Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Feedback on Arcam FMJ A32

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Cheese Police, Jul 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Cheese Police

Cheese Police

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

After thinking through what people on this board suggested about the best way of getting good stereo sound as well as HC with one set of speakers, I've come to the conclusion that I need to buy an integrated stereo amp. I have a budget of GBP1000-ish and after a bit of digging I like the look of the Arcam A32. Here are my questions:

1/ Since I live in Switzerland and can't do extensive tests, I've decided to take advantage of a trip to Bristol in 2 weeks' time to buy the amp. Can anyone recommend any good shops in the city? And do you have to book demos in advance? I'll go on a Friday afternoon.

2/ Are there any other amps I should be checking out in this price bracket? I looked at Rotel out of curiosity, but was put off by the styling (shallow I know) - they look like they belong inside a 19" rack.

3/ My speakers and CD player are probably not in the same league as the Arcam (MS-908 fronts, old Marantz CD63 - will replace CDP at some point though), but would these components match the amp sonically? I like quite a relaxed and smooth sound - something that handles electronica as well as rock. I live in a flat, so masses of power is pointless.

Thanks

2. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    look at www.rayleighhifi.com They have one secondhand at the moment for £895.00

Hope this helps (and doesn't break any forum rules!!)

Steve

3. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can you not get Arcam in Switzerland, I was thinking of getting the AVR200 and seeing as my dad lives there was going to ask him to get a price (generally it all seems cheaper over there)

MediaMarkt seems especially cheap.

Sorry this didn't answer your questions.

4. Cheese Police

Cheese Police

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Steve - looks like a very good deal but unfortunately in the wrong direction (I'm visiting friends in Bristol in two weeks and fly in to Gatwick). Cheers for the tip though.

Johna - I've spent quite a bit of time on the web looking for Arcam dealers in Switzerland. The only one I can find is Sacom and their prices are a little steep: for the A32 they charge CHF3195, which is roughly GBP1400 - approx 20% more. VAT is lower in CH - maybe 7.5%, so you'd think that would have an effect on prices. Another problem is that independent retailers in CH are very slow to catch on to the www and if they do have a website, it's usually some MS Frontpage abomination with no list of stock, so I have no way of knowing who's got what.

Thanks for everyone's comments - any feedback on the amp itself?

5. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where in CH are you? I lived there so I know some good shops.

Remember that as long as you are a legal resident in CH you will be able to get your 17.5% VAT back at Gatwick although the Swissies will surely ask for their 7.5% if they catch you....still a good deal.

:D

Given the VAT situation, I think the UK will be your best bet.....

6. Cheese Police

Cheese Police

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in Geneva, but could get to Vaud/Fribourg/Neuchatel too. I'm sure I could find out elsewhere, but since you know the situation, what is the maximum value of goods you can bring in before being taxed? Last time I was in the UK I bought a centre speaker and some cables (came to about GBP150) and when I declared it at Cointrin I didn't have to pay anything. Or was this because I'd already paid UK VAT? I'm a bit confused.

7. spiderv6

spiderv6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure what the exact limit is but they say you are allowed to bring in goods for "personal gifts" so GBP150 sounds OK. Much more than that and I would expect them to get interested.

They certainly didn't let you off because you had paid UK VAT - they are non EU so don't give a damn!

My experience is in the Zurich/Basel area, so Geneva I don't know about. I'm pretty certain though that buying in the UK and reclaiming the VAT will be your best bet by a mile. Just make sure you get a proper VAT receipt for the claim (you can process it in the airport before you leave the country).

8. Cheese Police

Cheese Police

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks spiderv6. when my brother bought a guitar back from the UK, I'm sure he claimed the VAT back from the shop, after filling in a form there. They mailed him the money later on. I guess there are two ways of doing it. thanks for the advice. will have to remember my swiss permit when I travel.

Anyone have any comments on good shops in Bristol, and the FMJ A32 itself? Two chain stores I've found are Audio Excellence, and Sevenoaks.