1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ferg TV: screen flicker @ scene change = PSU ? Pls advise

Discussion in 'TVs' started by driver8, Feb 25, 2005.

1. driver8

driver8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hoping someone can help.

I've got a cheapie 32" ws Ferguson (Thomson) TV, 10 months old; I'm happy with the picture (it was a BB in its day), and it's possible to watch it for hours without noticing anything odd.

##1 - However, it seems to be at sudden scene changes (from dark -> light ?) the screen will flicker. I first noticed when ads came on, and I thought the TV or skybox was resizing (or something) between 4:3 & ws (as this is my 1st ws TV). But as I've started to watch more dvd's, the same happens here. Worst seem to be live concerts with fast editing & flashing lights. So what could this be ? Definite fault ? Or just a symptom of a cheap set ? Someone has suggested this sounds like the PSU is faulty; does anyone have experience of this ?

##2 - I've contacted the supplier (internet - skybuy), and they have given me a local engineer to arrange a quote with. Cost is £65 callout which I need to pay to the eng, and skybuy has assured me they will refund me once it's confirmed the set does have a manufacturing defect. So is this the "proper" thing to do ? Seems a bit odd expecting me to pay upfront (within 12m warranty), but I can't really see another way round it. Anyone else with experience of getting an internet-bought set repaired ? (Obviously being 32" ws it's too big for me to take anywhere !)

Any advice gladly received ! :)

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    More than a bit odd, I'd say it's illegal! :devil:

Have a word with your local Trading Standards people.

A simple phone enquiry should be enough and they're generally very helpful.

Good luck! :smashin: