Quantcast

Federico Fellini's 8½ Blu-ray Review & Comments

Slinkywizard

Thanks for this review, Cas. I'm really glad AVForums takes the time to examine slightly more high-brow gems like this one. There's a 4K remaster of La Dolce Vita at the BFI and certain selected cinemas at the mo and I'm just hoping that it gets a 4K disc release. Will definitely be picking this one up soon, too.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Rome, Open City wasn't Fellini's debut, it was directed by Roberto Rossellini not Fellini.
Too right, he wrote it. Thanks.

Should have known better, I reviewed Rome many decades ago, and could have sworn - whilst worthy - it displayed very little that you could describe as stylistic flourish; a long way away from the way Otto e Mezzo's shot.

Last edited:

LotusElan

Very fractionally off topic, as this isn't about the BD release, but I'd noticed that this film had appeared on Prime Video recently (or perhaps it had always been there!). I've never seen it before so it has been added to my watchlist.

I've no idea where they've sourced the film from, though, so it may well be significantly inferior to the BD with respect to picture and sound quality. It's bound to be "worse" due to it being compressed/streamed. :)

And of course this isn't an option at all if you're after the extras!

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Very fractionally off topic, as this isn't about the BD release, but I'd noticed that this film had appeared on Prime Video recently (or perhaps it had always been there!). I've never seen it before so it has been added to my watchlist.

I've no idea where they've sourced the film from, though, so it may well be significantly inferior to the BD with respect to picture and sound quality. It's bound to be "worse" due to it being compressed/streamed. :)

And of course this isn't an option at all if you're after the extras!

Going off the reviews, I'd say avoid the Amazon Prime version.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Oh dear - I hadn't read the reviews; sounds like the audio delay is quite bad then! Wonder if I can fix that by twiddling with the lip synch setting on my amp.
If it stays constant.

Will wait for an offer in HMV probably.

LotusElan

Okay, I've read the reviews properly this time to realise it's the subtitles that are out of synch, so there's no way our AV amp can fix that problem!