Feasibility of my Plan?

xtianasda

Standard Member
Hello all,
I've just created a thread in the Sky Distribution forum, for an upcoming refurbishment, and I would like to (again) get someone more knowledgable than me to make sure what I'm planning is feasible.

It would start with Fibre Internet, either from Sky or BT. Then, I would want to connect an Apple Airport Extreme, using that as the router. We have many Apple products, and the easiness of use is a major factor in the decision to go Apple.
However, I've read that the Airport Extremes don't play well with online gaming, and as there would be a PS3 and a PS4 in the house, I would need to do something about it. The threads were a few years old, and it was very hit and miss, but some suggested to open up ports and assign static IP's to the devices.
If I understand, I would assign the PS4 as, for example, 192.168.0.2 (the Airport Extreme being .1) and tell the DCHP to assign IP's between 192.168.0.3-.255.
Anyway, from there, I would think that a switch would be needed, as I would like to install ethernet faceplates in some of the rooms (4 in total). Then, some would be connected to Airport express stations by ethernet, and some to Sky boxes, a Speaker system, etc.
Ideally, I'm thinking this means that there would be only one SSID to connect to, and the wireless devices would just connect to the strongest access point in the house.
Thanks for the help!

next010

Distinguished Member
I would say the information is likely out of date or inaccurate (like an issue related to a particular person). I've seen no problems with PS3/PS4 with Apple Airports and have been using them for some time.

With the AE's all connected via ethernet all you have to do is set up a roaming network and that will give you one SSID to connect to.

xtianasda

Standard Member
I would say the information is likely out of date or inaccurate (like an issue related to a particular person). I've seen no problems with PS3/PS4 with Apple Airports and have been using them for some time.

With the AE's all connected via ethernet all you have to do is set up a roaming network and that will give you one SSID to connect to.
Cheers for the information. I agree, I think it is out of date.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
...and the wireless devices would just connect to the strongest access point in the house.

It may be worth adding that it's a popular mis-conception that wi-fi devices are constantly "hunting for the best signal." The roaming algorithm in many client devices, (it's the client devices that decide if/when to roam, not the Access Points,) is often determined by the device designer so there's not much one can do about it and some are more/less aggressive than others. Some devices will hang on to a truly dreadful, but working, link even though there are better alternatives available.

[Anecdote] I've seen people stand right under an AP waving a phone at it and moaning about how few "bars" it was giving off until I've (checked and) explained that their phone is in session with a different AP 20 meters away. Of course, discussion then proceeds as to why "the system" isn't roaming the client to the best AP, and device owners can get a bit prickly when you explain that it's their (precious and "flawless") thing in their hand that's not working very well! [/Anecdote]

For a small SOHO network with only a few AP's, I would not use automatic channel tuning - I would devise my own channel plan and set them manually to reduce inter-cell interference.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom