1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fed up of loose discs?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by popeye, Sep 13, 2003.

1. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if it's me thats been incredibilly unlucky recently but my last three dvd's that arrived through the post, all from different on line retailers have all come loose in thier cases and subsequently got scratched!

The lasted to arrive was my long awaited copy of Lawrence of Arabia Superbit. Guess what?, upon opening the case one of the discs had again come loose from the spindle and looked like it had been involved in a road traffic accident (Scratched to hell).

You would think by now that a case could be designed to stop this happening. Even if the discs were padded with a little bubble wrap which many people tend to use on this forum when trading/selling dvd's. It would be interesting to hear over peoples views who receive discs through the post to see what percentage of thier discs arrive loose & damaged.

Like most enthusiasts on this forum I take great care when handling my discs to insure they stay in pristine condition. but I get really pi**ed off when new discs arrive scratched & scuffed!
    From now on I've decided that if a dvd's rattles when I receive it I'll be sending it straight back and asking for a replacement.

popeye
    :mad:

2. obiwan

obiwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have to say thats never happened to me. I have had hundreds delivered too.

Maybe its the postie!!

But that would be a good idea to insert something to pad out the extra space in the case.

Best cases I have are the SuperBox Jewel cases used by columbia.

3. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The majority of the discs I receive are fine, but I have found that an odd one consistantly arrives loose. I've never had three in a row arrive loose and I must say the chances of it happening must be slim.
    Just to annoy me further I just tested my Lawrence of Arabia Superbit disc and it keeps sticking. Obviously the scratching has caused some real damge.
    I'm now in the position where I'll have to send th disc back and wait for a replacement which can take a few weeks, grrrrrrr!!!.
    :mad:

Why does it always happen to the discs that you most want to see? Typical!

BTW I take your point about the postie, but it's hard to blame an individual when the discs are sent half way round the world.

popeye

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    The only disc I have had that was loose came as a free? bonus disk it got scratched but the film was watch able unfortunately as it was a load of pants.

I once got a DVD through the post and there was a bit of fine bubble wrap over the spindle I thought it was a good idea.:smashin:

5. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I'm the only person with this problem the evidence is stacking up against the post man!

I'' have to get the boys to have a word!!!!!!

popeye:devil:

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    No you aren't the only one. A DVD I got this morning had come loose. It wasn't too badly scratched, but annoying none the less. :(

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Popeye i also get this but not all of the time, i received two disks this morning one was rattleing around but fortunately was not scratched the other was fine but was really stuck well to the spindle. With me it appears to be hit and miss, but fortunately i have not had one yet that has been too scratch to play.

8. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting to hear others have had problems. I was begining to think it was just me.
    I would agree with inzaman most discs even if they do come loose and have scratches on the surface will play just fine. Out of my collection of well over 400 discs I have only had two which wouldn't play due to accessive scratching. Still it's as annonoying as hell and even if they do play it makes you think will the damage have an adverse effect causing any deteriation with the disc or bring about disc rot? Who knows?

Surely packaging should be able to with stand a knock or two with out the discs popping loose. I know I'm going on about this but it really does annoy me when discs arrive in less than perfect condition.

popeye

9. hexxed

hexxed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi there,
    Same here, most are ok, but occasionally get the odd one thats rastered, usually if they're those thick scratches which look like grazing rather than hairline scratches a soft lintfree cloth will wipe them away, so worth a go. Kill your postie, i intend to do the same after some non dvd purchases have arrived in a right state.

Hexxed

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    I wouldn’t blame the postie too much I have picked up sealed boxes in shops and have her the disc rattling about inside.

11. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Most if not all of the R4 discs i have purchased do have a small bit a bubble wrap inside the case that actually holds the disk in place.
    Also like hexxed stated the large grazing on the disc does wipe off, but i do agree it is annoying and the disc must take some hammer whilst in transit rattling around like this :(

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any trader worth his salt puts bubble wrap inside the cases when posting DVDs out. As Garrett says, it keeps the DVD firmly on the spindle. Some on-line retailers, like EzyDVD do this as well (they actually use 3 or 4 small polystyrene pieces, which does the job just as well).

I have had a few 'shakers' throughout my time buying DVDs and it is annoying but in the vast majority of cases you can wipe them down and they play just fine.

I have had more problems with disks coming loose in digipacks. Here, the spindles tend to be tougher and more abrasive. For example, my Fawlty Towers R2 had to go back because one of the disks had come off the spindle, and an impression of it had been left on the disk (I guess because of the weight pressing down on the package while in transit). It wouldn't play when it got to that point - it just stuck and skipped along.

I have also had one DVD that came loose and got caught oddly in the Amaray case - so the centre plastic ring got slightly cracked. But it was only a surface crack and didn't penetrate through to the other side - so all was well and I didn't bother returning it back to Oz.

13. loz99

loz99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This has happened to me at least 1/2 dozen times, for some
    reason always with orders from dvdsoon and occasionally
    cdwow.
    The way the disks are fastened on the hub spindle inside
    the dvd case suggests that crushing has occurred in transit.

This is so annoying when you have to return the dvds to Canada
    or USA and have to wait ages on replacement to come back.

Sometimes I just tolerate the scratches if the movie plays ok.

Dvdsoon have not been very good over the last few months
    with damaged disks and missing orders, I'm waiting 4 months now on a particular order and despite many emails still ain't
    got it yet, money up in smoke!!

All last year Dvdsoon were ok with after sales service
    earlier this year they just seemed to become very sloppy.

CdWow are the complete opposite when it comes down
    to after sales service, they are brilliant!!

They've sent me replacements or refunds even before I send back
    the damaged or faulty dvds and they even sent pre-paid jiffy
    to return the damaged or faulty goods!! Great People!!

loz99

14. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "For example, my Fawlty Towers R2 had to go back because one of the disks had come off the spindle"

..had the same problem, with the same disc.....Play changed it , but agree, it is a pain.

15. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same supplier too - mine was also from Play :laugh:

16. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    Mmmmm the one I had faulty came from Play, it was one of those bad spindles that are split into 3 horizontal parts and one of the part was broken off.
    As Squirrel God says that disc with bubble wrap was a Reg4.

17. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mmmmmm......interesting, my latest disc, Lawrence of Arabia also came from Play. Maybe due the the volume of discs they post some crushing occurs and causes discs to pop out from the spindle.

I received a copy of Insomnia from Movietyme a couple of weeks ago and noticed that the case had a small piece of foam inside to secure the disc. This is an excelllent and cost effect way to insure that the discs are secure. This wont be anything new to people with experiencing trading/selling on this forum as this is pretty much common place. I wish all discs were packed this way.
    Maybe it will catch on with retailers as it must cost them a fair amount of money replacing damaged discs!
    It's good to hear that a few companies are aleady doing this as a matter of course.

popeye

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it's Play, it's R2 DVDs in general that are more prone to 'shaking'. See, if you compare a R2 with a R1 DVD, the shrinkwrap is a lot tighter on the R1 plus the R1 has all those security stickers keeping the case very firmly shut. R2 shrinkwrap is pants really - it's too loose to do a good job. The R1 retailers I use also put elastic band around the DVD cases when they ship me only one DVD in an order to make the case even more firmly shut (if there is more than one DVD in an order, then they fit more tightly in the packaging, which makes the elastic band redundant). I still get R1 shakers, but I have to say that out of all the R1 DVDs I have ever ordered (which must easily be around 400-500), only 3 or 4 have ever arrived with the disk off the spindle.

19. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    My troublesome one was a region 1 DVD but as it was a one off it could be just that, but it seems others are having trouble with Play is this on Reg1 or 2.
    Also the ones I heard loose in the shop were Reg 2.

20. Makaveli

Makaveli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Every dvd that has arrived loose (5 or 6) has come from play.
    No scratching on any though so it was grand.
    Although my Blade 2 dvd had a broken spindle. Couldnt be bothered returning it over that though.

21. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This happens a lot to me. The worst case was when I ordered the Rambo box set from the states. All three Film disks had become detached from the spindle and were too badly scratched to play. It cost £6 to send it back!

Dave

22. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I don't think it's Play (or any other reseller's) fault either. Surely thses disks arrive at Play's shipping warehouse already sealed? They must have no control over the disk packing? It must be down to the film's distribution company eg. Universal or Buena Vista, etc over what sort of packing case/disc clip is used.

Still no excuse to ship a disc which can more easily come loose. :mad:

23. DpM

DpM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    I have recently had 10 Jackie Chan films deliverd from CD-WOW and at least 4 of them are loose, have not tried them yet and they are still sealed, i think ill check em out when i get home tonight. Other than taht I get the odd one that is loose but have not had a problem yet (touch wood).

24. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally got my Lawrence of Arabia 'Superbit' replacement disc through this morning from PlayUSA, and I could hardly beleive my luck when I picked up the envelope. The packaging looked like it had been savaged by a large rabid dog. The envelope was covered in seletape covering various rips & tears and one of the seals was covered in Royal Mail tape seal stating ' FOUND OPEN OR DAMAGED AND OFFICIALLY SECURED'.

I opened the packaging full of dred and guess what?, the disc was all bashed in at all four corners. A total mess!!!!:mad:

I didn't even bother to open the shrink wrap I wasn't going to accept the disc in this condition! I have now emailed Play and told them after receiving two damaged discs I've had enough and I've requested a refund. I WILL NOT USE PLAY AGAIN!!!:thumbsdow

It appears I was never destined to receive this title, however I'm going to chance my luck and reorder it through another company.
    Hopefully third time luck.:rolleyes:

popeye:confused:

25. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funnily enough, the only sort of casing that I never had problems with was discs in snapper cases. I found the cardboard kept the discs more or less in place if they did come loose, as opposed to the vast amounts of space there is inside the Amaray cases for them to rattle about it in and damage themselves. For this reason, I preferred them.

*huge rumpus and melee as KRRK is stoned and chased away from the forums by an angry mob*

26. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not a big fan of the snapper like most, however your absolutely right, it's usually the amaray cases were the discs come loose! All that's needed is for manufactuers to pad out the empty space as already discussed on this thread and loose discs would hopefully become a thing of the past!

popeye

27. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you.

Unfortunately, with snappers, I have a problem with the teeth on the disk holder being smashed in transit instead :suicide: :rotfl:

28. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is true, often a disc arrived safely in the post in its little snapper box, only for me to open the case and have it fall on the floor and crack. Swings and roundabouts, I guess.