Prominent Member
Reaction score
My current setup

1 x Denon AVR-X2200W Amp
4 x Q Acoustics 3010 on their stands
1 x Q Acoustic 3070S Sub
1 x Q Acoustic 3090C Centre Speaker
1 x Marantz CD63 MkII KI Signature CD Player

1st thing to go in my 5.1 setup is the front set of 3010’s on stands.... to replace with some floorstanders for a bigger sound

What upgrades should I make after that?

I’m getting NO oooomph when listening to music cd’s in stereo, no low end even with the sub!
Just sounds WEAK

movies sound okay though

my receipt year ago from Richer Sounds Oxford

Attachments

• 5CF0501A-921A-491A-872A-849FE8D00221.jpeg
    5CF0501A-921A-491A-872A-849FE8D00221.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Is this the same thread as your other two?

Why don't you home trial a pre/power amp to see if it's the Denon you don't like or if it's the speakers.

What music do you listen to, and at what volume? Download an SPL meter app on your phone, play something, and let us know what kind of level you like.

Good bookshelves can sound big. And what do you mean by big, loud? Bassy?

@Conrad. he wants bigger sound and more oomph as mentioned. Those QA3010 are very small with 4" mid-bass drivers. I had the earlier version as i mentioned earlier and they can be very underwhelming on their own. Jumping to larger floorstanders like the MA Bronze 6 / QA 3050i will be huge step up!

To get the best out of them then selling X2200W next and then looking av-receiver with preouts and integrated stereo amp with HT-bypass. It is possible to find both as 2nd hand without breaking bank. But the speaker upgrade alone should satisfy one for while.

@Waynester there is now white QA3050i as QA refurb in mint condition for 450£/pair. If there is some return period, why you wouldn´t try them? You would still have the rest of system from QA so you wouldn´t need to swap them. Regarding the frequency response, i would take them as grain of salt as they are not going to tell you the whole truth!

Hi chaps

I’ve read many negatives about the Q Acoustics 3050i speakers, i don’t want anymore Q Acoustics stuff really... do you think the Bronze 5’s will sound fuller and more bassy and be a massive step up in sound quality over my 3010’s on their stands? I can find Bronze 5’s in White but wasn’t sure HOW theyd sound with my Denon AVRX2200 and obviously can’t demo any because of COVID-19

Big speakers give bigger presenstation (I own Celestion A3)

With better speakers you need a better amp, your Denon is pretty basic, so I would step up to 3600H with a dedicated three channel power amp for front, center (ie ATI 1803)

Nothing wrong with Q speakers, probably just expect too much from them (frequency response, play loudly, decent bass output) I heard a pair with Arcam cd/amp lifestyle system and very impressed, good sound and good build. Maybe keep them for height speakers, or a bedroom system? You can always reuse standmount speakers, I've moved around standmount speakers from system to system, from PC main speakers to home cinema rears etc.

You need to listen to Monitor Audio speakers.

You do have a good system, if that was mine

1) Buy floorstander speakers (£1000)
2) Buy a new av amp with pre outs (3600h)
3) Buy a stereo integrated amplifier with HT bypass
4) Buy a better subwoofer
5) Buy a matching, large center speaker. I prefer multi driver type like this (and sealed)

You do have a good system, if that was mine

1) Buy floorstander speakers (£1000)
2) Buy a new av amp with pre outs (3600h)
3) Buy a stereo integrated amplifier with HT bypass
4) Buy a better subwoofer
5) Buy a matching, large center speaker. I prefer multi driver type like this (and sealed)

Thanks for the advice, I will be getting a better Denon amp before the years out for sure, but can’t afford floor standers for £1000, just don’t have the budget for that without getting in interest free debt lol!!

what are your thoughts oh these compared to Bronze 5 and 6?

only heard monior audio years ago didnt like them. Apparently new ones sorted the aggressiveness,.

Probably not a good pairing with Denon probably match with Arcam integrated instead.

I wouldn't buy cheap floorstanders, my Celestions retailed at £4500...bought second hand for £650

If I can find Bronze 6 or wait for the new Bronze 500’s? They should be better... but anything floorstander wise is gonna give me a bigger sound than my 3010’s on their stands which is what I want... what’s wrong with my 3070s sub? That has great reviews everywhere 😳

3070 sub is a budget 2 x 6" 150W sub, can't expect too much from it. It'll be fine for a PC bedroom system, but not a main living room home cinema.

Since I haven't had any new experience with Monitor Audio I wouldn't like to guess what I, or you like

Plenty of brands, literally hundreds of speaker brands to choose from. I own Kef, Defintiive Technology, Ruark, Celestion.

I got the Denon AVXR3600H and QA speaker package bundle last month, bought a second sub as well and I’m impressed with these set up, the 3050i floor standers throw out plenty of sound with good base, the 3010i’s I use as surrounds in my 5.2.4 setup. Impressed with the amp too, I mainly watch movies and was never really impressed listening to music through my Sony STRD2400, but the music on the Denon is good too, maybe that’s because I’ve actually bought decent speakers now though

If you want a big sound for not a lot of money, grab a pair of B&W 602 used. They should set you back no more than £300 and they're huge. They're half floorstanders but they have a lot of bass and they sound good for both music and movies. I had a pair for a long time and I loved them.

Not the most subtle speakers in the world, but it doesn't sound like you're after delicate details.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
yeah big standmounts could be the answer, theres a pair of Celestion 1 on ebay (new £1000) Great speakers

Also checkout Kef R series I think R300? I've owned B&W found them a bit sibilant.

yeah big standmounts could be the answer, theres a pair of Celestion 1 on ebay (new £1000) Great speakers

Also checkout Kef R series I think R300? I've owned B&W found them a bit sibilant.

They absolutely can be, although I find it can depend on source and I noticed it less on the 600s than the 800s. Some people are more sensitive to it than others too, but it's a good call.

My 602s were absolute tanks. I DJd with them at parties, movies, music, real workhorses.

How about these, Lilke the look of these and can then upgrade my amp and sub later on?

Just had a look at the Q Acoustics 3050i in White, having come from the 3010’s which obviously are thin sounding, I’m just not sure what my Denon AVRX2200 will sound like with them... I can’t demo anywhere as everywhere is shut lol
also not sure if I can buy speakers then test em for a few days and send em back?

what are your thoughts oh these compared to Bronze 5 and 6?

If you want stronger low end then look for B6s or try the Monitor 300s. B5s won´t likely give you what you are looking for 2ch listening. They are enjoyable speakers, but won´t have that strong bass cause they are very compact sized. Did you call the Excellent AV already about those B6s i linked?

Denon and Monitor Audio will work fine together, no worries.

Have you thought about the new Bronze 100 as you have stands there already? 8" mid-bass drivers.

Or if you can stretch the Silver 100 as the center channel was mentioned.

If you want stronger low end then look for B6s or try the Monitor 300s. B5s won´t likely give you what you are looking for 2ch listening. They are enjoyable speakers, but won´t have that strong bass cause they are very compact sized. Did you call the Excellent AV already about those B6s i linked?

Denon and Monitor Audio will work fine together, no worries.

Have you thought about the new Bronze 100 as you have stands there already? 8" mid-bass drivers.

Or if you can stretch the Silver 100 as the center channel was mentioned.

Couldn’t see a link for the B6’s mate?

i was looking at the Monitor 300’s but aren’t they kind of budget and not in the same league as Bronze 6’s?
tempted to try those Q Acoustic 3050i’s now... but don’t want to be stuck with em if they sound thin with Denon AVRX2200

Depends on room size also mine is 2500 sq feet with speakers going down to 32hz. I don't need a sub for music, runnning full range with stereo pre amp. No eq, tone controls, bass management.

You have too many variables, guessing what speakers you may like but may not sound good.

Couldn’t see a link for the B6’s mate?

i was looking at the Monitor 300’s but aren’t they kind of budget and not in the same league as Bronze 6’s?
tempted to try those Q Acoustic 3050i’s now... but don’t want to be stuck with em if they sound thin with Denon AVRX2200

Call them now and ask! Don´t worry about the price..

Regarding 3050i and X2200w, @WozzaB you have both? How they sound with music? Enough bass to get legs moving? You upgraded from 3010i right?

Call them now and ask! Don´t worry about the price..

Regarding 3050i and X2200w, @WozzaB you have both? How they sound with music? Enough bass to get legs moving? You upgraded from 3010i right?

whose WozzaB?

Im getting my New speakers on the Never never😂
Putting down £200 and will spend another £400 to £450 on top towards new ones... got a friend buying my 2 x front 3010’s with stands for £120

That'll be me!
I have the 3050i, they replaced the 3010i I had. The 3050i have a lot more bass than the 3010i, well in my room at least!
They sounded great in stereo, running off an Audiolab amp, I turned my sub off and was surprised that a lot of the bass was still there, they still sound nice with the Denon 3500 I'm currently using.
I will say that I haven't heard the Bronzes at home, I've heard them in a shop and preferred the 3050i, but the bass didn't sound like it does at home, so maybe the Bronzes would sound good too.

Ooooh! Found clearance deals on some Dali Oberon 7’s and 5’s... good speakers? 🤔

Ooooh! Found clearance deals on some Dali Oberon 7’s and 5’s... good speakers? 🤔

Yes if you like bit extra sparkle on the top end! :) Where QA is more neutral Dali is brighter but also more lively and the wide soundstage is amazing it throws. I was close to picking them but the Bronze felt bit more safer for me. It could go either way with you. The Oberon 7 would be model to consider in your case. I heard the earlier version 5s and just like Bronze 5s they are bit light on the bass for 2.0 listening, but the model 7 should do the trick. Larger cabinet and dual 7"s. What is said about Dali Zensor 7 applies largely to Oberon 7, the latter should be slightly better/more refined so do some digging. It`s really shame you can`t listen first, but ask the dealer if there is return period. White mask is available too..

dali-ober7-wht_l_5-medium.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom