Fence wars 2.0

Because more often than not, the paint leaks through to the other side and dribbles down. Then there's the top of the fence that's painted too..

...if spray paint is used as opposed to paint from a can, then it won't drip down. The top can be left unpainted.

....just to play devil's advocate here - what would happen if you did actually paint the side of the fence facing your garden, can you be taken to court or anything? Would the council/police be involved?

If the answers to these questions are all 'nothing' or 'no' then I would go ahead and paint the face if I was in this situation.....!!

In a house I lived in a few years ago I put up a brand new fence on all sides after getting permission off all neighbours.
I even asked them to stain their sides as I knew it would protect ‘my’ fence.
One neighbour decided to spray his side a nice dark brown, and I found overspray all over my conservatory :mad:

Last edited:
I had a neighbour once who put up a couple of fence panels to give them privacy on their patio. I was going to do the exact same, but they did it before me. They were new build properties and the developer had just installed a chain link fence between us.

After my neighbour had finished, I removed the chain link fence my side, and attached the cut end to the end of her new fence. Suppose I should of asked, ‘cos she went ape s**t. Accused me of stealing some of her garden, the bit where the chain link was. Got quite heated, so I put the chain link back.

So I then put up some of my own fence panels, next to hers, with the chain link sandwiched in between.

Stupid cow, if I had done it first, and she did the same with the chain link, wouldn’t of mattered a jot with me.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree and funny it so here is the :laugh:

I had a neighbour once who put up a couple of fence panels to give them privacy on their patio. I was going to do the exact same, but they did it before me. They were new build properties and the developer had just installed a chain link fence between us.

After my neighbour had finished, I removed the chain link fence my side, and attached the cut end to the end of her new fence. Suppose I should of asked, ‘cos she went ape s**t. Accused me of stealing some of her garden, the bit where the chain link was. Got quite heated, so I put the chain link back.

So I then put up some of my own fence panels, next to hers, with the chain link sandwiched in between.

Stupid cow, if I had done it first, and she did the same with the chain link, wouldn’t of mattered a jot with me.

I need a diagram to understand this.

The chain link was either on his side of the original posts or down the middle. So she's had 2-4" of her garden "stolen".

Muppet woman...

Sorry to hear yet another miserable neighbour story. What’s wrong with some people, children are meant to play have fun and make some noise.

Just paint your side if you don’t like it. And if you can see the top from your windows don’t forgot that part :)
Agreed. We're retired, kids have flown the nest and it's too quiet. We have a primary school at the end of the road; it's great to hear them shouting and squealing at play times.

We had our next door but one neighbour approach us soon after moving in to this house and they told us how lovely it was to hear children playing in the garden. Cruella Deville next door disagrees with that statement :D

You aint got a kids trampoline thing have you? :clap:
trampoline sale.png

Not anymore...:laugh::laugh:

I took two posts out on my side this morning. I put them in to give her fence some extra support because it was really wobbly. I decided it made sense to remove them in light of the whole fence being replaced next week.

came back to find another two panels down. Goes to show how much those posts I put in were doing.

8B95E40E-8937-4A6E-A797-4D3AA5583F2D.jpeg

Well, the fence is done and it’s actually not bad at all. Not a very high fence which is disappointing but it looks reasonable. I found out why it was so cheap too- it took them three hours. Also they cut the tops off a few posts but they haven’t been treated or no fence post tops were put on. Hopefully when dry they will be done.

7A4B7A35-EA6A-4087-BF62-316DE3E76812.jpeg

...just to continue this thread (as it is about fences and to save starting another 'fence' thread!!!), I have a question on my similar fences!!!

1582189182106.png

So using the above photo as an example (we have the same style fences - only at the back of the garden) and assuming the fence with all the arrows is the back fence at the rear of the garden, would this fence generally belong to me or the neighbour?

My question is this :

During the past week, I have noticed that some of the slats have become loose and dropped down, so much so, that you can now see straight through the fence (the blue areas). Also, there are concrete posts instead of the wooden ones (the red arrows). The fence is actually quite weathered and to be honest, needs replacing (when the current weather becomes dryer).

Would it be a simple case of removing the old panel (the black area) and slotting a new one in?

Looking on the B & Q website, these panels are only around £12 which is quite reasonable......

Just had this note come through the door. I’ve not said a word to the neighbour since the fence was installed yesterday. She then drops the note off. Random:laugh:

I Honestly don’t know what her beef is. Other than old age, living alone with nobody to say ‘stop being silly Dear’

here’s the note for your viewing pleasure. Thoughts ?

the other half worked from home yesterday because she didn’t like the idea of a load of blokes in our garden. They looked a bit dodgy.

4F49F077-8081-492A-B408-874126B424EC.jpeg

Last edited:
So using the above photo as an example (we have the same style fences - only at the back of the garden) and assuming the fence with all the arrows is the back fence at the rear of the garden, would this fence generally belong to me or the neighbour?

My question is this :

During the past week, I have noticed that some of the slats have become loose and dropped down, so much so, that you can now see straight through the fence (the blue areas). Also, there are concrete posts instead of the wooden ones (the red arrows). The fence is actually quite weathered and to be honest, needs replacing (when the current weather becomes dryer).

Would it be a simple case of removing the old panel (the black area) and slotting a new one in?

Looking on the B & Q website, these panels are only around £12 which is quite reasonable......
It will depend on the deeds, but usually you own the fence to your left and your neighbour owns the fence on your right \ their left (although that seems to be the opposite for @Wahreo). For the fence at the foot of the garden, typically it will be shared ownership between you and that neighbour, unless it's their left-hand fence, in which case it's quite likely that they own it. You'll need to check the deeds to be sure, though.

If your concrete posts are still solid, it should be fine to swap the tatty panel for a new one.

My rear fence is shared with another two gardens. I just told them I was replacing and I covered all the costs. No drama. To be fair, the two that back on o me have very large garden so can’t even see their back fences.

Just had this note come through the door. I’ve not said a work to the neighbour since the fence was installed yesterday. She then drops the note off. Random:laugh:

I Honestly don’t know what her beef is. Other than old age, living alone with nobody to say ‘stop being silly Dear’

here’s the note for your viewing pleasure. Thoughts ?

the other half worked from home yesterday because she didn’t like the idea of a load of blokes in our garden. They looked a bit dodgy.

If that came through my door, I'd definitely look at getting a (taller) fence erected on my side of the boundary and telling her to get stuffed.

If that came through my door, I'd definitely look at getting a (taller) fence erected on my side of the boundary and telling her to get stuffed.

bang on. I had even decided once I’d seen the fence that I wasn’t going to put another one up in front. The note changed that decision.

the children were petrified of the ball tapping fence anyway because she would shriek at them. At least she won’t be able to complain if the ball does tap my own fence.

I’ve told everyone in the house to ignore her next door. I don’t think there’s any reasoning with her. Plus I don’t want to start a slanging match with an old lady. She’s hit that age where she is miserable. She fell out with the previous owners and the neighbours the other side. A couple of years ago it was explained to her that it can’t always be everyone else in the wrong.

Dear XXXX

I had just prepared a cheque written out to you, to cover half the cost of the recently installed fence but after reading your note, you can whistle.

Best

Wazza

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom