Feeding your pets a raw diet.

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
There's a growing body of opinion which says that your pets are probably better off by feeding them raw meats and bones (and other stuff too) compared to the processed stuff from the Pet Food manufacturers.

Look up Pottenger's Cats as one example.

Another newsy article here:

The beef over pet food - Katharine Mieszkowski - Salon.com

And the B.A.R.F.: Biologically Appropriate Raw Food diet.

Does anyone here avoid processed pet foods and give their pets a "raw" diet?

shodan

Distinguished Member
My Jake gets 200g of raw tripe with a cup full of mixer for dinner and has 1-2 dentastix a day with the other occasional treat.

He's a 15 year old Staffie bull terrier, about 4 to 4.5 stone, 22 inch neck, slim by the back hips, who still loves to play, roll around on the floor and chase cats out of the garden and has alll his own teeth. Point being, I give a lot of the credit for his health to his diet.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
We've always fed our dogs well, our latest Husky get's a combination of Chicken/Chicken mince, boiled Brown Rice, carrots, peas, and lately James Wellbeloved kibble, and it never did our last dog badly either, who was 18 when put to sleep this year.

It's all the cereal and additives that mess up dogs systems, and give allergies, skin disorders, and problems, with all the wheat, and crap they stick in.
Minimum "meat" content - 4% seems to be a favourite of the manufacturers.
And the price they sell some for is disgraceful.

Badger0-0

We don't avoid it, but our mutt just prefers chicken cooked in the oven predominantly and home cooked food (although no doubt the chicken could be classed as processed).
He'll only touch dog food if he's really hungry.
Not that we starve him (he eats better than us), but you know what I mean :)

It makes sense though, as what would animals eat in the wild?

Looking at it like that though, processed food is probably just as bad for us humans.

bigtodski

Standard Member
i have a 3 year old German shepherd i feed him raw only normally chicken or beef or beef mixed with liver or heart with chicken bones either wings or carcass and sometimes lamb bones he has been on this for about 2.5 years and i wouldn't go back to a kibble now.
occasionally he gets a carrot to chew on but that comes out the same way as they dont breakdown in a dogs stomach

i also dont do yearly jabs as well he only had his puppy jabs. depending were you read these are unnecessarily every year.

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Out of interest, do you freeze your meat as suggested by some (Veterinary) sources to ensure any bacterium is killed off before feeding?

Piscauk

Out of interest, do you freeze your meat as suggested by some (Veterinary) sources to ensure any bacterium is killed off before feeding?

I would just like to say, as a Microbiologist, that freezing bacteria is how we commonly save them for use in later research :confused:

This point of view is one I have heard before, in relation to food in pregnancy, but dont quite understand the logic myself...

Other than that, we feed our dogs a mix of cereal free kibble and meats, although if we could afford it I would MUCH rather they went natural. When I give them fresh or frozen meat, its raw as their bodies as designed to process the food. Lovely coats, both in excellent condition so it cant all be bad. Alot maybe due to breed also; we have 2 types of hounds, and one is far more prone to issues with food allergies etc than the other, who would happily live on a diet of poo and Chappie if given half a chance :(

Last edited:

shade_of_meta

i also dont do yearly jabs as well he only had his puppy jabs. depending were you read these are unnecessarily every year.

a couple of miles from us there lived a pup who didn't get his puppy jabs...all the other dogs in the area hadn't had their yearly boosters either - all in all 18 dogs died from the virus the pup passed on!!

For all the money it costs, I'd rather be on the safe side!

I keep thinking about moving our pets onto BARF, have you cat(s) and / or dog(s) Mr. I?

Premium pet food is crazy expensive these days so it works out much better for the pet and cheaper for you...win win really!!

bigtodski

Standard Member
i dont worry about bacteria with him as their stomach acid is about 10 x the strength of ours.

i buy about 2 months worth of meat at a time from daf in newcastle i have a tall freezer in the shed and fill it up it works out the cheapest way about £28 per month , i also get the lamb bones from them , for the chicken carcass i get from local butcher who we get our meat from so i get them for nothing and i just cut the wings off and bag them up into meals and freeze aswell.

before feeding i just put the bag of meat in a bowl of hot water for 10mins then feed

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
a couple of miles from us there lived a pup who didn't get his puppy jabs...all the other dogs in the area hadn't had their yearly boosters either - all in all 18 dogs died from the virus the pup passed on!!

For all the money it costs, I'd rather be on the safe side!

I keep thinking about moving our pets onto BARF, have you cat(s) and / or dog(s) Mr. I?

Premium pet food is crazy expensive these days so it works out much better for the pet and cheaper for you...win win really!!

We've got a Jack Russell. She'll be 12 in January.

GBDG1

Distinguished Member
Animals don't really "taste" in the way that humans do. For us, food triggers an emotional response, which enhanches the flavour, over and above the taste itself.Animals don't have this. They cannot derive pleasure from food.

Just feed them whatever is cheap and is nutritious enough. They live much longer than their "natural" life span as pets anyway.

Miss Mandy

We used to give our old dog the meat scraps when we had him along with dried food and I think it served him well. He used to always eat any scraps off the plates after meals as well and lived a healthy life until he was put to sleep this time last year at 16.
We don't get anything special for the cat, just give her dried food, but she seems to be quite content with the live pigeons she catches whenever she wants.

Badger0-0

I've just actually looked at that BARF site.

$35 for 6lb of chicken patties? :eek:

My Jack Russell goes through that much chicken in a few days!

Wow, that's expensive.

shodan

Distinguished Member
GBDG1 said:
Animals don't really "taste" in the way that humans do. For us, food triggers an emotional response, which enhanches the flavour, over and above the taste itself.Animals don't have this. They cannot derive pleasure from food.

Just feed them whatever is cheap and is nutritious enough. They live much longer than their "natural" life span as pets anyway.

I completely disagree with you on this mate. Knowing how to read my dogs body language shows he produces the same responses to certain foods as he does with other things which he clearly derives pleasure from.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
shodan said:
I completely disagree with you on this mate. Knowing how to read my dogs body language shows he produces the same responses to certain foods as he does with other things which he clearly derives pleasure from.

Likewise. No matter what we feed one of our Rotties she doesn't react much other than to wolf it down. But she knows the word for milk, and knows the sight of it from any other carton/jug we take from the fridge like orange, grape juice or water.

Mention or show her the milk carton and she licks her lips every time without fail. She doesn't like her lips any other time even when she's getting fed or getting a treat.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
My sister's business is supplying raw. Here's her site if anyone wants a nose around.

Our Story

I trust this won't be considered spam as I'm not suggesting for a moment that anyone buys from Houston!

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer

Agree with you here. My two cats are right awkward blighters and if you give them food they don't like, you know about it, likewise if you give them something they actually like for once, you know about it too.

I've always fed my cats dry and wet food from the supermarket. My last cat lived till 18 years old and my current cats are 13 years old and still very healthy, so no reason here to change what I am feeding them.

mjn

Distinguished Member
If i started to feed my cats on raw beef......i'd never get any peace and quiet! They'd be constantly crying at me for more!!

kav

Distinguished Member
We've looked into it, but the cost put us off. We can't afford to have the dog eat better than the rest of the family. ;)

NewfieDrool

Banned
My monthly food bill for my old boy is between £150 to £200 depending on what I give him.
He will have a mixture of dry food and raw meat.
I change his dry food every month as he's a fussy lad and he will happily munch away on raw chicken, beef, turkey, salmon and tuna.

Swapping food does not effect his stomach and I dish out his food first thing in the morning and he will eat it when he wants too. All my past dogs would simply chew away at the first sign of food but not my old Newfie.

wbabbington

We feed our two indoor cats mainly in Felix's 'Good for you' range, as it's the only thing they both eat. But they do get packs of prawns and fish sticks from time to time. The vet always comments in how shiny their coat is so it must be doing something.

As for our two Shih Tzus, we started off the older one (when he was a puppy) on pedigree chum puppy and he loved it.

Then we started to use Burns, which is just rice and meat (or egg) and they couldn't get enough of it. But recently, to save money, we've switched too Burns mini bites which is their dry food equivalent. Saves us quite a bit as we just buy a big sack and they still can't get enough. They still get treats of veg, bits of raw meat depending on what we are cooking but biscuits seem to be enough for now.

SBT

Banned
Is raw meat safe for dogs then? as i remember a neighbour's dog dying and raw meat being blamed :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung teases 76-inch MicroLED TV plus flagship Q950A soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021