Feeding second tv from virgin box

They are incorrectly labelled though very commonly done unfortunately , the list of cables is below however what they are capable of depends on length

Standard HDMI Cable: These cables are designed for common HDTV broadcast, cable, and satellite TV resolutions (up to 720p and 1080i) with a bandwidth capacity of up to 5 Gbps. It is optimized for HDMI versions 1.0 to 1.2a.
  • Standard Automotive HDMI Cable: This cable type has the same capabilities as a standard HDMI cable, but is used to connect portable or in-car DVD players and other devices to in-car video displays. Extra shielding is provided to suppress interference from other car electrical systems and wiring.
  • High-Speed HDMI Cable: This type of cable is designed to handle video resolutions of 1080p and 4K (30 Hz) as well as provide support for 3D and Deep Color. Bandwidth transfer speeds up to 10 Gbps are supported. It is optimized for HDMI versions 1.3 to 1.4a.
  • High-Speed Automotive HDMI Cable: This type supports the same features as High-Speed HDMI cables but is optimized for the automotive environment.
  • Premium High-Speed HDMI Cable: This cable type is designed for reliable transfer of 4K/UltraHD resolution video, including 4K/60 Hz, HDR, and expanded color range. Cable bandwidth support is 18 Gbps and is optimized for HDMI versions 2.0/a/b.
  • Ultra High-Speed HDMI Cable: This cable type includes all of the capabilities of the other cables with added support for 8K video with HDR and even 10k resolution. It supports up to 48 Gbps bandwidth (transfer speed) and is less susceptible to EMI (electromagnetic interference) caused by some wireless devices. This cable type is optimized for HDMI version 2.1.

HDMI Connector Types

HDMI.org
  • HDMI Cables with Ethernet Built-in: There are also Standard, High-Speed, Premium High-Speed, and Ultra High-Speed HDMI cables that may support an additional HDMI Ethernet Channel (HEC). These cables are designed to allow multiple HDMI-connected devices to share a single traditional Ethernet connection to a broadband router at speeds of up to 100 Mb/sec. However, this feature is not normally implemented on devices.

Amazon basic high speed for the resolutions you are running at thought at 10m it could be trial and error if they work with higher resolutions

Ps tried a 10m cable from VM box to second Tv (without splitting), picture is much improved. Do I need a scaler splitter to two 1080 tv's?

Thanks Seb,
Just a thought, when I change TV's in future they will be 4K presumably so will need a scaler splitter.
Also will a scaler splitter be ok to use now with existing 1080 tvs. ie; "future proof"

If you change them both to 4K then you wont need a scaler

A scaler splitter however will work with current setup if you did want to future proof

Not powered (and no option for power) and i wouldnt touch it but at £16.99 maybe worth a go.

You could be lucky or you could start to fall down the HDMI rabbit hole of intermittent problems , and a range of kit sat on a shelf that worked then stopped working

Update, suggested splitter fitted in two minutes to new cable to kitchen TV. power from Tivo USB.
Picture on both sets now sharp and clear, great improvement.
Thanks to all!

Further update-
Selected Virgin channel 124 Gold, (Dad's Army of course) on main TV, perfect picture but no sound.
But In kitchen, perfect picture and full sound. ALL other channels are fine, just 124 on Tivo.
So connected HDMI direct to main tv -fine.
Swapped outputs from splitter, still no sound.
Instructions with splitter say with 2 1080 tvs put both scaler switches to on -done-no sound.
Turned switches to off in turn-#2 produces sound. So all ok but is the splitter at fault.?
Strange that only one of hundreds of channels only VM 124 is affected .
Any thoughts?

Its likely that the channel is broadcasting an audio stream that only one of the TVs can handle.

Set the Virgin box HDMI audio to PCM Stereo rather than auto

Tried that, no difference so have left switch 2 to on and 1 to off. All fine now.
Also now have a problem with Freeview terrestrial from roof aerial .BBC 1 and 2 (non HD) channels are breaking up. HD is fine. Is the signal strength different on BBC.? Aerial problem?

Further to my last post can I ask for help please .
I have fitted the HDMI splitter as suggested and quality of cable signal to both TV's is perfect.
However there is now an intermittent loss /breakup of Freeview RF signal on BBC 1, 2 and several other "minor" channels. I have checked and re-made all connectors..
I had a look at the signal strength on the main TV via the menu. It showed the RF signal quality as poor to zero. However when I turned off the Tivo the signal returned to full! I toggled this several times with the same result. But I have just turned on both systems and all is clear and fine now!
For information the HDMI splitter is close to the RF cable behind the TV, with several power cables, Roof aerial has been up for many years-clue?
Can the HDMI or power cables interfere with Freeview RF?
Whilst everything is ok at present I'm awaiting the symptoms to reappear.
Any thoughts as to where to go next.
Thanks for getting this far!

Thanks, realised that the power cables ran in trunking alongside RF Coax with no issues before I added the HDMI cable. Now discovered that if I feed the TV direct from aerial it's ok, so now suspect the old powered RF splitter, one in two out. Do they fail?

HDMI cables can and very often do affect Freeview.
They can radiate spurious RF blocking RF channels.
Keep them as far apart as possible from RF cables and try different HDMI cables.
Price of the cables has no bearing on the symproms.

Thanks JayCee
Strange that all was ok with original short HDMI to main tv (less than 1 metre) but symptoms appeared after adding HDMI splitter and cable to kitchen. Break up is on both TV's from old RF splitter which leads me to suspect it.

PS Can I use Servisol Switch cleaner on the old RF splitter sockets, will it help or hinder?

Last edited:
Further update, (sorry if this is getting boring), on looking at the signal strength (parameters section of set up in menu) for each channel in turn , all the channels with very weak or no signal have a channel number below 34 and showing as less than 578.00 mhz. . This is through old splitter. When connected direct from roof aerial most are much improved but not all at optimum .
So new splitter and/or aerial?
Thanks

Update installed new splitter, now all ok
Thanks for all your input

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom