• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Female-Led ‘Fast & Furious’ Spin-Off in Development

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
I think Michelle Rodriguez once called for female-led spin-off.

An all-female Fast & Furious spin-off is currently in development and moving forward with writers Nicole Perlman, Lindsey Beer and Geneva Robertson-Dworet.

Vin Diesel;
As you know, there are three new spin offs that We have promised Universal... well this week we heard a pitch for the Fast female protagonist driven spinoff I created in 2017. Shout out to Nicole Perlman, Lindsey Beer, Geneva Robertson-Dworet. Welcome to the Fast FAMILY...

richp007

Distinguished Member
No thanks. I wish they'd stop with this thinking. I haven't even managed to finish Ocean's 8 yet, and not even sure I will.

I'm all for girl power :D but sometimes it's just not necessary. I like chicks and cars, but there's YouTube for that! ;)

D

Deleted member 795353

How dare they make films that don't appeal to the white, male, 18-45 demographic. Grr Arggg etc... :laugh:
I thought Ocean's 8 was pretty decent. Captain Marvel made sense. She was already an air force pilot, cocky and cock sure (enough with the male genitalia), then she got powers (Hal Jordan anyone). After that she got trained by an elite alien fighting force. Hattie from Hobbs & Shaw was seriously bad-ass.

But overall It's just getting a little silly. Dark Fate shows how silly. The Last Jedi had the most Mary Sue of characters ever created. Do we even want to mention Ghostbusters? Even Star Wars suffered down the line with Solo's losses and their theme park either closed or will be soon. Actually the Last Jedi alienated the core audience in order to bring in a new audience. So now Star Wars has a split audience.
You don't make money by s**ting on your core audience. They are the ones who buy the merch, and repeat watch the films.

Last edited by a moderator:

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Speaking as a man I like seeing women characters on screen kicking ass. But aren't women getting tired of this? Isn't it just shallow pandering? Remaking everything with girls rather than developing interesting new female characters/ franchises? Are regular female cinemagoers asking for this? Maybe some of our lady members can let us know.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
because Ghostbusters was such a hit

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Speaking as a man I like seeing women characters on screen kicking ass. But aren't women getting tired of this? Isn't it just shallow pandering? Remaking everything with girls rather than developing interesting new female characters/ franchises? Are regular female cinemagoers asking for this? Maybe some of our lady members can let us know.

I don't mind all female casts but doing it for the sake of doing it irks me. (Not woman, just giving my opinion).

If you want an all female cast that is fine but don't take a movie that is has a defined cast and just slap them all in there.

If you are going to attempt to do it make sure you got a decent cast.

theprestige

Prominent Member

Agreed. Half of my favourite characters in cinema and TV are female, and not all are necessarily action heroes. It does come across as shallow and quota ticking and I think we are reaching a point where people are starting to feel patronised.

Ultimately, it should be about rounded, complex women rather than a influx of female characters. Quality over quantity and all that. And yes, having them be good looking and shapely doesn't hurt!

D

Deleted member 795353

What's really funny is that they have women taking over mens roles and in the case of Batman literally taking his stuff. But then Bat(wo)man says, I'm not going to let a man take the credit for a woman's work!

Think about that for a minute!

She's taken "his" lair, "his" cars, "his" planes, "his" gadgets and even modified "his" costume. But she doesn't want "a man" to take credit for woman's work. What about all the work she's just stolen lol? Does she want his balls too?

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor

If I were a woman, I don't know that I'd feel particularly welcome here, if I'm absolutely honest.

Having had this conversation with my other half, it was agreed before we even started that the idea of switching out genders in movies is not, at it's heart, an automatically bad thing. Writers have been doing it for decades under the banner of 'textual intervention' and it can be interesting or it can be a waste of time. It can be politically motivated or it can be purely for fun. It can be a creative endeavour or a race to make money off an old idea. Films are no different in this way, other than this type of 'textual intervention' has become more common in screenplays over the last 10 years or so (but not new - Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde).
What she was irked by was the ability to see the gears turning behind the scenes. An all female cast as a cynical ploy to reinvigorate a franchise is obvious when you see it and kind of insulting to the audience. Equally, when it's done with honesty, it shows and can make for some extremely successful cinema. Compare Terminator Dark Fate to Mad Max Fury Road. One comes across as a way to get money for old rope which, while well made, is ultimately a bit of a cynical failure, the other a pretty bold creative choice which turns a franchise on its head to incredible effect.

The action of recentring around women is not, in and of itself, a 'bad idea'. But, as with all film making, tossing it out for $$$ is always going to turn an interesting premise into trash.
Ocean's 8 and, likely The Fem and the Furious, fall solidly into the cynical recycling of old ideas for cash and, with Ocean's 8, boy does it show.

Interesting Outlier: I think Ghostbusters was that weird middle ground where almost no one had the right end of the stick. I get the feeling that the people involved in making it thought it was honest and the people involved in criticising it were positive it was "pushing agendas", the people funding it were likely firmly in cash grab mode, but the truth of it is probably that it was just a really badly written movie that had its own dumb marketing turned against it.

TL; DR - All women casts can be great! FaFu is never great, regardless of the cast.

D

Deleted member 795353

If I were a woman, I don't know that I'd feel particularly welcome here, if I'm absolutely honest.

Having had this conversation with my other half, it was agreed before we even started that the idea of switching out genders in movies is not, at it's heart, an automatically bad thing. Writers have been doing it for decades under the banner of 'textual intervention' and it can be interesting or it can be a waste of time. It can be politically motivated or it can be purely for fun. It can be a creative endeavour or a race to make money off an old idea. Films are no different in this way, other than this type of 'textual intervention' has become more common in screenplays over the last 10 years or so (but not new - Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde).
What she was irked by was the ability to see the gears turning behind the scenes. An all female cast as a cynical ploy to reinvigorate a franchise is obvious when you see it and kind of insulting to the audience. Equally, when it's done with honesty, it shows and can make for some extremely successful cinema. Compare Terminator Dark Fate to Mad Max Fury Road. One comes across as a way to get money for old rope which, while well made, is ultimately a bit of a cynical failure, the other a pretty bold creative choice which turns a franchise on its head to incredible effect.

The action of recentring around women is not, in and of itself, a 'bad idea'. But, as with all film making, tossing it out for $$$ is always going to turn an interesting premise into trash.
Ocean's 8 and, likely The Fem and the Furious, fall solidly into the cynical recycling of old ideas for cash and, with Ocean's 8, boy does it show.

Interesting Outlier: I think Ghostbusters was that weird middle ground where almost no one had the right end of the stick. I get the feeling that the people involved in making it thought it was honest and the people involved in criticising it were positive it was "pushing agendas", the people funding it were likely firmly in cash grab mode, but the truth of it is probably that it was just a really badly written movie that had its own dumb marketing turned against it.

TL; DR - All women casts can be great! FaFu is never great, regardless of the cast.
Who said all woman cast can't be great? Who said action centering around women is a bad idea? Have you actually read the comments? It looks like you are reading this thread through the lens of the current cultural wars.

You're not saying anything new, but personally I quite liked Ocean's 8. Although it may have been made with an agenda, I felt that the way they spun the characters made sense.

Dark Fate got greedy. Sarah Conner is one the most bad ass characters in movies. Not female bad ass, just bad ass! But no, we have to make any possibly leading and interesting character female. Not because it furthers the story (which I felt Ocean's 8 did reasonably well) but just because.....
They even
killed John Conner in the first 2 minutes of the film. No man can be around to take credit for woman's work

Ghostbusters was a poorly made film, but like Dark Fate, they deliberately gas lighted the core fans as well.

It's almost a cliche now but the saying goes, "Go Woke, Go Broke!"

D

Deleted member 795353

Right back atcha buddy.

Lucasisking asked for a female perspective. I gave one vicariously.
Nope. I asked if you had read the thread because of

There's nothing in this thread even remotely suggesting that an all female cast or female action movie or female action hero is a bad thing.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Nope. I asked if you had read the thread because of

"If I were a woman, I don't know that I'd feel particularly welcome here, if I'm absolutely honest."

There's nothing in this thread even remotely suggesting that an all female cast or female action movie or female action hero is a bad thing.

That quote relates to this forum as a place in general being an intrinsically male space (which I stand by) and does not relate to anyone suggesting that all female casts can't be good.

D

Deleted member 795353

That quote relates to this forum as a place in general being an intrinsically male space (which I stand by) and does not relate to anyone suggesting that all female casts can't be good.
No problem. You "may" want to be a little more precise next time. Up to you :)

wolfie138

Prominent Member
I like a good female lead, Atomic Blonde, Salt and Haywire being prime action examples, but every time it's announced now I simply roll my eyes because I've got to the point of not seeing anything but a cynical cash-in or shoving "equality" down our throats.

D

Deleted member 795353

I like a good female lead, Atomic Blonde, Salt and Haywire being prime action examples, but every time it's announced now I simply roll my eyes because I've got to the point of not seeing anything but a cynical cash-in or shoving "equality" down our throats.
Atomic Blonde for me is OK but nothing more. Liked Salt and really like Haywire.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member

I'd love for there to be more women involved here, and to get their perspectives. The ones we've got (insofar as they've identified themselves) are interesting and smart, and as welcome as anyone else. I often talk about films with my female mates.

I guess this is a prominently male space simply because more men are movie geeks. But if there's one thing I know about geeks, its that they love girl-geeks! Women are totally welcome here. I've been on female-centric sites like Mumsnet where the reverse is true, but I didn't let that put me off.

Agreed. I preferred Furiosa to Max in that film. Men don't have a problem with tough women, as should be self evident when looking at genre films and shows for the past 40 years or more. The genre is abundant with the XX chromosome and that's how we like it. It's the aggressive fanfare that seems to have materialised lately that we don't appreciate (see Batwoman).

Its a weird thing that the more representation there is, the louder and more strident the voices are demanding more of it. From the general tone of feminist discourse at the moment (as @Coulson alludes), you'd think there had never been strong intelligent women on the screen until literally just now. That's bollocks. There is a danger too that in the furious push to make women perpetually tough and stoic that we end up devaluing their feminine qualities. Terminator DF, I think, is a bit guilty of this.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Aggressive fanfare is clue #1 that the execs have got it into their head that this is what's gonna get them a return on their investment.
Presenting it as 'a women film' as opposed to 'a film' is dumb and bad and usually belies a dumb and bad movie.

D

Deleted member 795353

From the general tone of feminist discourse at the moment (as @Coulson alludes), you'd think there had never been strong intelligent women on the screen until literally just now. That's bollocks. There is a danger too that in the furious push to make women perpetually tough and stoic that we end up devaluing their feminine qualities. Terminator DF, I think, is a bit guilty of this.
I'm not sure that it is feminists that are crying out for the current gender swap fad. This feels like an unholy Alliance between culture warriors and fearful studio execs.

D

Deleted member 795353

It also gives them a handy scapegoat whenever one such project bombs. Ratings drops/ poor box office can be blamed on 'misogynist trolls'.
True, they're leaning very hard into this . But even its supporters are slowly beginning to back away from this trope. The same rags that were trumpeting their apparent feminist credentials in supporting the Last Jedi are beginning to sound alarm bells about the damage done to the Star Wars brand and Kathleen Kennedy in particular. Dark Fate may serve as another wakeup call.

tonyk79

Prominent Member
I think Hollywood is in a bit of turmoil at the minute and these remake movies with all female casts instead of the previous male casts are easy cash grabs while allowing Hollywood to look progressive. People are that scared to say or do anything in case offence is caused and you are forced to resign or sacked. i have no issue with females in lead roles and encourage it but some of this is just plain silly Now.

As said above, give us new female characters and franchises that everyone can get behind. Do we really need to see ‘insert female” as Rocky Balboa for a cynical remake? We have had some great new female characters on the small screen in the last years, the young girl from stranger things, Jodie Comer as Villanelle is fantastic, while on the bigger screen, Charlize Theron has been great is so many things, Rebecca Ferguson in Mission Impossible and Linda Hamilton still being bad ass in the new Terminator, perhaps the first real strong female character (action movie I mean), Mackenzie Davis played the new protector very well and only for a few silly lines that aren’t needed..

I suppose a different viewpoint is; do woman feel it disrespectful that these actresses are only getting to play big budget iconic male characters or characters made popular in previously male franchises? Clearly fantastic actresses are out there and they have already created some of their own awesome characters and franchises and I welcome seeing more of them in big budget movies and not this remake rubbish.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom