Fellow Wii owners: should I get an xbox 360 as well?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by Sword, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Sword

Sword

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Got and LOVE the wii - but its a b'day pressy for the lad (8yrs).

Getting some dosh for Christmas and was thinking about an xbox 360 setup.

But is this just silly - I mean, take Call of Duty 3 ... will I really notice that much of a difference on the xbox 360 than if I bought it for the wii? Really?

I have a panny phd7 series 42" plasma with component inputs.

thanks ever so,
    Sword

2. cheshire_carper

cheshire_carper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Yes, yes, and yes again.

The Wii, graphically, gets completely p1 ssed on by the 360.

After a year of the 360, the Wiis graphics look old. You need both.

3. Lin3ar

Lin3ar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,771
    I think the X-Box is a fantastic bit of kit with some great games starting to (finally) come out for it.
    IMHO it complements the Wii perfectly with a different genre of game.It should look pretty good on your Panny (though I am not sure if it is HD or not)

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,334
    Will you notice a difference? It would be an absolute night and day difference! Seriously, you cannot compare the Wii with the 360 graphically it's just not in anywhere near the same league. I think a Wii and a 360 is the perfect combination of 2 consoles to own really

5. nil102

nil102

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    If you want a second console now Yes.If you can wait 3months it has to be a PS3

6. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    A huge yes from me and it will look incredible on that panel.

They are both great consoles but come from a different angle. The 360 is a real beast of a machine and well worth owning.

7. SparklyPuppet

SparklyPuppet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have both consoles, love both. I would say that it depends upon what you want to play on the 360. I've always been of the opinion that it's the software that counts, not the console. If there are a couple of games you like the look of, then it's probably worth diving in.

There are so many games available now for the 360, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding some.

If I were you I would check-out reviews on sites like eurogamer.net and gamerankings.com. Call of Duty 3 didn't do too well on eurogamer on either platform (360/wii) so you might be better off buying Cod 2, which got excellent reviews. Also I can confirm Cod 2 is good having played the PC version (yes I know, I like lots of gaming platforms).

The xbox live service is excellent. Being able to download demos (if you have a hard drive) means that there are a few games my 2 year old son can play without me having to fork out for the full game (although this will change when he gets older and more sophisticated tastes). He particularly likes Tony Hawks Project 8 demo. It's good because the basic controls are easy and he can do jumps etc without too much effort.

8. blastoff2k

blastoff2k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I personally would say go for the 360 instead of waiting for the PS3.

I'd say go for the 360, i got one last xmas and it's a really great bit of kit. Also i like the linkage with the computer - streaming music etc. I think it would complement the Wii nicely because, as someone already stated, it is a very different experience to the wii (what isn't!) and its a good price with a good solid set of games out now.

I'll have the two consoles this time tomorrow, and i think i'm going to be contented for a long while until the PS3 gets it's act together and gets some good titles out and lowers in price.

In my opinoin anyway!
    That's my two cents.
    blastoff

9. SparklyPuppet

SparklyPuppet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm curious why you suggest it has to be a PS3. I'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering what your reasoning is for this. The OP might find it interesting that's all.

10. shagaboopon

shagaboopon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    I'd say yes, I bought a Wii instead of a 360 but do intend to get one early next year. The 2 consoles will be home to completely different games so they do compliment each other well. The 360 has some excellent RPG's due next year too which is a nice boost to all the sports, racing and FPS games.

11. nil102

nil102

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Dont get me wrong the XBox360 is a excellent console in fact I had one at launch.Two faulty consoles down the line left a bitter taste ,the third being sold on Ebay 1 month ago.Two major things wrong with the Xbox360 1 Reliability 2 Noise ,otherwise Microsoft has got it about right.I recently bought a Wii instead and as I said in previous posts its great,not a patch on the 360 graphic wise but an excellent gaming machine none the less.If you own a wii you should also treat yourself to an Xbox 360 or a PS3(my preference) to cover most types of gaming.We all have a choice and its Wii/Ps3 for me.Maybe 2 faulty PS3`s might change my mind?????

12. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
    Couldn't agree more, bread & butter:smashin: They're the perfect combination of power & inovation.

13. Caveman49

Caveman49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Another one agreeing here.

I have both consoles and the difference is amazing, which is why I love them. My 360 is just simply awesome - I love everything about it, and now I have a Wii as well, if I need a change from hardcore gaming, then on goes the Wii and we all end up laughing and loving it.

Get both - it is gaming heaven !!!!

14. rnicoll

rnicoll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Would disagree; the PS3 launch in the US has been... bad... 60GB PS3s on US EBay are going for only a little over RRP now: http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...R8&satitle=ps3&category0=&submitSearch=Search

(look at the ones that have bids on them, compare to the ones that don't). While the PS3 has the capability to be more powerful than the XBox 360, developers are going to have to work seriously hard to get enough of a difference that users will notice, IMHO.

For a console any time soon, I reckon the XBox 360 is a fairly safe bet (and a much more cost effective one at that). If you can wait, I'd recommend holding off a year or more to see how all 3 consoles are doing once they've had a chance to establish themselves.

15. tcgills

tcgills
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what about owning a wii and useing my pc as a second option graphics and speed wise and also the amount of games available i have thought about getting a 360 but my pc does all a 360 can do

16. Caveman49

Caveman49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    fair comment gills, but I like playing my 360 whilst sitting in my nice easy reclining armchair in the lounge on a 43" HD screen.

As we always say - it is all about individual preferences. :smashin:

17. tcgills

tcgills
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But i can plug my pc into my 32in lcd i do still like the idea of a 360 though

18. nil102

nil102

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    A striking similarity to the Xbox 360 launch in Japan!!!.I have a friend now living in Florida who has and likes both,he thinks longterm both will have a lot to offer

19. muzzi

muzzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    You have to get the 360. It is a great machine with already a great back catalogue of games that can be picked up cheap. Defo go for the premium version and get LIVE, as it is plain and simple good fun (especially GoW).

I have a Wii aswell, which is great also. I would buy multi platform games for the 360 and stick with Wii exclusive games for the Wii (odviously:rolleyes: )

don't even think about comparing the power of the two machines, as they are not meant to be competing in this level.

buy both, enjoy both.:D

20. CharlotWeb

CharlotWeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'd also say a definite yes for buying a 360. I got the 360 on launch day last year (it's still going strong) and I swear that I am still in awe of this machine over a year later.

I bought Zelda Twilight Princess a couple of days ago for the gamecube and loaded it up to play on my panny 42PV500. I could not believe it looked so "basic" for want of a better term and actually thought my GC lead must be knacked so went and bought a new RGB one. Of course, I had just become used to the clarity and graphical prowess of the 360 but at first I honestly thought I'd loaded up an N64 blur-o-vision game.....

Pretty much everything about this console is fantastic and whilst I'll probably get caught up in the "must have new stuff" frenzy in March, I'd say that along with the Dreamcast, it's one of the most all round impressive machines I've ever owned. Plus, the HDDVD drive is pretty cool too.

For the price (and current bundles available) you can't really go wrong in my humble opinion :)

21. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,283
    Yeh i own both and its a great mix to have. You get some stunning looking games on the 360 and live is great on some of them!
    Wii will have some great exclusives as well and excellent multi player games so you really do get the best of both worlds!
    I dont think i could live without either!

22. lovergoat

lovergoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for the 360. Along with Wii it is a winning combination especially since the price of both is still less that a PS3.

Points worth considering are PS3 has very few games available at the moment, friends who have an import say Resistance is good but nothing special, also Ridge Racer 6 on 360 looks better than 7 on PS3. Developers haven't had long for r&d on the PS3 development kits while the 360 dev kits have been around for ages now. Also the 360 has quite a good back catalog and an excellent online service(you can dl the tv and movie content from the US if you have a silver live free membership with a US post code, 90210 works lol). As far as the video standard of the future goes, I don't think anybody can guess. We all know Betamax was better than vhs but that didn't stop the money spending masses supporting vhs till it died a death.

If you like games go for a 360 and maybe have a PS2 lying around for some cheap thrills and a Guitar Hero fix every now and then :thumbsup:

23. nil102

nil102

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Motorstorm and F1 look stunning and should be available on or around launch in the UK.The Ps3 has a lot of catching up to do,cant see it being a problem.This time next year we will be spoilt for choice with three superb consoles to choose from.Cant wait.....

24. alkasteveh

alkasteveh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'd add a yay vote for the 360 as well, it does do a lot that you can't get on the wii and multiplayer is excellent too.

25. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I echo others here, they are both excellent consoles and compliment each other superbly. I wouldn't do without either of mine. So i would say go for it. :smashin: :D

26. Te Bheag

Te Bheag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    They're equal, but different (wasn't there a song called that?). Get both. :smashin:

27. MyBigToe

MyBigToe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I, also, have both (both bought within the last 2 months)
    I also use the PC to play games.

I will not be buying a ps3 unless it offers something vastly superior than what ive seen

28. Deleted member 92943

Deleted member 92943

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am the other way round. I have a 360 and Love it and tempted a tiny bit by the Wii but i am nt sure whether i would actually play on it

29. belfast-biker

belfast-biker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

If you have a decent PC like most of us, just use that as a "2nd console". :)

Oblivion, COD, HL2, UT and many many others...

30. SHPanda

SHPanda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a Wii and a 360, can't see the point in the PS3 and PC gaming has never been my thing as you constantly have to buy new hardware.

The Wii has all the typical Nintendo games that I like plus many other that have a new edge because of the wiimote.

The 360 is great for online multiplayer because the LIVE service is without a doubt the best online gaming service around, demos, Xbox Live Arcade etc. Plus there will be the sequels and new games that you'll just never see on the Wii like Dead Rising, Resident Evil 5, GRAW, GTA 4, Haze etc.

The two consoles compliment each other so well because I doubt you'll ever come to a point where you'll wonder which platform to get a game for, whereas you would if you had a PS3 and a 360.