1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fellowship transfer!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by eel, Mar 16, 2003.

1. eel

eel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone please help me out before i go insane. The problem is my Fellowship EE has bad compression artefacts in several scenes and as far as i can understand they should not be there. I have read a lot of reviews and they all say the same. That is, the disc looks stunning with only very minor compression artefacts. What i am seeing is not minor. Almost every dark scene (like Sauromon's tower with the grey sky in the background) breaks up and looks crap basically. There are other scenes such as that one that suffer the same problems. I have checked the discs surface and it has no scratches or marks. I have used a lens cleaner as well so i doubt thats the problem. That leaves two possibilities. Either reviewers are all wrong (which i doubt) or my normally trusty Sony 735 has a problem with the disc. Does anyone else have any problems with the dark scenes in this movie or am i just very unlucky? I would really appreciate any feedback.

2. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you tried your disc on another player, or another disc on your player.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What Region disc? The 2 disc or the 4 discer?

My R1 4 discer looks fab on my set, no compression or artifacts anywhere (Sony player)

4. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How old is your player?

I have a 3 year old Sony 735 player which has been a pain ever since it was 12 months old.

Some DVDs stutter and it frequently get C:13:00 errors. This is a very common problem with Sonys. It means it can't read the disc but is also caused by laser failure. I have also used cleaning discs but they don't fix the problem.

5. eel

eel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sony is 3 years old but normally very reliable. I have had no disc errors at all on any of my 100+dvds!

I have tried the Fellowship disc (region 2)on another player with same result,s but it is a £150 phillips so i suppose thats not the best way to test it.

Its strange but all 3 of my EIV discs all show strange compression artefacts like a constant twitching of background detail. I know a lot of discs show up occasional artefacts but not most of the way through a film.

6. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have tried the region 1 version ,on three seperate dvd players this is what i noticed, on my daughters cyberhome 402[wh smiths ] the scene you mentioned did indeed look pants[ but nearlly all region one discs on this machine look poor conpaired to region 2 discs[is this something to do with the hack? dinosaur region 1 been another horrible example.on my pioneer dvl500[yes its still working the blacks etc were excellent....and finally on my panasonic q system the blacks were a little better ,your problem may be[and im no expert] down to your video conection, or perhaps it may be the dvd player.

7. eel

eel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hamtaro, thanks for taking the time. My Sony is fine because it plays my other discs no problem (including Perfect Storm which includes similar scenes to Fellowship) so i think its a disc problem. My connections are gold plated scarts which provide a crisp image so again i don't think that is the problem. I just don't understand why this disc looks so bad in places!