Fed up - MCE latest rollup

J

jon stallard

Guest
It's a feature of microsoft updates that you never know quite what to expect. You press the install button at your own peril it seems to me. For a company which includes the richest man in the world at it's helm, you'd think they'd be better at it than this.

Pre rollup: WinDVD 7 (or whatever the latest trial version is) and everything working OK.

Install the roll up followed by the update to the roll up (which is in it's self an indicator of things to follow) and the TV picture now features a very bad stutter.

Uninstalled the winDVD decoder last night, installed the latest version (trial) of Nvidia's 'masterpiece' of a decoder, updated to take into account the latest roll up.

Decoder error. Tried again, decoder error again.

This isn't good enough. I've not tried anything out of the ordinary, I've not downloaded anything illicit or indeed anything that is anything other than compatible with this latest rollup. I am sick to death of microsoft and the fact that a fundamental component to the workings of MCE (the decoder) is left to third parties to sort out.

As an antidote to this ineptness, I turned to my Mac mini. This too had a sizable update to the operating system only everything worked. No fuss, no having to get your credit card out to buy something that should already be there.

As a result, I'm now looking at going totally apple. The iMac G5 is a step in the right direction, good spec and for a stand alone machine, it's got most of what I want. If they only produced the hardware without the screen (so you can use your own) I'd order one right away.

Microsoft can poke their digital future up their digital arse.

Jon.
 

jimbob19

Active Member
I would suggest doing a system restore back to before the update !
Microsoft seriously baulked up with rollup2 , there have been so many issues with it . It makes you wonder if they even bothered to Beta test it properly first. Try the system restore , worked for me :smashin:
 
J

jonnyt2004

Guest
i have the (dis)pleasure of working in IT.

with mce, once its just built. just leave it alone - turn autoupdates off completely, just let it sit there - working away and doing its thing.

if you need to update it, do a google and search for something along the lines of 'mce update review' and see if anyone else is having problems.

yeah, mr gates keeps on about the way we'll all be having a one-stop-box for controlling everything, i hope this comes true, just not run by ms!

cheers,
jonathan
 

HiZ

Active Member
jon stallard said:
It's a feature of microsoft updates that you never know quite what to expect. You press the install button at your own peril it seems to me. For a company which includes the richest man in the world at it's helm, you'd think they'd be better at it than this.

Pre rollup: WinDVD 7 (or whatever the latest trial version is) and everything working OK.

Install the roll up followed by the update to the roll up (which is in it's self an indicator of things to follow) and the TV picture now features a very bad stutter.

Uninstalled the winDVD decoder last night, installed the latest version (trial) of Nvidia's 'masterpiece' of a decoder, updated to take into account the latest roll up.

Decoder error. Tried again, decoder error again.

This isn't good enough. I've not tried anything out of the ordinary, I've not downloaded anything illicit or indeed anything that is anything other than compatible with this latest rollup. I am sick to death of microsoft and the fact that a fundamental component to the workings of MCE (the decoder) is left to third parties to sort out.

As an antidote to this ineptness, I turned to my Mac mini. This too had a sizable update to the operating system only everything worked. No fuss, no having to get your credit card out to buy something that should already be there.

As a result, I'm now looking at going totally apple. The iMac G5 is a step in the right direction, good spec and for a stand alone machine, it's got most of what I want. If they only produced the hardware without the screen (so you can use your own) I'd order one right away.

Microsoft can poke their digital future up their digital arse.

Jon.
Have you installed the NVidia trial decoder once before, it will know the trial has expired. Also run Microsofts deccheck utility and ensure the NVidia decoder is set as the default.
 
J

jon stallard

Guest
HiZ said:
Have you installed the NVidia trial decoder once before, it will know the trial has expired.
Good point. I've installed two previous versions, the last one was while the nvidia site was not allowing anyone to buy so gave a 90 day free trial. That would be the most likely reason for the error. Would have been nice if a simple message popped up and told you mind.

So can I now buy from the nvidia site direct if outside America now does anyone know or do I have to buy from scan?

Ta,
Jon.
 

Rambles

Distinguished Member
jon stallard said:
So can I now buy from the nvidia site direct if outside America now does anyone know or do I have to buy from scan?

Ta,
Jon.
It seems that you can trick the system by putting in a fake US address/zip code but using your uk credit card.
 

windfall

Active Member
There you go Jon - MS may stiff ya but the guys on this board are there til the bitter end mate!
Dont give up on it, I have installed the rollup and apart from some codec issues (that Lisa sorted for me, gawd bless her) I am enjoying error free viewing with even the playback of my .TS files via media centre.
From my point of view its doing ok - he says touching his wood!

Tone
 

JonLeach

Active Member
Jon

i had to do the same thing but rolled back from my image of mce when i first set it up.

Due to windvd, 6.0 7.0 would not remove, power dvd codec i was using was not compatible with rollup2

Last night
8pm, start doing the ghost.
8:30 Reboot clean os. slighty wrong hardware
9:00 found creative drivers for audigy 2 ZS and installed updates from web.
9:30 installed rollup2 1.5 hours later. all installed and windows update post rollup2 complete.
At this point i thought i would go to bed but i had scheduled recordings setup for the night and checking it i had "no guide" data.
Reset guide and added channels.

DECODER ERROR

Nvidia trial lic installed still same fault, this was the only decoder installed.

Went to the us site and registered, used 92010 zip ca state. Beverley hills.

Got a activation code bout 30 mins later. worked great.
2.30am check tv great.

thought i would check DD DTS......NO CHANCE NO SPDIFPASSTHRU.
went to bed

Need to look into why its not passing DD and DTS i have done all the usual checked SPDIF on the Decoder under media player and in the soundcard.

its supposed to be a compatible card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRGGGHHHHH

Jon
 
J

jon stallard

Guest
Thanks for all your replies. Given that the only real problem (apart from that feeling of wanting to throw everything out of your pram when it doesn't do what you want it to!) is that I've got to get a pucker DVD decoder that will work with rollup 2? And is it correct that only the nvidia decoder (latest version) will work?

Have to say that the nvidia would be my preferred choice so I think I'll try the US address that Jon suggested. Phoned Scan and they want daft postage money just to send a CDrom, although they said it was the latest release. You know how someone tells you something over the phone and you think.... really? are you sure? Why am I not convinced? ......

Ta,
Jon.
 

JonLeach

Active Member
jon stallard said:
Thanks for all your replies. Given that the only real problem (apart from that feeling of wanting to throw everything out of your pram when it doesn't do what you want it to!) is that I've got to get a pucker DVD decoder that will work with rollup 2? And is it correct that only the nvidia decoder (latest version) will work?

Have to say that the nvidia would be my preferred choice so I think I'll try the US address that Jon suggested. Phoned Scan and they want daft postage money just to send a CDrom, although they said it was the latest release. You know how someone tells you something over the phone and you think.... really? are you sure? Why am I not convinced? ......

Ta,
Jon.
Jon FYI i used my address but the beverly hills 90210 not 92010 zip AND ca as the state.

if anyone can give us a hint on passthru can you let us know.
Glad i work on servers rather than MCE
its the old qoute. "if it aint broke dont fix it" i wanted the Radio stations wish i hadn't bothered now.
Jon
 
J

jon stallard

Guest
JonLeach said:
Jon FYI i used my address but the beverly hills 90210 not 92010 zip AND ca as the state.

if anyone can give us a hint on passthru can you let us know.
Glad i work on servers rather than MCE
its the old qoute. "if it aint broke dont fix it" i wanted the Radio stations wish i hadn't bothered now.
Jon
Thanks Jon, will give that a try.

Unfortunately for me, I've become an update addict. I'll update any old bit of software just for the hell of it. I think it's the feeling that you are getting something for nothing, which as we all know, doesn't exist (apart that is from the free advice on this forum:))

Cheers,
Jon.
 

Rambles

Distinguished Member
I don't understand why you are getting spdif playback problems. I have roll up 2, a creative usb2 card and the bronze version of nvidia codec - all set to spdif passthru and working ok. I do use the latest version of AC3 filter for AC3 codec playback and 5.1 sound in the WMApro5.1 codec, but without AC3 filter installed DVD playback of DTS and DD works fine.

It is possible that something has become corrupt in the installation and a format and clean install may fix it - but I don't expect you want to hear that :rolleyes:
 
Last edited:

iamlofi

Standard Member
Ditto . . i get the same problems

only stutters on certain channels e4 & e4+ 1, more 4 channel five . . .but the weirdest thing it does it worse on freinds (the program)

Looking for a solution other than a rebuild . . might try sys restore
 

JonLeach

Active Member
Hi Lisa,

I'm going to borrow a very similar spec pc we have at work to test a clean install on over the weekend. and your right i would rather be doing something usefull like decorationg perhaps or theres that knife on the kithchen table that my wrists feel strangley drawn to. :rolleyes:

I also had the same problem with my revo card i care to remember. the power dvd decoder worked no problem on both cards. so did the windvd decoder allthough there is the usual stop start on recorded TV, not good enough

Jon
 

stuartmc

Standard Member
We sell the Nvidia OEM Decoder. If you have this (the same as Scan sell) you can use your code to update to PureVideo Decoder from previous version. This only works for OEM versions and the link is pretty hard to find on the NVIDIA web site so for those that need it http://***********/e2rpd
 

JonLeach

Active Member
So what you are saying the retail version. Which I think I bought off the nvidia usa site does not have the pure video feature? I can't believe that I updated to 1.77 I think? Isn't that the compatible version with rollup2. MS do do me 'ed in
 

Rambles

Distinguished Member
So.... the latest version is 1.02-177. If you have previously purchased the nvidia dvd codec, you can uninstall it (the old version), download the new version from here use your existing name, email, last 4 numbers of credit card and activation code that you used to register before, and you get the upgrade.

If you have not already purchased it, download and install the trial version, when it expires - click on the link to purchase. If you are in the UK, use a fake US zip code and your UK credit card details and you will get the activation details you need.

As far as I am aware, once purchased you can use the same activation details on all future upgrades, has worked for me on the last three versions anyway... no need for cd roms or postage charges that I can see.
 
Last edited:

stuartmc

Standard Member
Sorry, what I was trying to say was if you have the OEM/Retail CD version bought from us, Scan or any other supplier for that matter you can't use the trial as an upgrade as your codes won't work. You must download and use the OEM version.

Hope that's clearer.
 

Ch0pper

Active Member
They do work.. You just have to enter the details they sent you, even though it's asking for other information.. Ignore what it's asking for and fill it out like you do on a fresh install off your CD.
 
J

jon stallard

Guest
stuartmc said:
We sell the Nvidia OEM Decoder.
Appreciate you mentioning this Stuart. so can I ask you why can't I just download the software and pay for it online? I'd be delighted to purchase it from your website for example.

I just don't want to receive a CD. If it needs a signature, then I have to wait until Saturday morning to go and collect it from the local sorting office, show the postie my passport where he'll make the same joke about how long ago was that taken (arf arf)..... after queuing up behind an assortment of newly landed eastern Europeans who have neither proof of identity, an address or even the ability to speak in pidgeon English ..... and the former postie mate who insists on catching up on the last 10 or so years of postal service on the other side of the wire cage......... and so on.

I'm really perplexed how a corporation (a corporation no less) like nVidia appears to be the class leader yet it's so difficult to buy their software online unless you want it free ... but only for 30 days. OR even worse in my book, actually have to give fraudulent credit card details in order to obtain it (OK, I know that's stretching things but that's what it amounts to).

Isn't this a salesmans dream? For the customer to have fully tested the product and arrive at the shop with pockets bulging full of cash to eagerly buy? Only to find that the shop is shut. Permanently!

Winge, winge, winge :)

Not a pop at you by the way Stuart, just my frustration boiling over.
 

fraggle

Active Member
I had fun installing Rollup 2.

In the end I found a number of things were stopping it all working.

Power DVD needs to be uninstalled completely. (incompatible with MCE & nvidia decoders)
Uninstall .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903 and/or KB886904)
Uninstall .NET Framework 1.1

Goto MS update site and download and install .NET Framework 1.1, reboot, goto MS update site again and get .NET Framework 1.1 SP 1 (Hotfix KB886903)

(I found I needed to do this cause .NET 1.1 and 1.0 had gotten mixed up and 1.1 commands were not working, causing Rollup 2 install to fail)

Install Rollup2

Have a look at the log file in C:\Windows and see if it installed OK.

If all is OK, install the update to Rollup2.

Install the latest NVidia Puredecoder.

Run MCE and rescan channels, and redownload guide.

Should all be working then? :)
 
S

Spikeydog

Guest
Fraggle - did you get a jerky picture - kind of freezing for a second then catching up with itself? - I have had to go back to a restore point to correct it - but now have lost the freeview radio channels which is what I loaded rollup 2 for.

I'll try you're procedure this evening and report back.

John.
 
S

Spikeydog

Guest
I followed Fraggles procedure exactly (except putting a re-boot between every step). The picture jerkiness/freezing went away but the menus started working really slowly and the tv signal was reported as lost every now and again (I missed 3 scheduled recordings due to this).

I have now given up on rollup 2 and will sit it out until a decent and stable upgrade comes along.
 

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
CTA launches 8K UHD TV display certification programme
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Huawei launches Google-less Mate 30 and Mate 30 Pro phones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Latest threads

Top Bottom