Feb'09 Update Details ...

BT@HOME

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Criterion details of patch

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here are the full details of the FREE pack we're releasing on 6th Feb. Look out for this week's Crash TV. The team are on hand to talk through all these changes.

The release of this free pack co-incides with the release of our first paid-for pack (Burnout Paradise Party Pack), which will also be available on the 6th from our sparkling new in-game store.

But, if you're not ready to splash the cash just yet, here's the definitive list of everything that's just been added to the game for FREE.

We can't resist improving Burnout Paradise.

In-Game Browser Site (PC and PS3-only)

The first change PS3 and PC-players will notice is that we're now using an in-game browser to bring you something we're calling the Criterion Games Network. More on this next week! (Players on all platforms can enjoy the rest of the features listed on this page.)

In-Game Store

The next major addition is our in-game store. You'll be able to easily buy new content, like the Party Pack, without leaving the comfort of Burnout Paradise. Just head for either the Main Menu or the Easydrive Menu. We'll add the Legendary Cars, Boost Specials, Toy Cars, Island and more (!), as they become available.

Burnout Paradise In-Game Store

Vehicle dynamics overhaul

The vehicle handling has undergone it's most substantial overhaul since Burnout Paradise was first released. We've tweaked the handling on the first available cars, like the Hunter Cavalry, to make the game easier and more accessible.

Hunter Cavalry

These cars are now slower, harder to crash and less likely to spin out at low speeds. This'll help any newcomers get into the game, but it also delivers greater variety between the early cars to the faster, more challenging later ones.

Burnout Paradise – easy to play but hard to master!

We've changed the way we display the performance of the cars in the junkyard. You can now easily compare cars and see that with the rebalanced handling, they're more varied across the whole range. Again, we're aiming for a more fun and accessible experience. And on the subject of the junkyard, you can now filter what you see there. Pick between cars or bikes and when our Legendary Cars, Toy Cars and Boost Specials arrive in the near future they'll also be easier to pick out.

Stunt Run Timer Reinvented

Fans of Stunt Run will now appreciate that the countdown timer now starts to count down more slowly. If you've never played before, it'll be easier to pick up. For experts, it'll counts down faster depending on how many multipliers you've earned.

It's just one of a stack of minor changes designed to rebalance and tweak the game for your enjoyment.

Rebalanced Events

Burnout Paradise Events

We've modified the difficulty of all events. The speeds of the rival cars and Burning Route times have been changed to accommodate new car speeds.

Road Rage Tweaked

We've changed the way the timer works in Road Rage– you no longer get time added when you've hit the target number of cars. This means the game has a clearer end point and restricts crazy scores to later Road Rages, making it more challenging for experts – see if you can reach 100+ now! It's been streamlined.

Road Rage

Vibrant Visuals

Paradise City is filled with a whole world of objects waiting to be discovered. We wanted to make it a little easier to spot them, so we've modified the colours of the Billboards (red) and Smashes (yellow) and Super Jumps (blue). They also now pulse for added visibility.

Road Rage

We've also overhauled the lighting to bring you more vibrant visuals. We wanted to make it easier to see at night and give everything a more vibrant feel with brighter, more saturated Burnout color.

Restart is in

You ask – we deliver. Restart is in! You can now quit or fail an event and choose to restart it.

Restart

You'll be transferred to the start location ready for action. We've always enjoyed the feeling of freedom that Paradise City's open world delivers, but we appreciate that as you run low on events towards the end of the game, you can spend a little too long in transit.

Barrel Rolls for Beginners

And last but not least, we've transformed the way barrel rolls work in Burnout Paradise. Hit a split-ramp and barrel rolls now automatically right themselves. It means new players can pull off flash moves immediately, but nothing changes for all you experts out there. You can still risk multiple rolls by pushing the right stick in the direction of the roll.

That's all folks

To get this FREE update, just play take Burnout Paradise online anytime on or after 6th February.

This update does not include the Party Pack, which is our first ever paid-for content - a premium pack that turns Burnout Paradise into a fun party game for when you've got your friends round and you all want to play on the same TV. Party will also be available on 5th February.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Red and Green are my highlights. Personally I can see the restart being useful, but some of the others seem to be dumbing down the game. Making Barrel rolls automatic particularly seems a bad idea.

Also the details of the new trophies has been announced too.....
PS3FanBoy Link for trophies

Silver Trophies

Every player succeeds in every Party Game
Awarded upon completing a Party in which every player successfully completes every Game of every Round.
Complete a Small Party
Awarded when 2-4 players have completed a Party.
Complete a Big Party
Awarded when 5-7 players have completed a Party.
Complete a Massive Party
Awarded when 8 players have completed an 8 Round Party.
Survive a Marked Man in the Extreme Hot Rod
Awarded for winning any Offline Marked Man driving the Extreme Hot Rod

Complete a Timed Challenge using all 3 Boost types in the Hawker Mech
Awarded when you complete any Timed Challenge driving the Hawker Mech having used all 3 boost types
Win a Race in a Toy Car
Awarded for winning any Offline Race driving any of the Toy Cars
Complete a Bike Timed Challenge using the Toy Bike
Awarded when you complete any Timed Challenge using the Toy Bike

Bronze Trophies

Every player succeeds in a Party Round
Awarded when every player successfully completes a Party Round.
Complete your 1st Party Round
Awarded when you complete the 1st Round of your 1st Party.
Every player take a photo for a Party
Awarded when every player in a Party takes a photo of themselves. Requires a USB camera to be connected.

Win a Stunt Run in the P12 88 Special
Awarded for winning any Offline Stunt Run driving the P12 88 Special
Light up the Manhattan Spirit during an Online Challenge
Awarded for using the flashing lights of the Manhattan Spirit during an Online Freeburn Challenge or Timed Challenge
Score a Boost Chain of x3 in the GT Nighthawk
Awarded for achieving a Boost Chain of x3 driving the GT Nighhawk
Sound the horn on a Silver Lake Super Jump in the Cavalry Bootlegger
Awarded for sounding the horn and successfully landing a Super Jump in Silver Lake driving the Cavalry Bootlegger
Barrel Roll a Toy Car in the Airfield
Awarded for successfully landing a Barrel Roll in the Airfield driving any of the Toy Cars

Last edited:
interesting..... but as one of the easiest burnout games I've played it seems a bit odd that they've gone to such great lengths to make it even easier....

I'll admit its been my sole reason for visiting and wanted to see how the hardcore community were taking the changes.

I'm still ****** off that I'm not going to get a trophy for the Elite Licence or all the Awards.

Burnout 2 on the original Gamecube, happy days.

I think that is a brilliant update. Not being able to restart an event annoyed me SO much. This will come in very useful and save so much time.

However, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add an option to customise the controls. I HATE using R2 to accelerate. I want to use X!!!

I cannot wait for this update. I don't think I've given Burnout Paradise enough of my time but that'll change when this update comes out (or when I get bored of Killzone :D) I only have a few cars and haven't crashed many billboards or gates so the more vibrant colours and pulses will help me find them.

"Vibrant Visuals
Paradise City is filled with a whole world of objects waiting to be discovered. We wanted to make it a little easier to spot them, so we've modified the colours of the Billboards (red) and Smashes (yellow) and Super Jumps (blue). They also now pulse for added visibility.
"

Having just viewed the latest episode of CrashTV and seen these in game, I can honestly say they look . . . . . Absolute ####!
I loved the way Paradise City currently looks, all the pastel colours used for the buildings, roads and surroundings, and the way the Billboards, smashes and superjumps blend in and become part of the scenery, making them a little bit of a challenge to find them all.
The so called 'Improvement' to the smashes isn't 'that' bad I suppose, although there's nothing wrong with the current smash. The 'Improvement' to the Superjumps again isn't 'too' bad although I honestly don't see that there was anything wrong with the old version. The Billboard on the otherhand :eek: What have they done!!! You could spot that from the otherside of the map, through fog, if you were 90% blind. They stand out FAR too much in my opinion, it's now impossible to miss them infact, and I think they actually make the game look worse, as they look so much like an after thought that simply hasn't been thought about. That for me is the biggest :thumbsdow of the whole update :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, big bright red billboard, rather than something that actually looked like a billboard ... I always thought the whole point of it was to "search" for the billboards, now you won't be able to miss them.

I always thought the whole point of it was to "search" for the billboards, now you won't be able to miss them.

My point exactly 'BT@HOME', it's taking away the challenge of searching for the billboards, and the smashes and superjumps for that matter. I really am quite dissappointed :(

It does appear to be a dumbing down of the game (the barrel rolls is the one that really disappoints ... I really hope that single rolls are not completely automatic).

The reasoning is to make it easier for new players to get into the game ... well the game is so huge I can't see why they needed to introduce these cosmetic/less skill changes. I played the game offline until I built up a few cars, and a few license increases, then moved to online for the challenges too. After going up a few licenses (lets face it getting 3 takedowns in road rage is not hard). You get better the more you play. getting x40 multiplier in stunt run was not incredibly hard just finding the right place to start the run was important .. and knowing that a tap on the boost will keep the combo running. getting the Krieger marked man is beginning to be my nemesis and If they have made it easier in any way in the new update then I will be angry (I want to complete this damn thing at the original level not on an easier version).

One good thing ... the brightening up of the night mode is nice :)

One good thing ... the brightening up of the night mode is nice :)

Too right.. That's the bit that used to frustrate me! No longer will I have to muck about with the brightness settings!! :clap:

I think once the patch is here I'll be trying for my elite licence again thanks to restarts!

What the hell?

Barrell Rolls now right themselves? Excuse me? You actually now have to actively push the stick to roll more? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? :mad:

Oh great. We may as well make the cars drive automatically and do all the challenges themselves. Jesus! :thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

BPtimesaverspack.jpg

Does this update suggest you can buy all the cars? Even though I'm early on in the game I want to earn all the cars fairly and squarely. This is just for lazy people.:mad:

Does this update suggest you can buy all the cars? Even though I'm early on in the game I want to earn all the cars fairly and squarely. This is just for lazy people.:mad:

It looks like Sony are gonna be doing this more and more. They've already done this with Skate 2 - you can pay £3.19 to unlock everything.
Surely this whole scheme defeats the point of buying a game.

It looks like Sony are gonna be doing this more and more. They've already done this with Skate 2 - you can pay £3.19 to unlock everything.
Surely this whole scheme defeats the point of buying a game.

Sony? How are they responsible. Every time someone has something negative to say and need the finger pointed they get brought into the discussion.

EA are charging for weapon upgrades in Dead Space to help you beat the game. EA publish Burnout. Guess who own Skate franchise, thats right Electronic Arts.

They're all multplatform games.

What the hell?

Barrell Rolls now right themselves? Excuse me? You actually now have to actively push the stick to roll more? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? :mad:

Oh great. We may as well make the cars drive automatically and do all the challenges themselves. Jesus! :thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

Exactly, *** have they done, trying to barrel roll was part of the fun especially in the air field through that damn hoop, it seems they have dumbed it down way to much having a restart is one thing but this. :nono:

Exactly, *** have they done, trying to barrel roll was part of the fun especially in the air field through that damn hoop, it seems they have dumbed it down way to much having a restart is one thing but this. :nono:

My thoughts exactly! I'm not going to feel as satisfied with my efforts anymore.. I love that airfield with all the barrel roll challenges, could do it over and over again!! Lets just hope it's not as 'easy' as it says!

They could at least put some form of option on for the easy barrel rolls for us (soon to be called) "old skool barrel rollers!"
..And yes, that's skool with a 'K' - I'm widdit dudes!

I love that airfield with all the barrel roll challenges, could do it over and over again!! Lets just hope it's not as 'easy' as it says!
Try doing them in reverse,not done it myself but have got VERY close in the touge criterion, i'm certain it's possible. That would take the easiness out for you :D

reverse in the airfield ?!??!

I've done reverse at the beach but never tried in the airfield .... Hmmmm :)

I'm new to burnout paradise and I agree with Darth, I prefer the challange of barrel roll through the hoop.

Not keen on the idea of making billboards, gates and super jumps easier to find...the whole point of them is to find them yourself (halfway through billboards, 33 gates to find :D and for super jumps need faster cars)

You know you can use the Criterion website when you get down to those last few gates etc.

I tried my best to avoid the mapping functionality that they provide, but having driven around the whole city for countless hours I had to look at the map for the last 2 gates and the final billboard :(

Try doing them in reverse,not done it myself but have got VERY close in the touge criterion, i'm certain it's possible. That would take the easiness out for you :D
My, my, how far someone has come from the early days of Wingsurfer Challenge Activated. :D

NOW YOU ARE THE MASTER!

Now there's a challenge.. :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom