Feedback problem with sub out…?

Simmo123

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’ve got an older marantz nr1402.
I’m planning on upgrading later in the year to one with Dolby Atmos and two sub outs.
A decent deal came up for two cambridge audio sx120 subs so I picked them up (ready for the upgrade later)
I bought a splitter so I could use both of them from the single sub out on my current av for now but there seems to be feedback hum on both subs and if I touch the amp plate on the back of either sub the hum changes tone slightly.
I read you can connect them this way to a single sub out so any idea why I’m getting the feedback? Seems like a ground problem or something…?
I’ve tested the subs using the pre out on the av and they are fine.
Also singly from the sub out and they’re fine.
The splitter is a basic cheap one, two came in the pack and same problem with both splitters.
Am I missing something here regards connecting theory?
Thanks

Hi guys, I’ve got an older marantz nr1402.
I’m planning on upgrading later in the year to one with Dolby Atmos and two sub outs.
A decent deal came up for two cambridge audio sx120 subs so I picked them up (ready for the upgrade later)
I bought a splitter so I could use both of them from the single sub out on my current av for now but there seems to be feedback hum on both subs and if I touch the amp plate on the back of either sub the hum changes tone slightly.
I read you can connect them this way to a single sub out so any idea why I’m getting the feedback? Seems like a ground problem or something…?
I’ve tested the subs using the pre out on the av and they are fine.
Also singly from the sub out and they’re fine.
The splitter is a basic cheap one, two came in the pack and same problem with both splitters.
Am I missing something here regards connecting theory?
Thanks
If you google "subwoofer splitters hum" you'll find a lot of stuff re the issue. Seems like unless you want to throw a lot of money as a solution to the (temporary) problem you would be better just using the one sub until you buy your new AVR.

I’ve been looking at other splitters, just wanted to check if I was missing something before spending.
Won’t be buying another av for a couple of months so if I can get it to work for now that would be good.
The splitter adaptor was only a few quid so hopefully it’s just that.
Thanks for the replies

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom