Fenix rising dlc 3

Raffboner

Established Member
Reaction score
Found this over at 360achievements.org

Microsoft has released details of the third batch of DLC for Epic's manly man-shooter, Gears of War 3. Called Fenix Rising, it features new maps, new character skins and a new XP system.

There are five new maps included in the pack, each of which draws from the history of the series. Academy is set in the military school Marcus was destined to attend, but defied tradition by skipping. Anvil takes place in the destroyed fortress of Anvegad, while Depths is where Marcus' dad, Adam Fenix, was held captive.

Meanwhile, Escalation takes place in and around the Fenix household and The Slab is the prison that Dom broke Marcus out of way back in Gears 1. All five of the maps are playable across Versus Multiplayer, Horde and Beast Mode.

The skins on offer are spread across COG and Locust designs. The pack offers up Recruit Clayton, Thrashball Cole, Savage Marauder and Savage Kantus character models.

Perhaps of most interest to the ultra-hardcore, however, is the new levelling system. This allows players to effectively "Prestige" once they hit level 100. Chose to do this and your experience and rank will be reset and your rank icon colour will change. This is possible up to three times, moving from Bronze to Red, Green and then Gold.

Furthermore, each Prestige level (Epic are calling it "Re-up") after Bronze also awards the player an exclusive, custom weapon skin. These are:

Re-Up Plasma – Animated flowing plasma in gold.
Re-Up Omen – Shiny, red Omen.
Re-Up Electric – Animated, golden electric shocks.
Out on Jan 17th, the Marcus Rising pack will set you back 800 MSP. Owners of the Season Pass get it for free.

Looks like I will be going back to rank 1:D

Its kind of wierd I have been trying to play Skyrim but I keep getting dragged back to Gears:facepalm:

The skins on offer are spread across COG and Locust designs. The pack offers up Recruit Clayton, Thrashball Cole, Savage Marauder and Savage Kantus character models.
I wondered how long it would be before this was done...

While I'm quite happy to get Thrashball Cole - if only to complete the set - I can imagine people who earned him through the beta won't be too happy.

As the multiplayer maps will presumably be for all there is not a huge amount there for season passers, BUT that being said, I like the prestige idea and is something a lot of people have been asking for

SO LONG AS

There is no achievement for unlocking the final electric liquid skin!

If there is that will be a real ballache.

I must be one of the few that think this DLC is rubbish. The maps will eventually be free for everyone so your effectively paying for some skins and the chance to prestige :rolleyes:

Oh and "re-up" ??? Seriously? That is the worst name for prestiging I've ever heard!

Where does it say the maps will be free for everyone eventually?
As predicted I'm annoyed about thrash all cole being there, I put a lot of time into unlocking that (for a beta at least)
5 maps for 800 points is much better value than you get on halo and CoD plus extra bits n bobs so no reason to complain really, unless crovon is correct that is

I must be one of the few that think this DLC is rubbish. The maps will eventually be free for everyone so your effectively paying for some skins and the chance to prestige :rolleyes:

Oh and "re-up" ??? Seriously? That is the worst name for prestiging I've ever heard!

Actually I think you have it the wrong way round.... given that it will be free to all, from a season pass perspective i think a LOT of people think it is rubbish. (I just didnt want to moan about why paying for DLC which everyone else get for free aside from a few skins and achievements is unfair in yet another thread ;) )

--------------------------------------
Crovon presumably got his info from the gears forum. DLC 1 (the one which was already on the disk but was locked - another issue worthy of rant there imo) had the same issue.

The powers that be decided that the only way to have everyone make use of the new maps was to put them into rotation for all, otherwise people who purchased them would not get to play on them.

Its a good point, and I kind of agree, it was a PITA when I had gears 2 all DLC being limited when playing with mates without it BUT it means that they really need to come up with good ways to make the season pass good value.

The only way I can possibly see that as being do-able would be to release more stuff like raams shadow to season passers and then make multiplayer maps from that DLC which is then available to all.

Sadly (in my view) that is not what they have done.

Last edited:
I have seen YouTube vids of preorder & beta skins which are classed as alternative but I want the thrashball locusts to come out. Personally I've been happy with my season pass purchase (apart from the delays) looks like I will be saving 400 points with one to go, I always get all the cheevos so I would of bought dlc one way or another. Could be worse could play MW2.5 then I would feel ripped off.

Zzebedee said:
Where does it say the maps will be free for everyone eventually?
As predicted I'm annoyed about thrash all cole being there, I put a lot of time into unlocking that (for a beta at least)
5 maps for 800 points is much better value than you get on halo and CoD plus extra bits n bobs so no reason to complain really, unless crovon is correct that is

I'd also like to know if the maps will be free to all again eventually.

If that's the case, then again I will have no reason to purchase this one. I will just go ahead and buy the Raam DLC seperately, and wait and see what the last piece of DLC is.

It's already been confirmed you can only play the maps with the DLC........................... :suicide: :facepalm:

scanz said:
It's already been confirmed you can only play the maps with the DLC........................... :suicide: :facepalm:

For now yes but like the other DLC given a month or two I reckon they will follow suit and be free for everyone to download.

For now yes but like the other DLC given a month or two I reckon they will follow suit and be free for everyone to download.
The other wasn't DLC though, it was a 'booster' map pack. Which DLC is actually available free? So far we've had Horde and RAAM Shadow, neither of which available for free from what I know......

The Fenix Rising DLC is DLC, which you have to pay for :smashin:

scanz said:
The other wasn't DLC though, it was a 'booster' map pack. Which DLC is actually available free? So far we've had Horde and RAAM Shadow, neither of which available for free from what I know......

The Fenix Rising DLC is DLC, which you have to pay for :smashin:

The horde dlc had new maps which were released for everyone free as part of the booster map pack and only a couple of months later too.

They also confirmed at the time that those maps were only playable in private games as part of the horde DLC, until they made them free.

I'm sure the same thing will happen with these maps too.

Last edited:
The horde dlc had new maps which were released for everyone free as part of the booster map pack and only a couple of months later too.

They also confirmed at the time that those maps were only playable in private games as part of the horde DLC, until they made them free.

I'm sure the same thing will happen with these maps too.
But the main features of the Horde DLC are the Horde features, which you still need to pay for. As we've both said, the maps that came with it were simply released as a 'booster' map pack. Few of the Gears guys have already tweeted saying you will need the DLC for Fenix Rising maps and that they'll be playable online.

Last edited:
But the main features of the Horde DLC are the Horde features, which you still need to pay for. As we've both said, the maps that came with it were simply released as a 'booster' map pack. Few of the Gears guys have already tweeted saying you will need the DLC for Fenix Rising maps and that they'll be playable online.

Of course the epic guys are going to say that, they want everyone to buy it. But they will still make them free to everyone later as part of another 'booster/holiday treat' map pack :rolleyes:

However, in essence, its still not worth the points that you pay for it.

With horde we basically paid 800 msp (600 with season pass) for some achievements, extra fortifications and some character & weapon skins.
With fenix we basically pay 800 msp (600 w SP) for some achievements, the chance to prestige and get some character skins.

Raams shadow is more along the lines of what I was expecting with the season pass as the content was worth the price that we paid for it.

Instead anyone who bought the season pass is just being mugged off by Epic. You obviously think that you are getting value for money so thats fair enough for you mate. :smashin:

I and many others however dont and Im beginning to wish I never bought the sodding thing now.

Last edited:
Of course the epic guys are going to say that, they want everyone to buy it. But they will still make them free to everyone later as part of another 'booster/holiday treat' map pack :rolleyes:
I'm still not so sure. I mean, this wasn't the case for Gears of War 2. To play the DLC maps on there you had to buy the DLC, they were never released for free as a 'booster' pack. I don't see why they would change this.

Yes, they released the Horde maps as a 'booster' pack, but we kind of knew something 'fishy' was going on with these when they were initially only available in private matches. The difference with the Fenix rising DLC is that they are meant to be available online from the off. You can also see some reasoning in why they released the 'booster' map pack given the amount of other games released in November.

Instead anyone who bought the season pass is just being mugged off by Epic. You obviously think that you are getting value for money so thats fair enough for you mate. :smashin:
I certainly do. It's the only game I'm playing at the moment and play all game modes, so certainly feel I get the money's worth. Those that just want campaign DLC or just multiplayer maps it's certainly not worth purchasing.

This reminds me of Fable 2 where you could download the dlc but if you wanted the cheevos and bonuses then you had to pay. Maybe Epic should of given us an idea of what dlc was coming before releasing the pass and included the booster pack releases so we knew what we were getting. This is the problem with these passes all over xbox to many grey areas but all they care about is making money in most cases and not player satisfaction. Personally im happy with the pass but I see why a lot of people are not.

Could be worse they could release thrashball cole skin as dlc and annoy a lot more people, oh wait they already have

Last edited:

However, in essence, its still not worth the points that you pay for it.

With horde we basically paid 800 msp (600 with season pass) for some achievements, extra fortifications and some character & weapon skins.
With fenix we basically pay 800 msp (600 w SP) for some achievements, the chance to prestige and get some character skins.

Raams shadow is more along the lines of what I was expecting with the season pass as the content was worth the price that we paid for it.

I and many others however dont and Im beginning to wish I never bought the sodding thing now.

Gets worse I'm afraid if the rumours are true :(

The Season Pass will be discounted as part of the 12 days of Xbox Deals. Possibly will be 1800MSP.

12 Days of Xbox: Day 5 Hits Us With SFIII: Third Strike Online Edition - Xbox 360 News At Xbox360Achievements.org

and it was mentioned over at HUKD's too:

Xbox countdown to 2012 new years sale! - Page 2 - HotUKDeals

OMG the s*** is going to hit the fan if thats true and the pass is down to 1800 especially on the Epic forums.

That's even worse!

We haven't even had the 4 lots of DLC that we've paid for yet.

Total shafting if this is true.

Last edited:
That's pretty bad if true. They should reimburse those who have already bought it, or at least give us some kind of exclusive.

Just wondering if an achievement list has been released yet for this dlc?

Not seen one. I imagine we'll have one by the start of next week tho, seeing as its only 2 weeks away. Can't wait to be honest now I have the season pass :laugh: absolutely loving this game at the moment, and nothing else is even getting close to the Xbox!!

As it's a MP dlc im thinking there will be atleast one re-up cheevo.

Here is the list of achievements for dlc 3:

•Now They Begin to Understand – Complete 12 waves of Beast on all Fenix Rising Maps. (20 points)
•Defending the Past – Complete all 50 waves of Horde on any of the Fenix Rising Maps. (25 points)
•Come to Poppa – Win a Versus multiplayer match as a team of five Recruit Claytons (any mode). (15
points)
•Locust, Forever – Win a Versus multiplayer match as a team of five Savage Marauders (any mode). (15
points)
•Time to Re-up – Achieve level 100 and choose to re-up for another tour of duty. (50 points)
•Again! – Achieve level 100 a second time and choose to re-up for another tour of duty. (50 points)
•I’ ve Done it All! – Earn at least one of each of the original 132 combat ribbons. (75 points)

Btw got these of the Epic forums, actually there not to bad as I love horde and beast.

I'd like to think this will be free too as ive still resisted buying the season pass as im only interested in maps.

I can see this going one of 2 ways:

1) after a little while, they'll realise people cant play together as some have maps and some don't.
2) they may learn from last time and maybe add a seperate playlist for people with map packs - what they really should do is release a playlist for season pass holders (as not all season players would ONLY want to play new maps)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom