Feeding second tv from virgin box

wink1

Novice Member
I am currently feeding a kitchen tv from my Virgin box.
Both cable and terrestrial channels via a RF modulator and powered splitter. The picture in kitchen is poor on the cable channel.
Will this work? - split hdmi from cable box and send 8 metres to kitchen with new cable and use powered splitter for terrestrial coax, thereby not using the RF modulator.
Hope this makes sense !?
Thanks

wink1

Novice Member
Yes aerial input is split through powered splitter to both tv's. aerial picture is fine on second tv.
Thanks

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
Then definitely a HD modulator could work for you with no new cabling needed to be run

I’ve used the TRIAX MOD103T Single HD DVB-T Modulator on a few jobs as it also includes a hdmi splitter

wink1

Novice Member
So does that simply replace the RF modulator? Trying to keep it simple and cheap, will a HDMI splitter work?, don't mind running a cable

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
Yes , a splitter will also work but the modulator will also give you Infrared control back to the virgin box

wink1

Novice Member
Thanks Seb, will take a look. If I use an HDMI splitter and cable will it need to be powered?

wink1

Novice Member
Thanks, one more if I may-both TVs are only standard HD, will a splitter and cable which support UHD be compatible?

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Is your VirginBox outputting 4k at the moment. If it is then make sure you buy a splitter that supports scaling from 4k to 1080p. Otherwise you will be limited to 1080p on both screens

wink1

Novice Member
Not sure of output, how do I know?
Any recommends for splitter welcome
Is your VirginBox outputting 4k at the moment. If it is then make sure you buy a splitter that supports scaling from 4k to 1080p. Otherwise you will be limited to 1080p on both screens

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
Is your TV 4K ?

What Chuck is saying is that the two TVs have to support the same resolution as a normal splitter only supports one resolution through it.

A scaler takes a higher resolution and then can output the higher on one output and a lower one on the second.

Alternatively set the output on the virgin box to the highest resolution that both TVs support.

I use BluStream Splitters, and scalers on my jobs.

2 way splitter around £110

2 way splitter with Scaler around £270

Lots of "cheap" ones around but HDMI is a minefield so i like to stick to brands i know and have used.

wink1

Novice Member
Is your TV 4K ?

What Chuck is saying is that the two TVs have to support the same resolution as a normal splitter only supports one resolution through it.

A scaler takes a higher resolution and then can output the higher on one output and a lower one on the second.

Alternatively set the output on the virgin box to the highest resolution that both TVs support.

I use BluStream Splitters, and scalers on my jobs.

2 way splitter around £110

2 way splitter with Scaler around £270

Lots of "cheap" ones around but HDMI is a minefield so i like to stick to brands i know and have used.
Ok seems I'm now getting out of my depth, sorry to be thick but how do I find what resolution the tv's support and suspect I would need the Virgin Tech to set the output on the Tivo?

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Yep as Seb says cheap hdmi is a minefield, the cheapest product is probably going to be this
one

Amazon product
But if you do go down that road make sure you can return it if it doesn’t work with your setup.

I use HD fury which is at order of magnitude more.

If you can post the two models of your TVs will be able to advise whether 4k or not

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
No neither of those are 4K but as an aside the HD modulator probably won’t work either as doubt the tvs have HD digital tuners

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for November 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PrimaLuna debuts Evo 300 Hybrid integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern announces AK ZERO1 in ear monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches MI1250 power amplifier