1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feedback on Budget driver?.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Hysteria, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Hysteria

Hysteria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I'm finally starting to get round to this sub project I was thinking about quite some time ago. I'm just choosing a driver at the moment and I just need a cheap as chips drive to tide me over until I have some money.

The Drivers

Cheap-O No1

Cheap-O No2

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    No 1 is the one to go for, I'm just about to start building my project with one this evening :thumbsup:

No 2 you list is not actually a subwoofer but a radiator, i'm not exactly sure what it does but I think you use it as well as a subwoofer to increase output.

EDIT: full explanation here:http://www.humanspeakers.com/whatis/PR.htm

Cheers, Mylo

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You will probably get a better response in the DIY section so I will transfer this thread there for you

4. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  5. Hysteria

Hysteria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhhhh so that's why I couldn't see any magnets or find the frequencey responce :blush:. Good luck with your project, tell me how it goes.

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    As Mylo said, the second is a passive radiator so doesn't have any motor attached. Your first suggestion is an excellent choice though (I have the 10" version in my XLS200).

From what I can tell from sub design, the radiator is used instead of a port to effectively loosen the cabinet a little. This should increase depth, SPL and driver life although may cause problems in other areas. Certainly worth considering the additional driver if you're interested in a more unique sub that will potentially perform better than the other similar DIY designs. Not tried it myself though ;)

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Eviljohn2,

The first suggestion by the OP is the BSB 12" 100W, which the REL Q100 clone is based on. Just for the sake of accuracy, the driver in the XLS200 is the Peerless XLS10, a very different beast from the 10" version of the BSB driver. The BSB 12" is quite good, particularly taking account of the low price,(about £25, as oposed to about £80 for the Peerless) but Regmarch and now Mat-D-Rat have migrated to a monster looking 12" driver originally destined for the car audio market........... see separate threads.

All the best,

Sean.

8. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28,223
    That monster upgrade driver, I'm really pleased with it, I hope Mat will be too. I took a gamble, he gambled on the fact I liked it and bought one and is probably playing with it as we speak. It's probably best if we make sure we both like it before recommending it against anything else.

Dave

9. Hysteria

Hysteria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could somebody dig up good step by step plans for a sonotube sub?. I had it book marked but lost it when I formatted :S. I can't seem to goggle them ether.

On a note, how good are sonotubes? It would be MUCH less bother to build a simple box design. Oh and the radiator, does anybody have any experience with them?.

10. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Dave,

I reckon I might be going the same route....... :blush: , see what you've started ? :D

Hysteria,

Google "sonosub", you'll find loads of links........ This One should get you started anyway. Can't comment on performance, but sonotube subs is the way SVS started, (they're essentially made the same way still, but with very high quality drivers and amps...... Ian J and the SVS gang will probably lynch me for saying so, but check this diy model out, made by Ron Stimpson of SVS.... Click Here.

Sean.

11. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Oops :blush: that was a bit of a clanger on my part. That'll teach to pay more attention! I've been following the other threads with interet though.

12. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    no prob........... :D

Sean.