1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fed up with air-guitar.

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by o THE CHAD o, Dec 28, 2003.

1. o THE CHAD o

o THE CHAD o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    my wifes fed up with me leaping around the kitchen playing air-guitar,she told to buy a guitar and learn how to play it.

ok, i will i replied.obviously im not going to rush out and buy a strat and a stack of amps in case i cant get the hang of it.so ,i thought a cheap learners acoustic from argos for £50 just so i could learn where the chords are etc.

i havent got the money to get a tutor to teach me,so i was wondering if anyone could advise a very keen newbie as to ways of the guitar.

obviously im not expecting to be belting out voodoo chile like jh in a weekend!:rotfl:

seriously any advice would be really appreciated.:smashin:

2. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OLGA is pretty good, though maybe a little advanced. There is plenty of tab on there to start at, but lessons too. There's a section on how to read tab and that's pretty much the simplest way to learn stuff.

A quick search on Goolge came up with this place and this place but I've not used them before myself. It's probably worth investing £10 in a book with all the chords in too, written both in tab and sheet music.

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    You need to learn the basics, so at least some form of book is handy. As Gambit said, try the web sites, theres loads of these.

Loads of people will tell you to practice scales, many books want you to play campfire songs with open chords.

Best advice I can give is to get a decent electronic guitar tuner and a tube of 'fast fret' and a selection of picks. Use the tuner before every session and clean the strings with FF after every session. Try the various picks until you find one you like.

Warm you fingers up before you start playing and wear gloves if you have to go out into the cold after playing (just like a Gym for your fingers). Keep the nails of your fretting hand as short as possible. Remember that you will experience some pain in the fingertips, particularly at the start and extended sessions will result in hand cramps the next day.

Next, you will need to understand TAB, this is the way guitar music is written down. Its a simple format which shows the fingerboard of the guitar and shows the position of your fingers on the frets. Dont try and learn every chord, just try for the basics and get a clean sound. Learn A,C,D,E,G,Em,Am (the m stands for minor).

Once you have the basic idea of what a chord consists of you can move on to power chords. These are simplified barre chords, which are commonly used in Rock music and are common to virtually every HM band. Build up your repertoire using music that you like, forget lead guitar for the moment, just concentrate on playing something you know to a recognisable level, not perfect, just enough to give you a feel of success.

On a final note. Dont put the guitar in a room you never use, put it close at hand so you can pick it up easily, when your having a coffee, watching TV, listening to music etc. Practise intensly for short periods and then rest for a while (like weight training), when you have done practising a piece of music, just strum something you enjoy. Above all, MAKE IT FUN.

The guitar is NOT an easy taskmaster, dont think its a simple instrument to play. Guys like Hendrix, start playing at around 6 or 7 years old and are giving concerts by the time they are in their teens. Most practise for several hours a day, every day and I dont mean a couple of hours, its more like 5 or 6.

Dont be discouraged if you dont make giant leaps in the first few months or even years of learning. Look at it as a long term relationship, just enjoy the learning process. If you find that you are a budding Jimmy Page, then thats fantastic, you might learn at a faster rate, but even he practises.

Dont give up, just take a few small steps each day.

4. o THE CHAD o

o THE CHAD o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    thanks mate,some very good encouraging advice there.im looking forward to learning the craft now.

thanks again.

5. slayerad2000

slayerad2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try powertab
    it's a tab program that show's you what notes to play and also plays the song in midi for you to play along to
    the midi sounds a bit cheesy but if you know the tunes it's fine
    i've been using this program since i started to learn guitar 7 months ago and have found it excellent to teach yourself
    :devil:

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    PM me if you get stuck and I will try and help out.