Question Feedback Buzz/Hum When Turntable Turned On

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by nfisher, Jul 11, 2018.

1. nfisher

nfisher
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically when I turn on the turntable the amplifier emits a feedback buzz/hum sound, that is constant as long as the turntable is on or until the volume is turned all the way down. At first I thought it was a mains issue but I moved the system around my home and to different outlets and it made no difference. It seems to be linked to the tone arm as every time I lift it the volume and pitch of the buzz/hum changes. Any ideas? I just moved and this is a new problem.

2. Rachel H

Rachel H
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    With the amp on and volume at listening level what happens when you touch the tonearm cable in places or touch or twist the RCA plugs?

3. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    They are good questions to ask, the next one is to check that there should be a single earth point linking the turntable to the amplifier. If the leads from the turntable .. eg RCA types , have a braid ,this normally acts as the earth point and or a shield. If there is an additional connection on the back of the amplifier , then it can be made, provided that the braid only makes electrical contact at on end only.
    The majority of hum problems is having two earth points . The earth wire can act as a loop. The larger the area the loop occupies, the greater the amount of hum current produced. . Even the earth return green yellow wire in a plug can act as part of the loop.
    Phono systems are the most susceptible to this because it is traditional to send a very low level signal of a few millivolts and high impedence , along a metre or so of wiring BEFORE it gets amplified. And it has to be amplified by nearly 1000 fold. The shield is for electrostatic protection, and should have a connection at only one end... . The 4 wires of the cartridge are are looped together to reduce the area of their loop, but if there is another wire also connected, the loop is huge..