Fed up with blu/ray on my PC!

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by tony @ suffolk, Jan 24, 2008.

1. tony @ suffolk

tony @ suffolk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Right, I've just about had enough! Seems everything I do just ends up causing further problems!

I decided to install an LG blu/ray HD DVD drive in my PC and use it to play HD content via my SIM2 projector. A simple enough task, surely...

I swiftly realised my graphics card wasn't up to the job, so bought a Sapphire 2600 XT. Installed, no problem. Bought AnyDVD. Got PowerDVD Ultra with the drive. Downloaded & installed the latest drivers.

Now for the life of me I can't get the blessed thing to show a blu ray film on the projector in the right aspect ratio. I thought I'd try Media Center, & after setting this up for the projector's 1920x1080 native resolution it'll play a normal DVD just fine. It'll also play a blu ray fine on the 1280x960 computer monitor. Great! However, when I try to play a blu ray disk on media center it reports it can't. Damn. Why not? Zilch info. on either the Cybertech, Microsoft or Sapphire sites.

Why the devil won't this work? And why's the information so absolutely crummy from these people who've taken my money on false pretences? Or is it me?

:mad::mad::mad:

2. insomniak123

insomniak123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    ... the projectors HDCP compliant i take it?

3. tony @ suffolk

tony @ suffolk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Yes, but anyway AnyDVD disables it.

Not content to give up, I've just tried setting up with only the projector as the display, i.e. not in dual monitor mode, & it plays fine. So it's the dual monitor thing that doesn't work. And believe me I've tried all different combinations of this!

4. TOOMANYWIRES

TOOMANYWIRES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've hit the nail on the head about the dual monitor thing Tony. I had the same problem as you using power dvd ultra et al. Finally got it working by making the pj the primary display, but somewhere along the line I did get a message saying blu-ray was not compatible with dual view, which is a bit of pain as when you've done veiwing the pj you have swap all your settings back to veiw the monitor:rolleyes:

5. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I use dual monitor.

Pana AE2000 projector 1920x1080 on Primary (HDMI)
    19" TFt 1280x1024 on Secondary (VGA)

Gfx card is MSI 2400pro
    Using XP and PowerDVD Ultra fine with Bluray

I also use Ultramon. This allows me to have different desktop backgrounds on each screen as well as force apps to a particular monitor.

I do not use ATIs catalyst control centre - I have never liked it so I do not install it.

6. tony @ suffolk

tony @ suffolk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Thanks John. I've just been looking at the Ultra Mon website & this certainly seems to fit the bill!

Presumably once it's installed I can un-install the ATI Catalyst Centre?

7. insomniak123

insomniak123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    Aye, I use UltraMon and have no problems using blu-ray with Dual monitors (19" @ 1280x1024 and 23" @ 1920x1080) :smashin:

very good little program imo

8. pablo_paul

pablo_paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I just setup profiles in CCC one for dual screen, One for PC, and one for HDTV. all you have to then do is right click on the CCC icon in the Task Bar select the profile and job done.

It was really annoying until i did this!

9. abraxus

abraxus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I also use Ultramon to switch between my TV and projector and have created shortcut keys to switch between the two which I've mapped to my harmony remote so I can switch between the two with a single press of the remote.

10. tony @ suffolk

tony @ suffolk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    So I bought a copy of this Ultramon program today and.. I'm no further ahead.

Here's a copy of the E-mail I sent to their support (yet to receive a reply) :-

"Hello.

I’ve just bought a copy of Ultramon from you for my Vista PC. And I’m struggling! I’m what you might call a Silver Surfer and as such I’m completely out of my depth with this – the help screens are way too technical for me. Have I bought the wrong thing perhaps?

I’m currently trying to set up my computer to play DVDs, both standard & Blu-Ray, through my SIM2 projector, but using the ATI “Catalyst Control Center” that came with my 2600XT graphics card I’m completely unable to set the different resolutions on the projector & computer monitor so they each show the correct resolutions. On a recommendation I bought the Ultramon program & I still can’t work it out. Must be me!

Put simply, I want to use the projector for playing movies, TV and looking at photos with Vista Media Center using the projector’s 1920x1080 resolution, but also be able to see what’s going on with the monitor ideally at its resolution of 1280x1024. This seems to be something your software can do! But how?!

Firstly, should I uninstall the ATI software package? Then if you could kindly give me a “How to” sequence in simple language I would be very grateful!

Thank you in anticipation!"

11. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Not sure if it helps, but from my experience with dual view, you can't have the computer display and tv both running at their native res...

If you want boths screen running then they will both run at low resolutions, if you just use a single display you should be able to run it at it's native res, so tv at 1080P and no pc display... tested it with Nvidia 7600 on Laptop via HDMI, if the tv reads EDID information makes life so much easier, just pop the cable in, go to control panel and select tv as primary display and resolution should set itself, i,e in your case projector not tv... so using projector as primary display and the only display running videos eg..BD should play fine, it's when you start using Dual display you get problems, video playback and dual display is a problem, unless both screens have the same native res then it's a no no...., there is an option to clone vidoe to other display, or only have vidoe running on one, but like I said unless both displays are same native res/identical then it won't really work, you can run a 16:9 screen and 4:3 screen at the same time effectively...

12. tony @ suffolk

tony @ suffolk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Thanks meansizzler. Very good explanation! It's now clear to me that you're perfectly correct.

Here's the reply I received to my query above :-

"Hi Tony,

mirroring doesn't work on Vista yet, support for this is planned for Beta 3.

I'm not sure if this will be a good solution though, UltraMon mirroring is done in software and is not ideal for mirroring live video.

Let me know if you would like a refund for the software.

Regards,

Christian Studer
    http://www.realtimesoft.com"

To be fair, if I'd spent a bit more time looking through their information I would have realised it wasn't compatible with Vista.

So, I really need to set up a hotkey to switch between displays I guess. I haven't got a problem with this incidentally, I just wish things were much clearer in the information provided by the vendors of both hardware and software!

Incidentally, I'm currently running a copy of Arcsoft "Total Media Center" which, unlike Power DVD Ultra, runs in Vista Media Center.

13. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Is mirroring what you want then as I didn't see that in the original post?

Ultramon is not required to run different resolutions on each monitor. Its part of windows. But as stated if you want to run mirroring with different resolutions and video (overlay) then its not ideal.

14. tony @ suffolk

tony @ suffolk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I didn't particularly want mirroring- I just wanted to be able to run both displays & watch a Blu-Ray or indeed any other sort of DVD on my projector in the right ratio!

I cared not if the image on the monitor wasn't at the correct resolution, but it had to be correct for the projector. Neither did I care if the picture to the monitor went off during film replay.

I've now used the Catalyst Control Centre to set up a hot key which toggles between displays, and problem solved. Each display when it's active shows everything in the correct ratio.

I'm annoyed with the lack of clear information which is supplied with software & hardware regarding its suitability and compatibility. Quite honestly some of the stuff I've read is in breach of the Trades Description Act!:mad: