1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ferrite Cores

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by StooMonster, Feb 2, 2003.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    My Panny5 50" came with three ferrite cores (two big, one small). The manual says to put one ferrite core on each cable, so I put one big one around the VGA cable and the other big one around the component cable. Both with the ferrite cores positioned at plasma end of the cable.

But I noticed that the power cable and other cables with built in ferrite cores have them at both ends.

Should one have ferrite cores at each end of a cable? If so, where do I buy some more?

If not, which end of the cables should they be positioned (plasma end or source end)?

StooMonster

2. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just as a side-note . . . what do these actually do ???

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    AFAIK they stop Radio Frequency (RF) noise and Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) degrading the signal in cables; because long cables act as antenna (in effect). By adding impedence (with a ferrite core) to the cable you suppress this interference. This RF and EMI interference is not limited to tv/radio stations, but also household appliances, computers, cars, etc.

StooMonster

4. dalbaht

dalbaht
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have used Russ Andrews PowerCords (http://www.russandrews.com/home.html )on my HiFi which gave a significant improvement to sound quality (deeper bass extension and greater clarity around the instruments) and hear very good things about Isotek mains products.

They clean up mains electricity by removing RF and EMI and some of the more expensive gadgets will remove variations in voltage, frequency, power surges etc

I guess it is the same difference as using clean and dirty petrol in your car.

Has anybody experimented with these with their plasmas?

5. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mmmm, interesting . .. thanks for the info Stoo . .. suppose I should use the one's that came with my Panny then ! ;)