• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Fed EX- customs charge advice please!

kutsanagi

Hi everyone,

This is probably go out to all those wonderful people who use sideshow/bigbadtoystore for their awesome figure collections!

I've recently purchased a guyver bust from bigbadtoystore, everything has been amazing so far, the payment, the delivery and the communications .

I later received a tax/duty invoice from Fed Ex, which I was expecting, but they've put on their calculation form that I paid 181.94 in GBP for freight/delivery, when in actual fact I paid 81.00usd!!

This has increased my duty/tax invoice somewhat considerably.

May I ask, the total that is chargeable for customs should be what I paid for the item (299.99) and 81.00 (usd) delivery charge right? I'm only concerned because I've used the exchange rate they have and my shipping comes to 62 GBP not the 181.94 they are quoting.

I've sent the proof of purchase to them, but the email I've sent to theme seems to have received a generic response (as opposed someone actually reading my email and seeing the attached proof of purchase).

I clearly don't mind paying the customs charges etc, but I do have a problem with it being calculated on something which I've not paid!

Any advice, experience or suggestions would be truly appreciated!

Thanks for your time everyone.

Kind regards,

Kutsanagi.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Who have you complained to?

It should be to HMRC. Provide evidence of what you paid for the item, include both the price paid for the product and the price paid for the shipping. Also include the statement/invoice for the calculated import taxes and duty, stating that you think you have been overcharged and asking for a recalculation.

HMRC should not be able to give you a generic response.

As the item is over £135 then you need to pay VAT and duty. VAT is easy, it is 20% of the total which in your case is $380 so $76 in VAT. Duty is more difficult because there are different rates depending on the item. But wet finger in the air, say 3%, so $12.

So tax and duty should be around the $88 mark.

On top of that Fed-Ex will add their fee but that is nothing to do with HMRC and would probably be the same even if HMRC adjust their charges.

But talking to Fed-Ex is pointless - they have an official bill from HMRC so they can’t do anything about that, you have to query it with HMRC.

Cheers,

Nigel

SDMDAM

Distinguished Member
Has Fed-Ex billed you for everything including import taxes? Chances are they have cleared it through their accelerated clearance process and have charged you Customs duty, import VAT, freight and likely "other charges" do you have a full breakdown from Fed-Ex?

nheather

Distinguished Member
Has Fed-Ex billed you for everything including import taxes? Chances are they have cleared it through their accelerated clearance process and have charged you Customs duty, import VAT, freight and likely "other charges" do you have a full breakdown from Fed-Ex?

Agreed, your charge from Fed-Ex should be made up of

VAT (charged by HMRC)
Duty (charged by HMRC) - note this should be applicable for items over £135 but isn’t always charged. Also if charged the rate used depends on the product type.
Admin Fee (charged by Fed-Ex). This is a fee they add for handling the customs payment on your behalf. Amount varies by courier.

So as a rough estimate I would expect the invoice to be

Shipped value - $380 = £291
VAT = £58.20
Duty = £8.75
Admin Fee = £15 (guess)

TOTAL = £81.95

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

kutsanagi

@nheather and @SDMDAM - this is the exact reason I use these forums. Thank you so much.

The breakdown reads like this:

The build-up is:

Freight Charges GBP 181.51 (this is my main point of contention)

Invoice Total USD 299.99.

VAT Value - 411.50 which is made up of (299.99/1.3062) + 181.51+ 0.33 (VAT value adjustment??) so that where they get the VAT @ 82.30.

But actually using the values of what is evidenced in the document should be:

VAT Value - which is made up of ((299.99+81.99)/1.3062) + 0.33 (VAT value adjustment??) so should get the VAT @ 58.49.

I'm considering their fee as unimportant as it's a standard charge.

Please don't think I am being frugal here, SWMBO will tell you that I really couldn't care less about money; it's there to be spent and enjoy things, we only live once. It's just the principle of the matter.

Thank as always for your time,

Regards,

Kutsanagi

SDMDAM

Distinguished Member
The US $ amount will be converted first as UK revenue is charged on a GB£ value so that is why the $299 has been divided by the current fx rate. To that you would add the freight costs to get to the Customs value. VAT value adjustment is the UK freight cost (or the UK element of the total freight cost) as UK freight is not liable to Customs duty. Looks like you are only being charged the import VAT and not Customs duty.

Based on what you have said I think your query is with Fed-Ex rather than HMRC as it is Fed-Ex who has added the wrong freight costs.

nheather

Distinguished Member
The US $ amount will be converted first as UK revenue is charged on a GB£ value so that is why the $299 has been divided by the current fx rate. To that you would add the freight costs to get to the Customs value. VAT value adjustment is the UK freight cost (or the UK element of the total freight cost) as UK freight is not liable to Customs duty. Looks like you are only being charged the import VAT and not Customs duty.

Based on what you have said I think your query is with Fed-Ex rather than HMRC as it is Fed-Ex who has added the wrong freight costs.

Possibly, I guess you can try them first. If it is Fed-Ex that provided the shipping cost to HMRC then they got it wrong.

Have you got the item already - it is common for couriers to deliver the item and then send the invoice in the post a few days later.

If you have the item then simply reply to Fed-Ex saying that you are not willing to pay the current invoice as it is calculated incorrectly having used the incorrect shipping cost. Ask them to send a corrected invoice which you will pay.

If they have not delivered the goods it becomes harder because they they have the upper hand - won’t deliver until paid. But the process shoukd still be the same, just that they will be less co-operative.

Cheers,

Nigel

kutsanagi

thanks @nheather and @SDMDAM

I do have the item in hand, and I have stated that I won't pay the current invoice until this has been looked into appropriately and amended.

Thank you for both your help so far, I will continue to update the thread when I know more news!

Have a great day guys!

SDMDAM

Distinguished Member
thanks @nheather and @SDMDAM

I do have the item in hand, and I have stated that I won't pay the current invoice until this has been looked into appropriately and amended.

Thank you for both your help so far, I will continue to update the thread when I know more news!

Have a great day guys!

Did you get anywhere with this?

kutsanagi

Hi @SDMDAM

Actually no. I've sent an additional two email with no response.

I intend to ring them today.

I'll keep you posted!

nheather

Distinguished Member
Hi @SDMDAM

Actually no. I've sent an additional two email with no response.

I intend to ring them today.

I'll keep you posted!

So have Fed-Ex not been chasing you for payment. You have the goods, you've not paid them. You have written explaining the situation. The ball is in their court, so you could sit back and wait for them.

The only thing you could add is to write a real letter (signed-for) so they can't claim non-receipt. Problem with email is they often go through to a general inbox and don't always find their way to the right department.

Cheers,

Nigel

kutsanagi

So have Fed-Ex not been chasing you for payment. You have the goods, you've not paid them. You have written explaining the situation. The ball is in their court, so you could sit back and wait for them.

The only thing you could add is to write a real letter (signed-for) so they can't claim non-receipt. Problem with email is they often go through to a general inbox and don't always find their way to the right department.

Cheers,

Nigel

According to the emails the collection of payment is on hold whilst they deal with the enquiry.

I've had no follow up my emails. I shall call them today, if it's not resolved, I'll be sending a letter with all evidence - including the lack of responses from their side .

Thanks as always.

nheather

Distinguished Member
According to the emails the collection of payment is on hold whilst they deal with the enquiry.

I've had no follow up my emails. I shall call them today, if it's not resolved, I'll be sending a letter with all evidence - including the lack of responses from their side .

Thanks as always.

Don't sweat then. They are dealing with it, relax and let them do the chasing around.

If they acknowledge the mistake, and it sounds pretty clear cut, they need to go back to HMRC to resolve if they want money that they have paid refunded or they might decide to write it off. But that decision/activity might take some time - but that isn't your problem.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

kutsanagi

@nheather

I should see you for advice more often!

Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom