Fence wars 2.0

Could be worse ;)

fc134ff760b24449729c1c4d18dcb545.png
Is that not what certain sections of society call rustic?

Reading threads like this make me count my blessings that I live in the country.
Yeah, that was what is was quite like in my town, for a large number of properties, with sweeping views across the valley and the church steeple of a distant village.
That was until David Wilson Homes bought the land opposite them :)

Can you not just paint it anyway? Would she really sue you if you did, and how would she prove that she didn't give you approval to paint it?

Reading threads like this make me count my blessings that I live in the country.
Depends on how good the farmer is at maintaining his fences. The farmer on who's land my garden borders is a pain the a***. His fence broke well over a year ago and if it wasn't for our fence his horses would be munching on my lawn. They do regularly put their heads over our fence to have a nibble.

I’m self contained other than one fence. We’re talking 30 odd panels at least at the back and one side. This is just ten panels that we don’t own. Anyway, I’ve made my mind up and will be putting my own closed board fence up after hers is up. Just need to double check with the council to check the height (I believe it’s 2 metres) and then I can do exactly what I want with my fence. It’ll be worth it.

I'm intrigued by what's going to happen here. As good as some stuff from Netflix!!

So my question is what happened in Fence Wars 1.0?

Feel for continuity I should know what went down in the prequel :D

I was being modest, actually this fence wars debacle on AVF is probably up to about 12.0 by now.

funniest, (I think) was the top of the fence thread :D

I’m self contained other than one fence. We’re talking 30 odd panels at least at the back and one side. This is just ten panels that we don’t own. Anyway, I’ve made my mind up and will be putting my own closed board fence up after hers is up. Just need to double check with the council to check the height (I believe it’s 2 metres) and then I can do exactly what I want with my fence. It’ll be worth it.

One tiny warning.......

As it's her fence, which means she's responsible.
If she wants to be difficult, or perhaps even in time wishes to have repairs done to her fence, or get it covered in preservative.
Might you have to legally remove your "covering fence" to give her access to her fence?

A long shot I guess, but just something to be aware of?
Might you be able to fit your panels up in such a way/method that it's very easy to remove them, just in case, as some point in the future?

"Might you have to legally remove your "covering fence" to give her access to her fence?"

Then surely the opposite applies and shortly after she has completed said maintenance and you have rebuilt your fence you request access to her side of your fence. 😊

One tiny warning.......

As it's her fence, which means she's responsible.
If she wants to be difficult, or perhaps even in time wishes to have repairs done to her fence, or get it covered in preservative.
Might you have to legally remove your "covering fence" to give her access to her fence?

A long shot I guess, but just something to be aware of?
Might you be able to fit your panels up in such a way/method that it's very easy to remove them, just in case, as some point in the future?

Why would he be legally obliged to give her access to his property? If she wants to maintain her fence but doesn’t have access, she’ll have to take her fence down to get to it.

"Might you have to legally remove your "covering fence" to give her access to her fence?"

Then surely the opposite applies and shortly after she has completed said maintenance and you have rebuilt your fence you request access to her side of your fence. 😊
Normally the boundary is owned by one party, not two.

Why would he be legally obliged to give her access to his property? If she wants to maintain her fence but doesn’t have access, she’ll have to take her fence down to get to it.
Access to neighbouring land act 1992 ;)

All this can be avoided if all parties aren’t so stubborn. But unfortunately people are for whatever reason and this as a last resort the law can intervene. Seems a silly way to go down to me as the costs will be totally wasted but hey ho.

When out neighbour wanted to build their extension they could avoid crane hire if we allowed an excavating tracked vehicle to go over our land on to theirs. Likewise when they had to do roof work, it was safer for the ladders to be on the ground on our land than on theirs for certain places. Why wouldn’t we allow that on the premise that all is made good afterwards.

What gives her the right to install her fence on the boundary line and not you?
wait till her fence has been removed and before the new one goes up quickly bang in your own posts and tell the old cow not to touch them.

What gives her the right to install her fence on the boundary line and not you?
wait till her fence has been removed and before the new one goes up quickly bang in your own posts and tell the old cow not to touch them.
Most commonly that she owns them as per the deeds ;) We have three boundaries at the back and don’t own any of them.

Normally the boundary is owned by one party, not two.

Access to neighbouring land act 1992 ;)

All this can be avoided if all parties aren’t so stubborn. But unfortunately people are for whatever reason and this as a last resort the law can intervene. Seems a silly way to go down to me as the costs will be totally wasted but hey ho.

When out neighbour wanted to build their extension they could avoid crane hire if we allowed an excavating tracked vehicle to go over our land on to theirs. Likewise when they had to do roof work, it was safer for the ladders to be on the ground on our land than on theirs for certain places. Why wouldn’t we allow that on the premise that all is made good afterwards.

the context here is that we are potentially going to be stuck with one side of the garden with horrible looking fence panels that we aren’t allowed to paint or stain. Therefore I’d like to put my own fence up in front of hers and stain it the same as the rest of my fence panels which I own. If she then asks for access to paint the side of her panels that face my garden I’d be very surprised.

Neighbours squabbling is such a shame - you can have the most nicest of houses, in a superb area, with a nice garden and it can all be ruined by a really cr@ppy neighbour....:(

If the neighbour puts up a fence, how will they know if you paint the side which is facing your garden??! Seems overly pointless and a waste of money to erect another fence in front of theirs.....???! o_O

Because more often than not, the paint leaks through to the other side and dribbles down. Then there's the top of the fence that's painted too..
A neighbourly cooperative way of doing that then is when the OP paints it first and then the neighbour paints it. Perhaps a gently touch up there after and both parties can be happy 👍

She doesn’t want to know. Her exact words ‘as it’ll be a nice brand new, nice looking fence I’d like you not to paint it’

Daft IMO, all fences I have ever installed I’ve stained. I usually spray them.

It does seem like madness putting another fence up but we’ve had bad relations over her fence when she has a meltdown if a ball hits it. Which happens very rarely.

A neighbourly cooperative way of doing that then is when the OP paints it first and then the neighbour paints it. Perhaps a gently touch up there after and both parties can be happy 👍

I would be perfectly happy to stain both sides, supply the stain etc. Doesn’t want to know.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom