1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ferrite - What a difference

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ajt, May 3, 2005.

1. ajt

ajt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe this should be in the Sky+ forum but it came about from planning a mains cable upgrade. Anyway, I was clearing out some boxes at the weekend and found a clip on ferrite so thought I'd stick it on the mains cable of the Sky+ - std cable looped through the ferrite twice. I was amazed at the improvement in PQ. I've never really been that happy before but put it down to the combination of low quality Sky+ components and the sharp LCD's noise problems (not an issue with HDMI DVD).

Gives me faith that its worth making up some diy cables with ferrites :thumbsup:

2. tigertimtim

tigertimtim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    anyone know where you can buy theese ferrite beads in the UK ? please, might be worth a look

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  4. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    john what is it, and what does it look like.

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    They're just big lumps of ferrous metal that sit around cables - some of your computer cables and often console controller have them situated at either end. They act as an inductor which will form a passive low-pass filter to help filter out any high frequency noise and are available in as split cores to be clamped around cables as a retro-fit.
    http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSe...No=0&Ntt=ferrite&Ntk=gensearch&comSearch=true

Quoting from the CPC site:
    Naturally it's important to get ones with a core diameter that fits around your cables.
    Maplins range is here:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=32792&doy=4m5

You can put them at either end of the cable but it's only really necessary to put them at the end of the cable nearest the component it's feeding (so in the "out" direction). :)