1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fed up with my Philips TV

Discussion in 'TVs' started by DigiDragon, Aug 31, 2003.

1. DigiDragon

DigiDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 24PW6006 which I bought from Tesco and it's been back to Endeva twice with the same problem. The TV started to switch itself off after a few seconds. The first time they said it was a dry joint, and the second time they fitted a new painter chip.

Although, it's working, they've done something to the picture. Basically it looks like the contrast is cocked up. I have the setting at 50%, but I can never get a proper black - blacks look like washed out greys.

It's not that noticeable in daylight when watching news or soaps, but at night when watching movies containing any sort of night-type scenes, it's very noticeable. Also, I can see green lines which are in a zig-zag pattern on the screen.

I tried to take a photo, but I couldn't get it to show what I mean, so I did a mock-up which is attached.

The black bars are black on the TV, but the black areas of the scene are not black on the TV - they look washed-out as shown in the attachment. Also, the green lines are not quite as prominent as in the attachment, but are very noticeable on the darker areas of the scene.

I really don't want Endeva to come out again, as it's difficult to show the problem in daylight, so I was wondering if there was a way to adjust it using the service menu etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. DoogyDawg

DoogyDawg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    read the pixel plus sticky at the top of the forum

3. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    looks like flyback lines to me. Normaly a IC is on its way out

4. DigiDragon

DigiDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To DoogyDawg, I read the pixel plus thread, but my TV is a normal 50Hz model, and I couldn't find anything in that thread relevant to my problem.

But thanks, scooby do, at least I know what the lines are called now. From a quick google I gather they're called "retrace lines" too.

Armed with that knowledge, I think I'll give the Tesco helpline another ring next week.

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    It's the Brightness control that affects Black Level, tweaking that should sort out the grey/black problem. Contrast is for adjusting the White Level. The green lines shouldn't be there so that would have to be sorted out by an engineer etc.

6. DigiDragon

DigiDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well if I turn down the brightness to 0% (contrast still at 50%) then the TV picture is still clearly visible - a little bit dim but still clearly visible.

Also, if I watch a blank 4:3 channel (say channel 14 on freeview) then the bars at the left and right of the screen are black, but the blank picture (at 0% brightness) is still grey. And I can still see the green scan lines.

7. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sound like the screen or focus control inside the TV on the EHT needs to be turned slightly. I wouldn't recommend you do this yourself as it can have 22 to 33 thousand volts coming off it.

8. DigiDragon

DigiDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even if you did recommend it, you wouldn't catch me poking around a TV tube :eek: ;)

A guy from Endeva phoned today and a techinician is coming out on Friday. I just hope that he can see the problem like I can.

Is the technician likely to be able to make the adjustments that colesy mentioned himself, or will the TV have to go back to their workshop again...?

9. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If the solution is as I described, then he should be able to do it on site. It's just a minor tweak.

10. DigiDragon

DigiDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks colesy, I hope you're right.

I'm just a bit ****** off with it going wrong and having to go back to Endeva for weeks on end. And because of that I tried to put up with the dodgy picture.

But before it started playing up I was really happy with the picture, and I can't put up with the way it is now.

11. DigiDragon

DigiDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You were right, colesy.

The guy arrived, I showed him the problem, and he took the back off the TV, and adjusted the black level setting at the back of the tube. Ten minutes later he was gone.

And now blacks actually look black.

Looking forward to watching Lord of the Rings later without green scan lines...

12. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Give the tv a real test, use Road to Perdition if you have it.:)

13. DigiDragon

DigiDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not having seen it, how would Road to Perdition test it?

14. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lots of black.

Alternatively try Das Boot, should show up any problems in the dark scenes (although you need to see it running first on a working & well setup display)- otherwise you'll have no reference.

15. DigiDragon

DigiDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have se7en on dvd - that's pretty dark...

16. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I hope he used some form of screen test before he left.
    An engineer can just turn the adjustment pot and have it TOO dark.
    I don't meant to alarm you by this. You can compensate by your normal control adjustments i.e brightness/contrast if he has turned id down a little too far.

17. DigiDragon

DigiDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well his test equipment consisted of him at the back of the tube twiddling a screwdriver while asking me "How does it look now...?"

I don't think he turned it down quite far enough. The green scan lines have gone, but a blank picture is not black enough. There a kind of bluish flickering going on when the picture is supposed to be black, but at least it's better than the green lines.

I won't be calling Endeva out again. I have a mate who tinkers with TVs. I know where the black level adjustment is, so I'll ask him to turn it down a bit more and see if it makes a difference.

18. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,330
    Does all this apply to Toshiba's as well? My 28" (flat screen but no components, approx 1yr old) starts off quite dark but gets lighter and lighter as viewing continues. Is it as simple as twiddling something at the back?