female to double female ethernet splitter??

p.e.no1

basically i am redoing the living room and have a sony bdve870 connected to internet and set up to see the pc upstairs.i`m also gonna put the 360 downstairs which i would use to go online with.as i have only put one cat5 cable into the room would something like this

http://www.myrazer.co.uk/storefront...spx?sfid=196633&i=249103812&mpid=12194&dfid=1

be ok to use so i dont have to keep swapping cables around everytime i want to use each devise?could i have both units on and use internet on both?

cheers

p.e.no1

thanks for quick reply.so i could just put the switch in the living room then feed say 2x 1 metre cables from that to each devise and that should work ok??any links to a decent switch?

1st time working with a simple network so still trying to get head round it lol have managed to get sony to see all files i use apart from mkv.i don`t suppose you have any advice on that part too:lesson:

Prowse

If you're wanting to transmit (ethernet) data over this then a splitter is a no-no. Apart from reducing the bandwidth the cable can carry, you'd cause serious collisions and retransmissions over this link. If you've got a decent router/switch the port could even be shut-down temporarily. These cable-joiners would only really be of use if you were sending video-over-cat5, audio or similar non-IP signals over the cable.
If you want to just have the one cable down to your lounge, you'll need a little hub or a switch (should retail at £10 for a cheap home one).

Prowse

thanks for quick reply.so i could just put the switch in the living room then feed say 2x 1 metre cables from that to each devise and that should work ok??any links to a decent switch?

1st time working with a simple network so still trying to get head round it lol have managed to get sony to see all files i use apart from mkv.i don`t suppose you have any advice on that part too:lesson:

Yep that'll do it.

Deadringers

Distinguished Member

First part:
yes that will work, so you have your ethernet cable coming from where ever that carries the network and internet. then this will go into the switch. then from the switch to each of the devices you will just need ethernet cables of however long you need.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom