1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ferrite rings on plasma?..

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by swarrans, Nov 8, 2004.

1. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't tried putting the ferrite rings on my component cable into my plasma as recommended in the instructions - picture looks great, but should I put it on anyway?

Simon

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    nah they can help but as long as cables are good quality you should be fine mate

3. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The ferrites are included because most the plasma screens will not meet EMC (electromagnetic compatibility) emissions requirements for Class B (Home and residential use) without them. Failure to meet these requirments means the screen can only be marketed as a Class A product and reduces the marketing of these products for office and industrial use only.

Only put them on if for example you find that you new plasma screen interfers with your speaker ampifier say, or your radio. Otherwise put them aside.

One of the reasons for NOT putting them on is that ferrites can be effective in reducing the signals inside the cable as well (depending on how it is designed) and may in fact cause a degradation of picture quaility! A ferrite is a high frequency resistor of common mode signals and work best in the frequencies of 30-200MHz.