• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Fed Up !! House sale fallen through with only 13 days to exchange.

cutes6

I am absolutely furious about this situation, there are five of us in the chain and the first time buyers have pulled out with only 13 days to go to exchange :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I am talking to my solicitors in the morning to see if I can recover some of my expenses which at this stage are quite large. It's alright for the people at the beginning who have pulled out as their costs will be much less than ours, if there is nothing I can do then the rules absolutely stink in England, I believe it is different in Scotland.

We have not been given an explanation at all just that they have pulled out, utterly ridiculous, its been 6 hours since we found out and I still can't calm down.............

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
cutes6 said:
I am absolutely furious about this situation, there are five of us in the chain and the first time buyers have pulled out with only 13 days to go to exchange :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I am talking to my solicitors in the morning to see if I can recover some of my expenses which at this stage are quite large. It's alright for the people at the beginning who have pulled out as their costs will be much less than ours, if there is nothing I can do then the rules absolutely stink in England, I believe it is different in Scotland.

We have not been given an explanation at all just that they have pulled out, utterly ridiculous, its been 6 hours since we found out and I still can't calm down.............

Unfortunately, until exchange (of contracts), nothing is legally binding and no costs have to be met by anyone.

It happened to us a few years ago. We shook hands with the owner and proceeded as you do (spending about £750 along the way), until he suddenly gets an offer £20,000 above ours which he takes.

He told our solicitor he would refund the £750 we had laid out as he felt bad, but what we actually got was a cheque for £500.

Nice, you get an extra £20,000 and you stiff us for £250.

What a ****.

cutes6

Not knowing what the issue is with the people first in the chain is very fustrating. If it was down to say a £5k problem then I would be prepared to contribute if everyone else does in the chain to resolve the issue and keep it all going.

I will have to see if the estate agents can find out the truth and see if there is a solution.

They say moving house is very stressful and the rules don't help !!

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
cutes6 said:
Not knowing what the issue is with the people first in the chain is very fustrating. If it was down to say a £5k problem then I would be prepared to contribute if everyone else does in the chain to resolve the issue and keep it all going.

I will have to see if the estate agents can find out the truth and see if there is a solution.

They say moving house is very stressful and the rules don't help !!

That's exactly what you should do, as it may be possible for "the chain" to help the people at the bottom if they've pulled out for a few thousands pounds, doing as you've described.

It may also be that there's a bigger reason, such as a loss of a job etc, but actually pulling out is quite a strong move IMO, as most folk that want a cash reduction will make noises to that effect through their estate agent earlier in the process.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
I once found out that a vendor had withdrawn as I was sitting in my solicitor's office, about to hand over the exchange deposit. :(

cutes6

WOW - Not sure how I would deal with that !!!

redboy1

Unfortunately, until exchange (of contracts), nothing is legally binding and no costs have to be met by anyone.

It happened to us a few years ago. We shook hands with the owner and proceeded as you do (spending about £750 along the way), until he suddenly gets an offer £20,000 above ours which he takes.

He told our solicitor he would refund the £750 we had laid out as he felt bad, but what we actually got was a cheque for £500.

Nice, you get an extra £20,000 and you stiff us for £250.

What a ****.

I think you did well, atleast you got 500 back.

The same happened to us and we got squat back. I was fuming and threatened to take them to court to get our expenses back but I knew we didn't have a leg to stand on.:mad:

In the end it was a blessing as we got a lot better house which we love.

The whole system absolutely stinks though, we were on tender hooks right up until we signed the contract. I made sure the estate agent took the house off the market straight away and asked the people in the house if I could rip the for sale/sold sign down in the garden to which they let me.
I was also on at the solicitors every day to hurry it through. :devil:

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
I cannot offer any advice but I feel your pain and hope you get something sorted soon.

Moving home is so stressful and this has just added to that.

All the best !

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
We got pulled out on when we were buying our first house and lost nearly 1k which was loads to us back then.

Thankfully in our naivety our mortgage broker had talked us into taking some kind of dodgy insurance to conver such an eventuality and we got all the money back.

Hitby

We had our vans packed and the house emptied and cleaned when the utter ***** that were buying ours pulled out. In fact, they just never turned up and I'll never listen to a solicitor again saying it's ok to complete and exchange on the same day.

D

Deleted member 63670

Happened to us in the summer of 07, the day before we were due to exchange contracts and the buyer pulled out which thoroughly annoyed the hell out of me, we had planned to move the following week and had most stuff packed already, then had to put the house back on the market and get it looking nice again instead of full of boxes.

It is very annoying and I agree the law needs to be changed with this kind of thing happening. Luckily for us though it all worked aout well as we have a much larger house now and we would never have managed in that other place with our boys disability, although I had planned a rather nice home theatre in the cellar which would have been superb.

I think alot of the issues come from estate agents themselves, I really hate them, they act so up themselves and are the most 2 faced people, they would do anything if it suits their position, scum of the earth.

shahedz

Distinguished Member
I don't always think its the agent, why would you risk a sure sale for another, even an increase offer of £20k would only mean £200 to an agent. If i was an agent i wouldn't risk losing a sale that had been agreed, would much rather move on and work on the next deal.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
I think alot of the issues come from estate agents themselves, I really hate them, they act so up themselves and are the most 2 faced people, they would do anything if it suits their position, scum of the earth.

Whilst they are not the most cherished of professions, it is in their interest to have the chains complete, as that's the only point at which they get to trouser all their loot - I can't think of a reason they'd want a sale to fail.

If/when we move again, a house with no onward chain will be a high priority, and if possible, detatching the sell and the buy.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
I saw a news item about the government decing not to have a qualification scheme for estate agents even though their trade association has been asking for it.
Not all are bad.

hutch

Distinguished Member
The UK system is a joke and it desperately needs changing, feel for you.

MikeP1

If your able to try and find out if someone in the chain is buying a new build. I've heard of developers using there part-exchange program to ensure the chain doesn't collapse (i.e. they buy the house in the chain which has collapsed).

Unfortunately without knowing there reason it's hard to know how legitimate there issue is and if it was unforeseeable.

Hope it comes good.

cutes6

Well it turns out the the people at the bottom of the chain asked for a £2k reduction in price last Friday and the sellers agreed so all was OK. Then on Monday at about 2pm the first timers rang and said they were not going ahead anymore and that was that !!

The Estate Agents claim to have tried everything even more money off to keep it going but no joy.

I feel for the sellers as they are school teachers with a family who have got new jobs in York, they now have to find somewhere to rent as the new term starts in about 8 weeks !!! - Expensive

Apparently their house is a good house in a good area next to one of the best schools in Surrey somewhere so the agents are very confident it will sell again.

So as someone else mentioned we are now getting things out of boxes to make our house presentable again, I have even got a bed to put back together.

Oh and we remembered that my wife had also handed her notice in at a part time job but thankfully they had not found a replacement and they have agreed to extend the notice period to the end of August as clearly they now know we are going to move as soon as we sell.

Its all unbelievable really but I am calming down as time goes on.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
hutch said:
The UK system is a joke and it desperately needs changing, feel for you.

Er, don't include Scotland in this, our system doesn't allow this or any form of 'gazumping' to happen.
It's not all roses though, as we operate a stupid 'offers over' system.
The best of all worlds would be English style house pricing combined with Scottish protection.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
FZR400RRSP said:
Er, don't include Scotland in this, our system doesn't allow this or any form of 'gazumping' to happen.
The best of all worlds would be English style house pricing combined with Scottish protection.
We've had that stupid offers over system here in Sudbury, Suffolk for at least a year, it's ridiculous.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
FZR400RRSP said:

Even better would be a 'united kingdom' so we were all on the same page of the hymn sheet , anyhoo , we were within 2 weeks of moving and our buyer wanted us to come forward a week !!!!! , cue the Benny Hill music :lol:

cutes6

Even better would be a 'united kingdom' so we were all on the same page of the hymn sheet , anyhoo , we were within 2 weeks of moving and our buyer wanted us to come forward a week !!!!! , cue the Benny Hill music :lol:

Very Very funny, like that

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Robothamster said:
We've had that stupid offers over system here in Sudbury, Suffolk for at least a year, it's ridiculous.

Oh dear, that combined with gazumping really is the poopy end of the stick... :-(
Incidentally, the predictive function on my iPhone changed 'gazumping' to 'hazy moving'
Spooky. :)

cutes6

Well this house buying and selling lark is certainly no good for my health.

The chain is back on again as the estate agents have sold the house that the people pulled out of again already :clap::clap::clap:

Fingers crossed again as the completion will be around the end of August - next problem is the removal company whilst happy are saying they are very busy around that time and depending on date might not be able to do it - one thing after another.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
cutes6 said:
Well this house buying and selling lark is certainly no good for my health.

The chain is back on again as the estate agents have sold the house that the people pulled out of again already :clap::clap::clap:

Fingers crossed again as the completion will be around the end of August - next problem is the removal company whilst happy are saying they are very busy around that time and depending on date might not be able to do it - one thing after another.

Good to hear. :thumbsup:

Re removal firms, there's plenty of them out there, don't worry about one that won't commit-vote with your wallet. ;-)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom