1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fed up with the Denon 1910

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by philips, May 30, 2005.

1. philips

philips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few month back I bought a Denon 1910 to go with my Loewe Xelos 32 LCD.

Conneting over DVI is less than impressive, borders appear around the edge, black borders at the top and bootom lead to poor contrast against the actual picture and blacks in the picture are washed out.

All in all the picture is better over scart!!! I can at least control the ratio of the screen over scart.

Fed up - anybody come across similar problems or have solutions.

Otherwise my next stop is to sell the player and to never buy Denon again. :mad:

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    DVI offers less controllability over the picture for some reason. I do tend to use the overscan facility on my projector (to nip off the black borders) more often using DVI vs component.

I suspect this is not a problem with the Denon alone.

Actually, it's probably more of a "feature". For example - 1.85:1 movies, strictly speaking, should show very small borders on a 1.78:1 (ie 16:9) screen...PJ :)

3. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    If you are upconverting to 720P or 1080i then you will have no ratio control. Its not a fault of the player, its doing what its supposed to i.e. 1280 X 720 is a fixed widescreen 16:9 format. If you want ratio control over the DVI picture then you will have to turn the upconverting off.

As for the poor blacks have you setup the TV correctly i.e. tried Avia or something similar ?

4. Loewe

Loewe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am more than happy with 1910, DVI and (Sharp) LCD. No borders when DVI-input is set to digital AV. Except of course the natural borders on top and bottom of all films wider than 16/9 (most films). The 1910 has gamma-adjustment that is nice if you want more details in dark scenes!

Check if the player needs new firmware! Needs to be ver. 1.10 or higher.