1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fear and Loathing in HTPC land!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr.D, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    In my quest to discover the cause of the recently increased noise levels from my HTPC I was having a good old fiddle the other night (it is the PSU for those that are interested by the way).

I replaced the 92mm zalman fan on my zalman flower cooler combo with a new one to see if it would cut the noise ( can always use the other as a case cooler if its not the culpret: it wasn't and it will be!)

Fired up the machine ( seemed a little quieter but not by much). Everything fine for 10 minutes. Then digiTv started to break up ...then it froze and I had to reboot the machine.

Which got me straight back into the bios which was flagging a problem with the cpu .

After many power cycles with the machine either sitting there or dropping into the bios I decided the second hand P3 1.4 I have in there must have snuffed it and may all the gods of ebay rain fire down on the nasty person who sold me such a lemon.

Luckily I still had the previous P3 1.13 so I decided to swap them over. ( man that 1.4 was hot ....nearly burned me hope it hasn't damaged the mobo)

Easy enough swap after minor lacerations to my hands from the flower.

Fire it up and the bios pops up to change the cpu settings... this time I didn't put the lid back on... this time I see the fan is not moving (plug had pulled back out of the mobo).

Dilema: Go with the 1.13 which is now in the socket and has the last of my arctic silver on it , knowing I can look forward to reactivating all that software that demands a new key any time your config changes...Theatertek basically. ( the machine is nowhere near an internet connection now!)

Or beg forgiveness from the ebay gods for besmirching a fine seller, admit my own stupidity and see if the 1.4 still works!

I chose the latter and so far the smelting the 1.4 took doesn't seem to have fried it ...touchwood.

Look on the bright side. I now know the fan is nice and quiet , the heatsink was doing its job , the 1.4 won't run ok without a fan and even if I'm daft the mobo isn't!

2. Alex Simon

Alex Simon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL:D
    So does this problem go right back to when you announced your 1.4 was running very hot - a month or so ago?

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    No it wasn't running that hot!

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Dont worry Keith, this s**t happens to all of us.

Decided I wanted to give xlobby a try last night. Thought I'd be sensible and ghost my current stable config before trying it.

Remote desk into the machine from upstairs, install Ghost 2003 so I can run it from windows, reboot for good measure. RDP again and set up ghost to make an image of "C" to a file on "D", ignore the warning that my Gyration keyboard and mouse wont work in dos because the process is automateed from windows right.........wrong!!!

10 minutes later I try to rdp into the HTPC again to find I cant get a connection.

Go downstairs, switch on the PJ to find that the machine is sitting at the Ghost initialising page with the egg timer spinning, it seems to have hung. Switched it off and tryed to rebbot and it goes back to Ghost and stops again at the same spot. Guess that its the usb keyboard and mouse so I rebbot with a normal keyboard and mouse and....exactly the same.

Reboot again and try to take the option to return to windows....nothing....hangs again.

It appears Ghost has taken over the MBR (guessing) and wont let it go.

Tried a recovery console fixmbr. Then rweboot to find a cant find ntldr.

Looks like a reinstall then.:(

And that was trying to do the sensible thing.

5. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ouch..
    DriveImage 2002 works fine with Gyration, you can fire it up within Windows XP, set up all of your restore options and then just sit back and let it shutdown XP, boot in to a DOS mode, perform the restore, and then back up in to your restored XP (or whatever).

But I guess you dont want to hear about that now that you are faced with a re-install :-(

cheers

6. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yeah thanks for that David:rolleyes: , I'm back up and running now 4 hours later, good job I practice this:)

Might have to try drive image then, I take it a trial version is available?

7. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi John
    4 hours..double ouch!

There is an evaluation version - http://www.powerquest.com/downloads/eval-soho.cfm

I am not sure what exactly has been disabled in the eval. I personally prefer it to Ghost just purely on ease of use, but I know lots of corporate sysadmins that swear by Ghost , as opposed to swear *at* Ghost, which is presumably what you spent 4 hours doing ;-)

all the best

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    I use Acronis trueimage and its been great : a breeze .