1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

fed up waiting for tosh.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jugglerb, Oct 11, 2005.

1. jugglerb

jugglerb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    42wlt58....Any idea whats available as an alternative\equivalant to this set? Im getting fed up watching a 12" portable whilst waiting for buyyourav to get some stock of the 42wlt58 from toshiba.

Im tempted to cancel and get the 37 but wondered if there was any other 42" sets in a similar price band.

Also I noticed that buy your av debited my CC 3 weeks ago AND started the 0% finance deal at the same time - and I havent even received the TV...is this allowed?

2. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't wait any longer so cancelled with EmpireDirect. They'd had the money for almost 2 weeks and still couldn't give me a date.

Did you give them permission? If not and they can't give you a specific date (no company seems to have stock to be fair) then cancel if you feel uncomfortable.

If you want a 42" LCD, good price and the great connectivity you'll need to stick with the Toshiba. The only other TV I looked at was this and this (available much cheaper if you look around and don't want the extended warranty).

I keep coming back to the Tosh though!

3. jugglerb

jugglerb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers for that. Im not keen on the look of the samsung, tosh looks much nicer. The new one 61b looks nice but thats almost as much as the tosh 42 so doesnt really compare.

Saw a 37" LG on display in dixons on saturday was very impressed with the HD being played on it - didnt get the model number though.

4. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, that older model Samsung (as seen on TV ads all week) is horrible.

I have to be honest and say I saw the Toshiba 37" at the weekend and thought it was deeply fugly. The case colour is very dissapointing. Very tacky 1980s. very disapointing.

All Sumsungs I've seen have been a beautiful black except for that one with the daft pointy bit (making it look like a £99 PC monitor).

I'm not sure what I'll go for now. Either this or the Humax 40" with 2xDVB freeview recorder.

5. Persilpowder

Persilpowder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been waiting to buy a 42" LCD for a couple of months now, and along with the tosh, there's only one other; the LG 42LP1D. It also has two HD inputs and IMHO is much better looking than the WLT58.

Unfortunately I can find only a couple of comments or reviews on the LG and don't really want to spend £2500 on a TV I've never seen or read a review of. I think the 37LP1D is on display in Currys and from what I've seen of the LG's, they look very impressive.

It might be worth you keeping an eye out for one.

6. jugglerb

jugglerb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What did you think of the rest of the set - picture/build quality etc?
    Im ok with what ive seen of the looks of the tosh and I agree about the pointy bit on the samsung - definatly looks like a pc monitor.

7. jugglerb

jugglerb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Youve probably seen this... http://www.tomshardware.fr/articlemoniteur.php?IdArticle=916&NumPage=1

I cant read french though so have no idea what the conclusion is.
    Also the borders around the screen seem WAY to big.

8. APPRIA40WR

APPRIA40WR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I did see the LGs in Currys and they were also great looking. I didn't know they had a 42" LCD, so I'll check it out now. I really don't want to go over £2100 though.

The build on the Tosh is great of course. Problem is it's got almost the same colour as my 1999 37" Toshiba CRT. I saw the 37" at a friends and it looked just OK. When I went to Currys and they had the 32" on display in the cinema section next to the Pannys, LGs an especially the Samsungs it looked daft and as if they'd put it in the wrong section.

Saying all that, it's still at the top of my list but as I didn't get one when I wanted one a few weeks back my list isn't so important (especially as I was won over by the fab looking Samsungs).

9. jugglerb

jugglerb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well thats it then. No stock at buyyourav for this week - BUGGER.

Saying that buyyourav have been great about it completely honest cant fault em. (Well apart from me having to phone them all the time but hey...)