1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fellowship of the Ring - Extended Edition 1080p (Playback Problems)

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Mr Merrick, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've recently sourced Part A of the Fellowship of the Ring in 1080p (Part B on the way). I can get many other HD films to play on my system, ie. Gladiator & Shrek 2 in 1080i and Kill Bill:Volume 1 in 720p (all .ts files). The Fellowship file doesn't seem to respond to anything. I've tried VLC, DivX, Zoomplayer Pro, Quicktime Pro 7, Moonlight Player and Windows Media player. According to the source, the file is 7.9GB in size and is "Xvid within an AVI container."

It was encoded with Xvid 1.1 (which I have installed the codec for) and was "Tested with: Zoom Player Pro; ffdshow for an Xvid decoder; AC3 filter for audio; Zoom Player's internal DSP audio filter enabled."

I also sourced the FFDshow codec but still no joy after installing that. I even tried converting the file using HDTVtoMPEG2 software but the file is still unresponsive.

I'm at a loss. Does anyone have a solution? :lease:

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    What happens if you run the file through GSpot? This should report a lot about the file's contents, and what codecs your PC thinks it can use.

3. MADMAND

MADMAND
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Try the k-lite kodec pack.

4. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I tried the K-Lite Codec pack as you suggested, but that still does nothing for the file. Funnily enough, I scanned the file with G-Spot and it says it's not an AVI file. However, when I clicked the Render button on 'DirectShow Render' the Video SRC type comes up as "4cc: divx". Video Path: "(S) --> Moonlight-Elecard MPEG2 Demultiplexer --> DivX Decoder Filter --> (R)"

When I clicked for details, it says that DirectShow claims to be able to play the file.

But it still doesn't play! :(

5. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Maybe you need both parts...just an idea. Did they come as .rar files. May be that you have un-rar'd a corrupt avi missing half the file.

6. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,640
    Sorry for barging in, i have to ask if the Gladiator .ts version u have is the 'BEV' version. I missed it on the groups last month thats all. If it is what is it like?

7. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It is the BEV version. Around 22GB as it also has a DTS track. The picture is awesome and it's by far the best HD movie I've got so far. It's also alot clearer and completely stable during the action sequences compared to the other 12.5GB version that's available.

Back to the Fellowship, you may be right as the info file said that the movie was divided into RAR's but all I got was one big 7GB AVI file. I guess I'll wait till I get Part B and see what happens.

8. jriihi

jriihi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fellowship of the ring normal version 1080i is probably better? its transport stream (26 GB) with null packet already stripped.

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    I had a similar experiance with Swordfish 1080p. It wouldnt play on anything I tried everything you have done with no luck. I decieded it was a dud file and deleted it.

:(