Ferries to France. Can't believe how the prices have changed!

Bill Hicks

Banned
Hi all. Me and the missus have a few days off next week and I thought a night in Calais with a decent meal and some wine would be a cheap as chips break. I enquired on P&O's website as to how much it would cost for two adult foot passenger return tickets from Dover to Calais.
The final price came in at £118.00 return! :eek:
I telephoned their booking office to confirm this price is correct and apparently it was!

The last time I travelled this route as a foot passenger it worked out at around £20 each return and that was only ten years ago.
How comes it has increased so much recently? Is this due to rising diesel costs?

Or is it just another example of rip-off Britain?

bearman3784

Distinguished Member
Hi all. Me and the missus have a few days off next week and I thought a night in Calais with a decent meal and some wine would be a cheap as chips break. I enquired on P&O's website as to how much it would cost for two adult foot passenger return tickets from Dover to Calais.
The final price came in at £118.00 return! :eek:
I telephoned their booking office to confirm this price is correct and apparently it was!

The last time I travelled this route as a foot passenger it worked out at around £20 each return and that was only ten years ago.
How comes it has increased so much recently? Is this due to rising diesel costs?

Or is it just another example of rip-off Britain?

Sounds more of a case of leaving it too late :laugh:

Ferries are the same as almost any transport service, the nearer the date you book, the more expensive they are. i looked into using a ferry for a crossing in september and it is coming in at £70 and thats with a car

majson83

aye i was about to ay norfolk line. not to the same place as the rest but fantastic value

IronGiant

We were all set to book a crossing with them this summer until we realised 4 of us need new passports...

majson83

they do a variety of special deals too, i once got a return for £13 ;)

IronGiant

Grrhhh...

Well done :thumbsup:

Dave

Dave Weystoner

My June P & O Dover-Calais crossing with 2 people, car and caravan is £25 cheaper this year than the same time of day and around the same date last year.

Dave

its_all_Greek

Distinguished Member
Due to my daughter now being at school i had to look at ferry crossings in August for the first time ever,
overnight ferries from Portsmouth to St-Malo and return from Caen to Portsmouth we were looking at the best part of a grand,
thats double what we would have paid just out of the peak times last year and this was looking at Xmas time so not last minute.

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
Due to my daughter now being at school i had to look at ferry crossings in August for the first time ever,
overnight ferries from Portsmouth to St-Malo and return from Caen to Portsmouth we were looking at the best part of a grand,
thats double what we would have paid just out of the peak times last year and this was looking at Xmas time so not last minute.

Brittant ferries are perhaps the most expensive. Nice boats and good food if you eat on the boat, but never cheap.

The arrival at St Malo, though is fabulous. You arrive in the morning just after breakfast and the views etc are just out of this world.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom