Febrile convulsions in young children

Discussion in 'Parents Forum' started by wack, Jan 30, 2014.

1. wack

wack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +832
    There's a lot of younger members on this forum so I thought it appropriate to post this as I just found it on my hard drive from 2002

My daughter had a febrile convulsion , I'd never heard of it

She's now a stroppy 13 year old :D

This is what I wrote on another forum in 2002

:REMOVED BY MOD.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2014
  2. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46,586
    Thanks for the heads up. That link was inappropriate though, so I have removed it. And I'm not sure you should be posting 12 year old advice either, also deleted.

This is the current NHS advice:

Febrile seizures - NHS Choices

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  3. wack

wack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +832
    Ok thanks, didn't even think about that doh

4. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,238
    Wish I'd read this previously...

My son got his 1 year immunisations on Tuesday and been a bit under the weather, really spiking temps Friday night and during the day Saturday, he was in good form yesterday at his sisters birthday party but at night was really hot to touch and had stayed shivering too. After his bath he was a bit better but was sick after his milk feed so brought him downstairs again for an hour and a half before attempting need again, he was bright as you like, full of fun and games. Put him in bed and he settled quickly but started doing 10 second cries out every couple of minutes, went up to give him calpol and he was roasting so stripped him off, gave him medicine, cuddle and popped him back into bed. He was breathing really weirdly and sounding choked with the cold so me and the Mrs just stood watching him for a minute or so. We noticed him pulsing so picked him up after a few seconds and he was totally limp except when a pulse came, then he was rock solid and stretched out, this went on for a minute or so, we had no idea what was happening so.called an ambulance, he stopped breathing at one point so I had him upside down and was trying to get my finger in his mouth to ensure there was no blockages etc. Thankfully he started shallow breathing by time ambulance arrived but honestly thought he was a goner, he was just limp and lifeless in my arms for what seemed like a lifetime . Thankfully it was just febrile convulsions but scared me sh*tless, if you've got a young one please read up on febrile convulsions and be aware of what can happen if they're feverish, I might not have felt the world fall away from under my feet if I'd have the knowledge.

Take care

5. Sanders79

Sanders79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,020
    Read your post on the footy forum earlier today, glad the little one's ok and it was "only" febrile convulsions.

We had a similar experience with our daughter a couple of years ago, although nothing like as scary. She just went blank, 100-mile stare and totally unresponsive. She had a virus at the time and her temp was up and down because of that, the doctor we saw said it was all related and the FCs are really very common.

Kids really do their best to terrify mums and dads at every opportunity!

6. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,238
    I'm not sure if it's ever really something that goes away :) in other news my daughter (3) came home from nursery the other day saying she'd made a new friend 'Kyle'... oh aye, a boy eh... Hmmmm where's the shotgun/baseball bat :D

7. Sanders79

Sanders79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,020
    The febrile convulsions thing... considering it's fairly common (about 5% of children will have an episode?) I'm surprised there isn't more education and awareness about it. Most parents we know have had it with at least one child and it really can be terrifying.

This Kyle fella sounds like bad news! ;) I've said all along that my daughter can have boyfriends but only when she turns 37 and if the potential suitor can pass my interview/application process.

8. Sanders79

Sanders79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,020
    Oh and my daughter told me once that she will marry me when she's older, so that takes care of that!

9. richardb70

richardb70
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,458
    Yeah, our eldest daughter (now nearly 5) had a very alarming episode in a hot car last summer. She was chatting away one moment, the next she went completely pale. Got her out of the car and she was completely unresponsive, couldn't stand up, staring over my shoulder, shaking a little and not reacting when I clicked my fingers in front of her eyes.

Got an ambulance out to meet us down the road, they tried to take some blood but was coming out too slowly. She wasn't responding quickly enough either. Blue lights on, wife got in the ambulance, I followed at a saner pace. Got to the hospital, she was sitting up in bed smiling away and eating a sandwich. Never been so relieved in my life. They had no idea what had caused it - they ruled out dehydration - and nothing's happened since.

10. Sanders79

Sanders79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,020
    It's a very strange phenomenon. The cause/mechanism isn't really understood if I recall correctly, but there seems to be a strong link... hence children with a fever and the situation you just described. One doctor I spoke to once said it's as if the child's brain gets overloaded and needs to reset itself, quite a good description.