Feeding two HD boxes from one dish

The Spaniard

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Thinking of getting the foxsat hd pvr and the standard foxsat hd box so I can watch wimbledon in glorious HD on either my HD projector or my HD telly. Will I be able to feed both from the one dish and if so how do I do it? :lease:

Thanks for any help :thumbsup:

A Quad or Octo LNB installed on the sat dish.

This will give you either 4 or 8 outputs, cable of which could be run to your HD Foxsats.

Del

A Quad or Octo LNB installed on the sat dish.

This will give you either 4 or 8 outputs, cable of which could be run to your HD Foxsats.

Del

Yep you need 2 cables for the hdr and one for the HD so a quad (much cheaper than a octal) will have 1 spare connection. Note to work your projector will need to be HDCP compliant. I would have thought you would want a connection from the hdr to the projector as well.

Yep you need 2 cables for the hdr and one for the HD so a quad (much cheaper than a octal) will have 1 spare connection. Note to work your projector will need to be HDCP compliant. I would have thought you would want a connection from the hdr to the projector as well.

Hi Graham, the only cable from the HD PVR to the projector (its a Sony VW11 and is HDCP compliant) will be the HDMI lead to provide the video? The audio will be fed from the PVR to my AV Amp for the audio and hopefully I wont get any lip sync issues?

Thanks for the advice both :clap:

Hi Graham, the only cable from the HD PVR to the projector (its a Sony VW11 and is HDCP compliant) will be the HDMI lead to provide the video? The audio will be fed from the PVR to my AV Amp for the audio and hopefully I wont get any lip sync issues?

Thanks for the advice both :clap:

Why do you need a Foxsat-HD as well ?

You can feed the TV and the projector from the one stb using a hdmi splitter like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HQ-1-IN-2-OUT...-DISPLAYS_W0QQitemZ200326090313QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks Guys, given that I will lose my freeview signal to my projector am I worrying too much about the alleged poorer quality of the freesat SD signal compared to freeview?

I don't really want to gain HD and lose quality with SD at the same time - seems too much of a trade off :eek:

At the moment my freeview (PVR FUnction) signal to my projector is from my Sony RDR-HXD870 DVD Recorder that upscales the picture to 1080p and it isn't too bad.

My projector is the 1080p Sony VW50 Pearl.

Last edited:
Unless I have missed something, I am thinking I would lose my freeview picture because this is currently received via the Sony RDR-HXD870 DVD Recorder and this is going upstairs to my bedroom set up to be replaced downstairs by the Foxsat HD PVR?

Will be overjoyed if you can tell me different?

It was this quote from another thread that got me worried......

"Thanks for all your responses guys. You have really helped me make my mind up. Think I will give freesat a miss right now, I have freeview through a upscaling HDMI PVR and the picture is really good. I wanted freesat for the HD but from what I hear there is not really that much on it and if SD is better on freeview then it doesnt make too much sense to get freesat right now."

Last edited:
Thanks Guys, given that I will lose my freeview signal to my projector am I worrying too much about the alleged poorer quality of the freesat SD signal compared to freeview?

I don't really want to gain HD and lose quality with SD at the same time - seems too much of a trade off :eek:

At the moment my freeview (PVR FUnction) signal to my projector is from my Sony RDR-HXD870 DVD Recorder that upscales the picture to 1080p and it isn't too bad.

My projector is the 1080p Sony VW50 Pearl.

Why not simply fit a 2 (or 3 in) to 1 out hdmi switch so you can select which hdmi to send to the projector. By the way apart from a temporary increase in resolution for ITV West Country many SD channels on Satellite especially ITV use a very soft 544 x 576 pixels (704 x 576 on Freeview)

Last edited:
Ok here's the full information :D

1. Due to the location of my TV cabinet and my amp I only have one hdmi and one optical lead (for the audio) running from where the PVR is - currently the Sony - to my amp and hdmi switcher.The leads are 6 metres long and are hidden in the wall.

2. My AV amp (Yamaha Ax1) is non hdmi.

3. My hdmi switcher has two inputs with one hdmi out up to the ceiling mounted projector - again a run of 10 metres up walls and through floorboards. one hdmi is for the video from my blu ray player the other is from the PVR. Both audio signals are into the amp via optical.

I basically wanted to replace the Sony freeview (upscaling to 1080p) unit with the freesat HD PVR with no hassle of extra wires, digging, plastering, floorboards up, decorating, new and bigger cabinet, etc, etc but it doesn't seem as straightforward as I hoped?

Not without apparently losing quality from the SD signals over Freesat :suicide:

Freesat is mostly the same channels as Freeview anyway - plus the Humax Foxsat Upscales the SD picture anyway. :smashin:

So does his projector and TV and both are likely to do a better job. The problem with some SD channels on Freesat is that the source video is inferior to Freeview and no matter how you scale it the results are pretty dire. The less picture info in the source the worse the result. Why do you think HD looks a lot better then SD, on the same TV you are watching the same number of pixels whether it's a SD or a HD source. Given for example a 1920 x 1080 display no matter how many pixels you feed it, typically in order of quality 504 x 576, 704 x 576, 720 x 576 (best SD), 1440 x 1080 (BBC HD, ITV HD), 1920 x 1080 (CH4 HD and Sky HD premium channels), the end result will always be 1920 x 1080 on the display no matter which combination of scalers foxsat, TV etc do the scaling. In the end the less pixels the scaler has to invent the better the final outcome.

Having had another look at this I think I am going to try and squeeze the foxsat pvr in by the amp and get another hdmi switcher box with one more input. This will enable me to keep my freeview for SD and the freesat for HD.

Having had another look at this I think I am going to try and squeeze the foxsat pvr in by the amp and get another hdmi switcher box with one more input. This will enable me to keep my freeview for SD and the freesat for HD.

Sounds like a plan :clap:. What you really need is a matrix switch so you can route any box to the TV or the projector otherwise you are going to to mess around with changing hdmi leads. Example here

1080p HDMI TRUE MATRIX 4X 2 Switch Splitter 1.3b HD PS3 on eBay, also, Video Switches, DVD Home Cinema, Consumer Electronics (end time 26-Jun-09 15:03:57 BST)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks Graham,

My recorder, twin cable, quad LNB and twin cable clips came today :thumbsup:

As my old sky dish is in situ I might try and have a go at installing this weekend if I get chance - Can anyone point me in the right direction for an "idiots guide" so that I don't cock it up :D:D

My Sky installer had a quad fitted as standard anyway!

My Sky installer had a quad fitted as standard anyway!

Likely to have been a sky+ install then. They generally fit a single for non recording one room install or a quad for a recording or multiroom install.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom