Fed up with the 360

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Razor, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    I cant believe I am writing this post but here goes. I have been looking forward to the 360 since the begining of last year, but recently I have had urges to throw the whole lot out of the window.

- Firstly I am on my 2nd 360 my first one died after an update a few weeks ago.
    - Secondly I am fed up with bying games that dont work online as they should or promised.

COD2 - It was lag city for 5 months untill last week when the patch finally arrived. 5 Months of having an unplayable game is IMO unacceptable. To add to this we can only host games of 8 players maximum. My question is why has it taken nearly half a year for a patch to sort the terrible online play and why have we only got 8 players in a game when a lesser speced pc could handle 32 players?

DOA4 - How on earth can a 2 player game have lag in it. Unacceptable

GRAW - We were promised the earth with this game but got no where near. The game has more bugs than Rent-a-Kill. The single player game looks lovelly but the multiplayer game has different graphics and contol method. Ubis excuse was that 2 different teams works on each part of the game. I am sorry but what kind of excuse is this. Did they not see what the other team was doing in terms of graphics and control. Also we were promised 16 player online co-op and death match. I have a 600k measured upload and i can only host 4 players in co-op and 6 in deathmatch. A long way away from 16 players. The game is totally flawed with graphical glitches in both single and mulitplayer games.

I am personally fed up with splashing cash on games that dont work as they should. I have cancelled all my pre-oreders and instead will wait to see if these new games will work online as they should.

Am I alone in feeling this and does anyone else feel we are getting a raw deal with online play.

2. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I do agree with you on the online side of things, I'm also sick of being told you can hold 8-16 player only to see the games lag like a bitch. Also i really rate recon and cod2 offline although some of the bugs in recon did my head in. I wanted to play cod2 online as its my fave fps ever but the lag was a joke.

Now we have screen tearing on games like pdz,recon and i've seen it on madden although that might be down to the demo? this really puts me off if i'm honest.

I did have live but my account ran out a few weeks back do i miss it? nah not really sick of waiting for the lag to get fixed etc but most of all the fecking knobs online just pee me off too much.

Now saying all that i really do like my 360 and have had fun finishing pgr3 cod2 kameo recon, and can't wait till the 7th for top-spin 2.

3. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Online is important to me too and it bugs me when it's flawed.

It's nothing new though, we had flawed online in some Xbox titles and the less said about PS2 online the better. How many online PC games are there that haven't been patched to make them right? I'm not saying it's right, just that problems aren't exclusive to the 360.

The COD patch definately took a long time but it probably involved a major re-write of the net code which isn't by any means trivial. Looks like it was another game guilty of being rushed out to make the release date.

I'm still baffled by your problems with DOA4. We've spoken on here about this before and it sounds like everything should be fine. If I remember correctly, you are using a wireless connection. Have you ever tried playing DOA 4 with a wired, rather than wireless connection?

4. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Can you give me some warning when the box gets thrown. I will pop round and catch it :)

Agree with you though. It seems we were spoilt at the beginning. Not with the quality of the games but the quality of the online play. PDZ and PGR worked almost flawlessly with reasonable counts of people.

Market place is also going to result in us not only getting buggy games but also just getting 3/4's of a game. Why sell GRAW with 12 multiplay maps if you can just give 4 and charge later for the other 8.

I will join you in the "your not getting my money until the game is proven to work camp".

5. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Hello Bishman. I havent tried DOA4 since I first got the game. I know there has been an update since then. I have tried my 360 in both hardwired and wireless mode both give me the same results. :(

For me gaming is 90% online and 10% single player. The reason why I loved the old xbox was Live play and the reason why I loved the 360 at first was live play (PGR and PD0 work fine online).

Micorsofts biggest weapon against Sony's PS2 and PS3 is Live so why arent they getting it right. :confused:

6. m40wen

m40wen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    DOA4 has been coded poorly and the lag on this is terrible. Its a common fault.

I agree with the big girls comments. Why should we be paying £50 for soemthing that doesnt work correctly? I would suggest that these games are being rushed out to try and maximise sales - lets face it in a few months time there will be a lot more games on the want list.

However, ironically a launch title offers the best online play (PDZ), and for all its faults it delivers one hell of a time on this. How can games coming out 5months later not be on par is beyond me.

Offline things largely look good but to be honest its only the same old thing with better grahics - its the online part that I am interested in and this is what fails. We can all argue about broadband speeds etc but developers should use whats available and devlop with that in mind, not hope that 1gb broadband will arrive on our doorstops.

Indeed, this aspect of putting games out with known defects and then getting patches for it is also not on (GRAW had known defects).

I dont regret my purchase at all, but my patience is getting a bit thin and I am still lacking a killer title. Even my beloved PDZ has huge bugs in it (lighting, glitching/cheating, sometime it wont let you change/draw weapon, magsecs too powerful), and the patches that do come out seem to take an age.

7. ovany1

ovany1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup totally agree with you on this the online capacity is what sold it to me in the first place but with the way its going im looking to restart playing WOW on the PC.

8. chillo

chillo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    yep, agree 110%!

i'll say it again, i'm not a beta tester!

i know people have said you can't truly test online multiplayer until it hits the general market, so why did halo2 work fine when it was released?:rolleyes:

it games being rushed to the Market!:suicide:

9. rss

rss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    In a way, we are all beta-testers for the 360. It's only a few months into its life and there will be problems, especially the online aspect. This is the first time there has been several million 360's in customers hands, with countless ISPs, broadband packages and so on. I'm sure Live will be much improved 12 months from now.

It's funny, I have a pining for WOW too. It started this weekend when I first started playing Oblivion. My first thought was "where is everbody?" !

10. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    I've played it quite a lot and 99% of the time it's OK. Only really see a problem when playing foreigners which is always an issue with a 1v1 game that needs to be synchronised. It certainly doesn't seem to be any different to DOAU on the Xbox for me when playing online.

11. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    The updates didn't do anything to address lag as far as I know. Looks like DOA is a write off for you then. It's still completely baffling to me :confused:.

Unfortunately live is only as good as the developers make it. Look at COD2 as a perfect example. If they'd taken their time with it in the first place, then it would have not been an issue.

12. daKlone

daKlone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Right on, big fella! :thumbsup:

13. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    MS had a load of input into Halo and into making sure that it worked properly online. Unfortunately not all developers will have that same level of help as MS first party ones. Konami are a prime example and were actually offered help for Pro Evo 4 online but went about things their own way and messed it up.

There is definately an element of that to it. Unfortunately as it's not possible to test games on the full live network untill they are released, we will potentially always have issues unless devs are able to draw on their past experiences.

For me the biggest issue isn't that their are problems or bugs, it's when nothing is done about it that really gets to me. A lot of developers release their games and forget about them when they could fix them and make them much better.

Obviously delays in patches are also a problem but from what I've heard the COD2 patch at least gets it right, if a little late.

14. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503

Agreed. I can sort of accept that accidents happen and you may get a few bugs in a game but COD 2 was unaccpetable.

Firstly the online section lag aside was awfull, you couldnt set up your own room, block people, private game etc...

Also it took 5 months to get a patch out. There is no excuse for this. People say it must of needed a fair bit of programing. Well if that is the case and it takes them 5 months for a patch when did they start progaming COD2 in the late 1980's. Activison should be ashamed at their behaviour.

Do you think we as consumers should either:

a. Get a discount off (rebait) the faulty game as the online section didnt work meaning that 50% of the game was faulty. Also the multiplayer aspect is the part that has the most longevity.

b. Allowed a full refund as the game is faulty and doesnt do what it says on the tin.

I think by law either of these options should be made availible to us the customer.

It would be no different if it was another product such as a sofa, kettle, microwave, fridge, table etc....

15. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Halo 2 did have a bug in it when they first released it - it used to take 2-3mins to find a game. Bungie released a patch in about three days though that totally fixed the probem. I do agree that Halo 2 can be held up as an example of what good programming and net code can achieve for online multiplayer.

16. daKlone

daKlone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Why not?

All that is required is a few people "play testing" at various locations surely?

And we've seen plenty of MS and other employees with new games on their gamercards before they're launched.

Sorry, I don't understand why these games cannot be fully tested on the Live network before release. :confused:

17. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503

3 days thats what we need, fast action. :thumbsup:

Rainbow 6 on the xbox was another excellent online game. No hassels or problems there. It all worked. One of the resons I expected GRAW to be fine online. How wrong could I be. :( :thumbsdow

18. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    It should be illegal to criticise xbox live and than say in the same breath I'm going to play WOW on the PC.

WOW is a great game sure but suffered far far more than live has.

Wow had duping gold, teleporting, flying, speed hacking among many other cheats.

WOW had ques of multiple hours sometimes to get into high population servers, it had days straight downtime, It has updates and weekly scheduled down time that lasts for many many hours.

It had bugs and lag galore as well as a huge lack of content in the end game.

Sure I've no doubt things have improved since I stopped playing.

You could write pages and pages on the shortcomings of wow. It didn't stop it being a great game though (at least for a few months of hardcore play) just as the problems with live don't stop it being a great system.

That comment is similar to the 360 launch sucked I couldn't get a console, I'm going to wait for a ps3 :rotfl:

19. dancleary1

dancleary1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    lol the best online play so far has been oblivion. Of course, there is no multiplayer, but simply the ability to chat with your pal when you are both playing is nothing short of amazing, and something I am dangerously taking for granted already.:cool:

20. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    MS dont' allow it, it's as simple as that.

Games are tested on a system called partnernet which should emulate all things live. This in theory should allow for proper testing but it's like testing a car on a smooth road which offers ideal driving conditions, then finding it falls over when driven over a pothole. There's nothing quite like a test in real world conditions for finding faults.

The games that MS employees play on partnernet show up on their profiles.

21. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    You can chat with your pal while you're playing any game. Even if he's playing Perfect Dark and you're playing an Xbox live arcade game. It's not exclusive to Oblivion.

22. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503

True, I use it as a phone. Only problem is though I have dropped one controller down the toilet whilst I was having a ****. Lesson learned dont go for a wee when using your headset and pad.

It did make me laugh though. :rotfl:

23. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Some games are pretty free from lag - PGR3 has very occasional lag (I'm talking one in 25 races at the most), I've never had any problem on Fight Night and Burnout has been completely lag free online so far for me.

24. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    The best online game for me is PD0 where i have hosted over 30 players from all over with no lag or drop outs. If all Live games were like this then we wouldnt have any problems. :)

25. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Call Of Duty was definately not acceptable. Like you say, the lag issues aside, there were many features missed that should have been there.

The console hasn't even been on the shelves 4 months yet, so not quite sure how you've arrived at 5 months for the patch! That's by the by though. I'm certain that there was a lot of work involved in this particular patch. It certainly wasn't the case where a quick fix would have done as with Halo.

I don't think that the law covers us for anything in this case. Prior to the patch release there could well have been a claim for it not being fit for purpose. Now that the patch is here, Infinity Ward and Activision can just say that the game now performs as it should. It's no different to a new car that has a recall due to a defect. The owner isn't entitled to compensation because the manufacturers fix it at cost to themselves. The only way that compensation would be available is if the manufacturers know about the fault and do nothing.

26. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    :rotfl: Now that's funny. Nearly as funny as the bloke that set fire to his microphone foam while trying to light a fag playing Moto GP one night. :rotfl:

27. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    A couple of myfriends have encountered lag on Fight Night when playing against Americans but other than that it's been fine. It's a much slower pace of game than something like DOA though, so should be more online friendly. Games like Burnout and PGR are a different kettle of fish though. Because the track updates are handled by your own box, if there is any lag it's much less noticeable. Lag in these types of game usually manifests itself as certain players cars being a bit jumpy. Also, although Burnout shifts at a huge rate, the actual player input doesn't happen very often so there's not actually much info that needs to be trasmitted.

28. daKlone

daKlone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well, the "Partnernet" thing is obviously great-big-pants then :(

29. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Bishman

COD2 was released in the US 2 weeks before we got it here in the UK (December 2nd UK launch) its near the 5 month mark.

As for the refund issue, surely before the patch is released we can get some sort of money back or full refund. I think there is a loop hole in the law which is letting these game manufacturers get away with murder. If a game takes a few weeks for a patch well I can live with that but the amount of time COD 2 has taken is unacceptable and I feel we as paying customers should get compensation or money back no quibbles.

30. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503

LOL... :rotfl: I havent herd of that one. I have covered my mic in doughnut jam. :)