has everyone been using?

6. darrenandz

darrenandz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If only it was so simple. Searched and searched for a live email but alas no. Had to register and use their ticket system. Took me a while to figure it but actually it is straightforward and they respond quickly.

Any thoughts on resolving my endless switch on switch off problem?

7. petrev

petrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,015
    Hi

Have you tried pressing, and holding for 10 seconds, the Reset Button on the underside - Try it while in it's in it's most ON state, or just randomly if no joy.

Simeon ????

Pete

8. darrenandz

darrenandz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tried that this morning. Before trying the start up screen would come up before switching off again but since then just a blank screen. Names Darren. Simeon was just a badly written someone! Thanks for the first thought though. Darren

9. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,816
    I suspect the unit is doomed unfortunately... but also try a lengthy mains reset.

Disconnect the unit from the mains for at least an hour.

10. pig

pig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Probably coincidence, but one of my boxes (the oddball one that wouldn't pair up) did exactly the same for the first time yesterday. The only way I could get it to boot was to remove the network cable, after which it started up normally. Then I put the cable back in and it was OK :confused:

11. darrenandz

darrenandz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ah if only it was on the network I could try that. And as for having it powered down for an extended period I've tried that too! Trouble is I don't think it's kaput. If it were a pc I would try booting it from a CD rather than the hard drive but I haven't the first idea where I would start with this. I have even resorted to the slap on the top a few times school of gadgetry repair. Did absolutely nothing and didn't, even make me feel better! Joking aside, any other thoughts? Darren

12. Mike.P®

Mike.P®

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +518
    Anyone know if its possible to change audio streams on a dual audio MKV file?

13. jaswilliams

jaswilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    There is a CMOS battery on the system board you could try popping the top cover off and removing that for 20 min it might reset the box to factory

14. joshtbh

joshtbh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all, I got one of these today, can someone help me with this question please:

Is it advisable to upgrade to the latest firmware? Any bugs with it etc? I'm on 4.8.03-01

15. jaswilliams

jaswilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Also power supply could be faulty do you have something similar you could try

16. movie_lover

movie_lover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've not found a way to do that.

Try re-muxing it with mkvmerge GUI, only keeping the language or format that you want.

If I can't be bothered to do that, I play the file on my WDTV which can switch streams (and will let me select which subtitles I want too!)

17. darrenandz

darrenandz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Power supply running another box so that's ok. Need to be brave and try the CMOS battery - but waiting a bit to see if anyone has a thought that isn't quite so invasive first. Thanks for the thought as I hadn't considered the possibility. Darren

18. ra11

ra11
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all - just jumping onto the thread and wondering if there is a way to load Android ICS or some kind of Linux distribution?
    I've got the web access via USB operational - but its crude to say the least...

thank you

19. MaffyBoon

MaffyBoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Oh don't worry its nowhere near as scarey as it sounds. Just unplug, get the case off carefully making sure you don't damage any clips & inside look for the silver coloured penny like battery. It will just pop out of its housing (use something non-metalic). Don't gouge it, just unhook it. Leave it out for a bit & pop back in. Close case up. Test it.

20. joshtbh

joshtbh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi guys,

as you are going through the TV guide, what is the two coloured "dots" in the upper right of the screen for please?

21. swindonfan

swindonfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this machine for over 2 years. I've suddenly lost the wifi connection. The box just tells me that the ethernet cable is unplugged ( I've only ever used the wifi connection due to the location of my router). Has anyone else had this problem? Is it possibly a connection problem with the wifi stick in the machine. If so, how can i get in to the machine to replug it in? Any ideas would be appreciated!

22. Jacko

Jacko
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    This means the guide is updating, via the Freeview signal.

23. Ellis456

Ellis456
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Does anyone else get this?, when I put my box to sleep I set it so it goes into deep sleep after 10 mins before I go to bed, when I get up in the morning it's not in low power mode anymore but in the other mode, and it does this every morning yet when I get home from work it's in low power mode again. I have nothing set to record at that time so what is the box doing?, is fetch/new owner looking at my box or what?.

Also my box since day one I have to press the standy button numorous times to get it to power up, sometimes it powers up after one press, but most times needs 3/4.

24. giloi

giloi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting the same issue, I'll always put the unit in low-power mode before heading to bed, but when I wake up in the morning it's no longer in a low-power state. No recordings set or anything.

Also, I know the box is based on Linux, but has anybody else had that really annoying Fetch TV screensaver appear every once in a blue moon?

25. jaswilliams

jaswilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If you are using low power mode (I don't the wife found it too annoying) it will turn on with one press but takes about 20 seconds to turn on, unless it is recording at the time, if it is recording it is not really in low power mode and will turn straight on. The fetch screen saver normally comes on if the box has some type of on screen display showing and is left such as the guide. Sometimes I have seen it come in during tv or play back. A quick power pull will clear that issue until the next time.

Jason

26. jaswilliams

jaswilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Oh and also the box turns in between 3 and 4 to update the program guide,

27. MaffyBoon

MaffyBoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Yeah, and do note if you don't like the screen saver you can switch it off in the settings, or lengthen the delay before it appears. It's only there to prevent screen burn in tellys... If you listen to radio shows on freeview for a long time you can end up with the same thing on the screen regularly. This can eventually cause a permanent ghosted image on the screen. :)

28. joshtbh

joshtbh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all, is there anywhere I can read what sort of files I can play through the Fetch box's Media Centre function please?

I have a Windows Server on my network which normally serves my XBMCs but it'd be great to be able to use the Fetch to play my media if possible.

29. geoff1248

geoff1248
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use TVersity to stream media from my PC . Works fine for video,music and pictures. The latest version of TVersity costs a little bit but the previous version is free

30. billybo8

billybo8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Standby and recordings

Following the return of my last box the new one seemed at first to be spot on. The kids want to record Simpsons every day and if I set individual recordings all is well. I see a recording at 17.59 and all are there as they should be. If I set series link then nothing happens at all but I seem to remember there was a bug reported with that? Has anyone got series link to work?

Worse is that those are the only recordings that ever work. If I set it to record anything else it never happens. This must be because the box is in standby or low power standby whereas the box will usually be on when Simpsons comes on to record. I have just set a couple to try it out and it does not wake from standby. When I turn the box on the recording starts from that point.

What are the rules around standby and the box waking up to record? The old box was garbage but it would wake up from low power to make a totally random recording once in a while so I get the feeling this one might also be faulty. Unless it is something to do with power settings. Any help appreciated as otherwise iplayer and streaming is all working nicely and I can't face another month wait while Tesco ebay go through the motions.