In my quest to discover the cause of the recently increased noise levels from my HTPC I was having a good old fiddle the other night (it is the PSU for those that are interested by the way). I replaced the 92mm zalman fan on my zalman flower cooler combo with a new one to see if it would cut the noise ( can always use the other as a case cooler if its not the culpret: it wasn't and it will be!) Fired up the machine ( seemed a little quieter but not by much). Everything fine for 10 minutes. Then digiTv started to break up ...then it froze and I had to reboot the machine. Which got me straight back into the bios which was flagging a problem with the cpu . After many power cycles with the machine either sitting there or dropping into the bios I decided the second hand P3 1.4 I have in there must have snuffed it and may all the gods of ebay rain fire down on the nasty person who sold me such a lemon. Luckily I still had the previous P3 1.13 so I decided to swap them over. ( man that 1.4 was hot ....nearly burned me hope it hasn't damaged the mobo) Easy enough swap after minor lacerations to my hands from the flower. Fire it up and the bios pops up to change the cpu settings... this time I didn't put the lid back on... this time I see the fan is not moving (plug had pulled back out of the mobo). Dilema: Go with the 1.13 which is now in the socket and has the last of my arctic silver on it , knowing I can look forward to reactivating all that software that demands a new key any time your config changes...Theatertek basically. ( the machine is nowhere near an internet connection now!) Or beg forgiveness from the ebay gods for besmirching a fine seller, admit my own stupidity and see if the 1.4 still works! I chose the latter and so far the smelting the 1.4 took doesn't seem to have fried it ...touchwood. Look on the bright side. I now know the fan is nice and quiet , the heatsink was doing its job , the 1.4 won't run ok without a fan and even if I'm daft the mobo isn't!