1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ferrite core on digital cable ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jonnyv, Apr 26, 2003.

1. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Im looking at buying a kimber digital audio cable, the model is AGDL
    http://www.kimber.com/agdl.htm

the seller has put a ferrite core near one end of the cable, my questions are :

What exactly are they supposed to do ?

do i plug the end with the ferrite core on into my dvd player or amp ?

thanks

2. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be wary - I've read reports of R&D peeps trying ferrite cores on analogue cables, and almost invariably this was accompanied by a significant loss of open-ness and dynamics. I have no idea what the effect would be on a digital cable, but it may well make the impedance less even, which is far from desirable from a jitter point of view.

3. graxxor

graxxor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ferrite cores for digital cables? Phaaa

My personal favourite is stained-glass cores for optical digital cables... Definite loss of transparency.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ferrite cores can be used on mains cable, but not on analogue or digital cable!

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    As far as I know the purpose of a ferrite core is to boost the inductance of the cable, which has the effect of turning it into a low-pass filter. This is useful on a mains cable, because it allows the basic 50Hz mains current to pass relatively unimpeded, but helps to screen out radio frequency interference and spikes. But on anything that is actually designed to carry high frequency signals I can't see how it could be a good idea.

6. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not quite sure what purpose it would serve, but my VGA lead has ferrite cores encapsulated at both source and monitor ends.

My guess is that it is designed to reduce induced RFI, rather than RFI in the signal itself.

I'll look it up sometime when I'm not writing a dissertation...:laugh:

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Ferrite cores/rings are used quite widely on video cables especially,in high EM interference environments,but I personally doubt they'd be useful in this setting.

Also worth bearing in mind is Kimber cable's high natural rejection of interference....I've certainly never found it to be a problem when using even long runs of Kimber interconnects in my system.