1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Features to expect in a budget amp.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by colossal, Nov 4, 2001.

1. colossal

colossal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello to everyone

This is my first post here, I recently bought a Kenwood KRF-V5050D from Richer Sounds with the promise of money back if I didn’t like it. This is my first receiver connected to my LG 3200E. The video is composite & audio via the coaxial digital input.

I’m using 2 sets of speakers & another for CF . Far from ideal but I’m still well impressed. (upgrade when funds allow)

Ok …. I don’t like the following things about the receiver and could do with some advice on what model might suite my needs. The Kenwood was a bargain at £160 but I could spend around £300.

The Video connection is composite.

The menu does not appear on the TV

When using any source except Analogue & Linear PCM I can’t adjust the Bass or Treble.

The Amp will only driver 1 Set of speakers.

When listening to a stereo source the amp won’t send the L & R signal to the SL & SR
    speakers at the same time……………

To search for radio stations that are not preset you have to use buttons I would prefer to
    be able to use a knob as well.

The Remote is small a larger one that would drive other AV equipment would be good, a jog / shuttle wheel would be really nice. ( I suppose this is just related to the price you pay & I ain’t paying enough)

There’s no Mono facility.

Umm that’s about it.

Thanks for reading, please reply even if its just to one of points.

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I own and recommend highly the Yamaha DSP AX620, of which there is a receiver version - the RXV620RDS, featuring:

S-video connections - however I do not use the video connections of my amp, and I know no one else who sends their video through their amp/receiver to their display, if this is what you are talking about. I don't think I'm wrong in assuming that the LG has RGB capabilities. So if your TV can take RGB, you should get yourself a decent scart and connect the player directly to the TV for a much superior picture than sending it composite via the receiver. The receiver can always be connected by composite for setup purposes. If I've greatly confused what you said then please forgive me.

On screen display for menu setup through either composite or s-vid.

Adjustable bass and treble with digital sources.

Will drive two sets of main speakers.

Has a 5 speaker stereo function (even though I reckon stereo should only be heard through two speakers).

Has knobs. :)

Programmable Universal remote (allegedly).

A mono DSP setting which is really quite superb at bringing audio life to old films and the odd mono programme as found on Sky programming - awful people.

Plus lots more. Loads of DSP's, of which none are a simple waste of space. My favourite has to be the DTS 70mm Spectacle. Close your eyes and you're in a massive cinema. Brilliant. Loads of inputs and outputs.

Can be bought for just a little over £300 at places like Richer Sounds (booo!hissssss!) or www.unbeatable.co.uk.

Otherwise, shop around, see if you can wrangle some demos, and check out other models. £300 can buy you a great deal nowadays if you have the patience and are willing to do a bit of digging.

3. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So dont route it through the amp then. use RGB from the dvd to the tv via scart.

Ah no onscreen on a budget amp. You dont need it often anyway.
    Also another reason for doing what i suggest in point 1.

So your saying you cannot distort your dd or dts feeds ?
    bass and trebble are for midi systems in my opinion.

Did you want to run some speakers in stero in another room then? you could a switch box that will let you do this off the single speaker outputs.

Thats because its stereo i.e two channels. To force feed a stereo feed to the rears (imho this nearly always sounds crap.)you need to engadge one of the dsp modes on your amp. Such as dolby pro logic.
    Its a digital tuner and that is how it works.You can get some with "large knobs" but they dont work in the way you are expecting.
    JOG WHEEL ?? arnt those on videos. Ive never seen one on an amp before.My sony video has one and its a bigger pain than using normal buttons.
    Ok i amit it i cant think of a use for one of these.

After looking through your list of wants and dissapointments i can suggest going back to richers and getting the sony strb 940.
    I think it £300 and will certainly have everything you are looking for , including the mono mode.
    But you are out of luck with the jog/shuttle thing. But it does have a good learning remote.

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,424
    How lovely to experience a forum member alerting us to some unacceptable behaviour and the moderators responding accordingly.
    Since I was downstairs watching Tombraider, I missed it all.
    Anyhow I understand some abusive language was involved and to whomever wrote it - it's not acceptable.

5. colossal

colossal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks both for the reply's. Much appreciated.

I know I said I used composite but that was only when I set the receiver up. I quickly changed back to using SCART.

I can see why its good to keep RGB but it's also good to be able to switch between video inputs on my 1 Scart input TV. So the video connections are kinda irrelevant along with the on screen menu, I can live without that.

Yes I want to run another set of speakers in another room, a switch would do but its just messy init + my girlfriend gets stressed enough as it is.

Pointon Just to clarify. I can have another set of L&R speakers and then switch between them or use them both at the same time ?

Adjusting the bass & treble is important to me, if nothing else it keeps the neighbours happy late at night,

Riddler I don’t really think distort is the correct technical term for this ; )

As for driving 5 speakers from a stereo source, of course its not right it just fills the room when you have a few people round. As for using a DSP mode to do this, on the Kenwood.. Pro Logic sounds absolutely terrible when fed from stereo. Anyway I wouldn’t want to “distort” the sound.

Cheers Pointon will check out the Yamaha, sounds good……. sorry looks good, hope it sounds good to.

PS If you saw the angry post…it was just a figment of your imagination

6. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Angry post ?
    what i miss.

Ok some answers on a postcard with a little less sarcasm. :O)
    firstly adjusting the bass and trebble is distortion in my book :O)
    distortion of the original sound.
    But as you imply using it to tone down bass for late night viewing, You will find most amps and certainly the sony i mention has a dsp setting for late night viewing which equals out the dymanic swings often found in movies.
    You still get low stuff but it doesnt go from dead quite to huge back as much and saves you diving for the remote.
    The sony does have bass and trebble but not knobs im afraid.

I know that denon do a good dsp that uses all 5 speakers to a good degree.I havnt looked much on the sony too se what its like.

I hope my post didnt offend or provoke any unpleasentness :confused:

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There were only a dozen or so people logged in this afternoon so most will have missed "angry posts" which seem to have suddenly been "moderated" after Spectre finished watching Tomb Raider.

My car is currently off the road awaiting new brake parts which will cost me £1,000. As I am now skint I am looking for new ways to earn and I am happy to sell copies of the deleted threads at £50 each.

If you are interested please email me at blackmail@yaboo.com and we can arrange which churchyard the exchange can take place in.

Yours greedily

Ian

8. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You can have two sets of speakers on either one at a time or both at once with the two seperate switches on the front. Or none at all... why you would want to do that, I don't know.

9. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why you would want to do that, I don't know.

1) One pair of speakers (front left and right) for home cinema duties.
    2) A pair of speakers dedicated just for audio.
    3) You can also use A/B terminals at the rear of the amp to
    bi-wire.
    4)Use speakers "A" for home cinema in the front room and speakers "B" for another room in the house for music.

All this on a budget amp, what will they think of next.

:cool:

10. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Aye... I have two sets of speakers wired to my amp, because it's loud for playing music, and really just for the hell of it. What I meant was that I don't know why anyone would want to switch off both sets, as you can actually do.

11. flunchy

flunchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    colossal

I just bought an Onkyo TX-DS595 receiver from Hifi Junkies for £350 which will do everything you need apart from mono and on-screen display (but it has a nice clear display on the box instead).

Dolby PLII, an 'all stereo' mode that plays stereo sources through all speakers, S-video connections all round, it can drive a second set of speakers (stereo only), and learning remote which is sooo wife friendly as it means I can hide all the other remotes!

It sounds great for the price, lots of power and nice clear sound. Oh yes, bass and treble works on all modes but 'stereo direct' (which doesn't drive the sub channel so I don't use it anyway).

12. colossal

colossal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers flunchy, hadn't heard of the Onkyo I'll have to have a look.
    Remote sounds good 5 is 4 to much for me.

Hi Riddler yep the Kenwood has the DSP compression thing, the problem is the dynamic range is reduced quite a bit to the extent where my girlfriend tells me it sounds bad and to turn it off. I'd rather live with less Bass. Its also worth mentioning that my bodge job surround speakers are 10" Pioneer room shakers.

Anyway watched The Mexican or is it Mexican last night and that’s a bloody good film to test out a system loads going on really enjoyable. Maybe its not your thing but I loved it.

I still want to upgrade but its hard as the Kenwood gives a lot of bang for the buck, seems like I have to spend twice as much to get a bit more. I'll keep ya posted....