Fence wars 2.0

Wahreo

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Old Lady next door is having her fence replaced. She came over to let us know. Naturally it came down due to my sons football occasionally hitting it and nothing to do with the recent storms. Anyway. I just know it’s going to be a God awful bright orange cheap and nasty fence and she has instructed us not to paint our side. Is there any legality suggesting we shouldn’t? Or just common decency?

I think I’m going to bite the bullet and put a new fence up in front of hers, at least then I’ll have my own fences right round so can do exactly what I want.

I had the same problem so I bought some wood from the local timber yard and screwed it to the posts
D0DCFAC8-983F-4A61-AC53-470BFD85E8C5.jpeg

Old Lady next door is having her fence replaced. She came over to let us know. Naturally it came down due to my sons football occasionally hitting it and nothing to do with the recent storms. Anyway. I just know it’s going to be a God awful bright orange cheap and nasty fence and she has instructed us not to paint our side. Is there any legality suggesting we shouldn’t? Or just common decency?

I think I’m going to bite the bullet and put a new fence up in front of hers, at least then I’ll have my own fences right round so can do exactly what I want.

If she's as much joy as you paint her to be (no pun intended), then I'd be inclined to instruct her not to let the gate hit her on the arse on the way out. Unless you dribble paint through your side onto her side, then I'm fairly sure she hasn't got any real power over what you do in your own garden - If it was a colour not to your liking, how can she possibly expect you to look at it for the next 10 years? How would she ever know if you painted it anyway?

#shortthrift

Paint "This fence belongs to misery guts next door" on your side of the old one before it is taken away :)

I'm sure this will improve relations massively :)

Could you offer to go half and get a decent fence put in?

I’m not paying her a penny. The last thing the old bag said to me was last summer when she told me to ‘shuuut it’ in the most awful shreaking voice. I’ve paid for fences right the way round my property. A proper job with closed board panels, concrete posts and gravel board.

I think putting my own fence up will solve a lot of problems. It’ll shut her up for a start if the ball ever does hit her fence. It’s probably hit ten times in the last 4 years. Just a tap each time. No way could it cause damage.

Sorry to hear yet another miserable neighbour story. What’s wrong with some people, children are meant to play have fun and make some noise.

Just paint your side if you don’t like it. And if you can see the top from your windows don’t forgot that part :)

Tell her you're going to put up an Aussie style 9 ft steel fence painted luminous yellow on her side and she's not allowed to paint it :laugh:

You can't do anything to a fence that you don't own..... If you don't like it then unless you get the neighbours permission to paint it you can only erect your own fence to cover it - you cannot as mentioned above affix panneling to her fence.... :(

....but of course make sure that she does own it first :)

An interesting read....

Particularly....

Fences, appearance of: What can I do about the unsightliness of my neighbour's fence?

Unless your neighbour agrees, you cannot:
  • paint, stain or varnish your neighbour's fence to make it a more attractive colour;
  • affix close boards or panels to your face of the fence in order to conceal the support rails;
  • attach trellis or some other system to support plants that you wish to grow up your side of your neighbour's fence.
What you can do is:
  • plant free standing shrubs or a hedge to conceal the fence from your view;
  • erect your own fence alongside your neighbour's fence.

edit: Shotokan101 beat me to it!

Yes legally I won’t touch her fence.

the silly thing is that only one of her panels came down out of ten.

she said that ‘it’s only £350 more to get the whole lot done’

keep in mind this is ten panels. Sounds like Bloody Lidl Balsa wood fence panels.:laugh:

How about you dig a 30cm deep trench right up to the boundary line on your side and make it say about 40 cm wide. Explain your going to build a dry stone wall or, don’t even bother explaining anything

Then sit back and watch whoever comes along to build the new fence struggle to get it any where near the border as it will be impossible for them to dig holes near the boundary line due to your trench.

I would guess they would need to place the fence at least 40 cm away from the boundary line on her side before they can effectively drive the posts in.

you might find that as your neighbour is significantly hampered by not being able to easily build their fence right up to the boundary line that they become a lot more gracious

Not quite that easy as there is a small wall. A couple or three bricks high on my side, a dozen or so her side as the garden is lower.....

You can see the wall at the bottom.

......and if you look closely you can see the two support posts I dug in and concreted in on my side to stop the whole thing falling down a couple of years ago.

watch this space for updates. Who knows, the new fence might be lovely :D

7B148311-49DB-489D-8491-8EC169DBE881.jpeg

I see now what you mean, and of course the bricks belong to the neighbour.

I’ve always preferred dry stone walls to fences or laurel bushes but, I appreciate that house builders consider dry stone walls uneconomical and trees / bushes call it wall you will are probably not worth the increased fall out they can cause between neighbours

Who does this one belong to now? I guess its hers?
If not, I think I would take a few days off work and build your own in exactly the same place as this one and paint a large arse on her side and tell her not to paint it.
If/when she builds hers it will have to be a little more into her land.

AVF forums; loveliest people you'll meet on the internet when your marriage breaks down, you or a family member is afflicted by a horrible disease, or your dog dies.

Mention a fence though and they all turn into right 'orrible fudgers :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Why don't you offer to go halves on replacing the fence between the two of you? Get it legally binding by a solicitor. Then you paint your side or whatever you want to do with; even kick footballs at it. Don't tell her thats your intention of course. :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom