1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FDE XDE HDE Help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by leighwilly, Jan 18, 2005.

1. leighwilly

leighwilly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Im new to the forum and am struggling to choose a plasma. Im the kind of person who loves the research before buying anything but the plasma scene has left me more confused than knowledged!

My initial choice upto christmas was the hitachi 5200, however after reading some pioneer reviews I thought I would go for one of their screens.

Now to the point. Review mags differ in their feelings about which is the best pioneer. Some say the XDE is no good for TV, others say the XDE is the best all round plasma on the market. what should I buy? A 43 XDE, HDE or a FDE.

Help - Im about to part with some hard earned cash

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Depending on your budget and watching habits, maybe none of the above. I take it, as the hitachi was on your list, HDTV is of low importance? There are many superb plasmas out there that never get reviewed, or if the do, get a low result as they are too hard for a simple journalist to connect properly. But you've come to the right place to get that sorted out, so the plasma world is your oyster. 1st of all you need to see some of these screens, where are you, we'll send you to the best nearest place.

3. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    XDE is the Pioneer to go for (Freeview, better remote, more connections etc.)but there is still a question mark over its ability with Sky and Freeview particularly Sport. A number of other threads cover the Pros and Cons.

We're all searching for the HD compatible plasma that's also great for today's TV.

4. leighwilly

leighwilly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks MAW,

My budget is around £2700 for a plasma. I am film mad therefore I am seduced by hdmi, however TV (sky +) will take up a large pecentage of viewing.

I am buying a whole setup from scratch my shopping list looks like the Denon DVD 2910, Denon AVR 2805, Mordaunt Short avant premier speakers (6.1) and a Atacama Equinox Stand. All this I feel quite confident with considering my limited budget, I just dont know which screen to put with it.

I live in Southeast London and work in Canary Wharf, so any places in these areas would be good.

Cheers!

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The southeast would be AV sales in Tunbridge wells, forum sponsors, or (blush) myself in Cobham, Surrey, not Kent unfortunately. As you are a sky+ man, I would recommend avoiding further TV tuners in your system, and go for a Panel only model. Some screens can pretty much equal HDMI with analogue video, few can accpt HDMI at 50Hz. The Pioneer is one that can, but I feel sadly lacking on Scart.

6. cucuz

cucuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry to trouble you again Martin but have you seen a Sky+ picture through a Lumagen or Iscan HD+ into the HDMI on an XDE ? What are your thoughts ?
    Thanks .

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes it works, but of course the digitasl port accepts only 720p or 1080i, not native panel res. Pain in the ass, but it's a fact. You like the black shiny bit then?

8. cucuz

cucuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The black shiny bit I can take or leave . Ideally I would have a 50 MXE1 but it has no HDCP digital input ( very important as it will have to last us at least 5 years ( we cannot afford to take the kind of hits associated with trading up with every new screen release ) and the 50XDE seems to be offering the answer to my all questions at the moment ( admittedly compromised , only 720 & 1080 ) . I have seen one running with a Pioneer 868 (which I also own ) via HDMI and don't know what all the fuss is about with the perrenial " black levels " question - this is far outweighed by the better detail offered by the Pioneer screens . I know there are many advocates of Panasonic on here but what do I do when Blu Ray and HD DVD are launched this year with HDCP outputs and I tell people that my new £4000 screen cannot display them ?
    Unfortunately life , for 90% of us is a compromise with wives, children , homes etc . The other 10% can count themselves very lucky that they can have exactly what they want whenever they want it .
    Cheers .

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well you could go NEC, this will do all you ask, or you could take the very small risk that the Aurora card for the 50MXE will not do the biz for you, but they are making all the rignt noises so far. Just a bit slow. But the scaler, (Lumagen or iscan HD+) would give you all the connectivity you need, all via digital at 720p on the FDE. No need to bother with XDE, it has no advantages you need if you were going this route. Setting up the scaler is a fun game, you might find you need help.

10. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60

Cuzcuz,
    you have echoed my sentiments entirely:unless you want to exact the last nats chopper out of Sky SD then the 505XDE is by far the better solution.The chances are that you will be watching most of your Sky content in shiny new HD within 2 years anyway.Personally, i cant be bothered to faf about with external scalers & still not be certain whether i will be able to get Sky HD when it arrives,imo,the 505 does it all(well most of it) & hell...i like the black shiny bit! Whats wrong with a plasma that looks good? I currently have my 505 sitting in my lounge which i plan to mount on saturday & am sure i will be knocked out by it. The beauty of the pioneer is that the best is yet to come....guaranteed!!! (The Incredibles on Blu-Ray anyone? World Cup in HD anyone?)

Nuff Said
    Dan :smoke:

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Fair comment Dan. The use of a scaler does 2 things for you though, it gives more than 1 digital input, and obviously a bunch of analogues, and it makes use of the Pioneer's excellent performance on HDMI at 720p. Personally I can't put up with the sky picture on scart.

12. cucuz

cucuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Where have the other 8 replies to this subject gone ?
    Anyway in reply to them , Paul Harris at Aurora told me that their 4th gen . HDMI card would only accept a signal that the actual display would accept as standard so that doesn't help matters at all ( does the MXE accept 720p@50HZ ?) .
    Spoke to Fujitsu UK today - It seems that the 40 series launch has been put back to March .
    Now , I was mainly interested in the 50" Fuji so maybe this doesn't apply to the 42" models but finall spec. has not been finalised. UK models will only have either HDMI or DVI ( both HDCP) , not both as in the USA . The 50" will have an external media box and it will accept 720p@50HZ via digital input. However , as Liam has mentioned , the chap I spoke to confirmed that they were experiencing problems with judder/ FRC when used with an external scaler ............ ! :rolleyes

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The whole HDMI/sky HD issue is a nightmare. NEC or FDE it is then.

14. cucuz

cucuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I didn't think that Pioneer did a 50" FDE ?

15. nicp01

nicp01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    MAW
    you wrote "There are many superb plasmas out there that never get reviewed"

which do you suggest, I want it for computer svga input minimum & hdtv ready

thks
    peter

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The FDE/XDE would fit your bill but the VGA port is on the front panel. If this is a problem, and you also don't like my scorn for the scart picture, you are going to need an NEC panel. They do SD and HD panels, 1700-2700 price range, all will be truly HD ready, and have more inputs than you can shake a stick at.
    PS There is of course only an XDE at 50", losing my marbles, sorry. Got a terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side this week.

17. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Cucuz

Going through exact same decision process at the moment. Would prefer an MXE1 but it doesn't have HDCP. The MXE1 DOES accept 720p/1080i @50Hz, so the Aurora card would work. However, the Aurora card was meant to come out last SUMMER and they keep postponing the release date, now it's Q1 05. In my opinion you won't get one until about summer, which is too late for me. Also, it will be something like £700-800 which is quite steep.

I'm going for the 505XDE...

18. S2KI

S2KI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Martin

As you can see from the sig. I have a 37" Panny via a JS RGB to VGA box for Sky. The picture is the best that I have seen for a sky source.

I am now in the market for a new 42" or 50" screen.

I have seen the pioneer XDE's with DVD and Euro HDTV and they looked fantastic. But as you say there are SD Sky issues which I have not seen.

In your opinion what is the best plasma for SD sky presentely and be able to take the Sky HD feed when it comes out? There is no point in buying a new screen if it is not as good as the old one!!!

19. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hmm, for me this a big problem. I really like Pioneers on digital, but then that's nothing special, they all look great with a good signal on their best input. The 'best' IMHO on sky SD would be a Panasonic PHD7 with a scaler, but it's not going to work too well with skyHD, it will judder. NEC screens theoretically could combine the best of both, but somehow just don't quite cut it. I suggest sleeping for a couple of years, or buy a Panasonic, and use it elsewhere in the house and buy a new one when HD comes out.

20. S2KI

S2KI
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Which is why I originally bought the 37" so I could move it to the bedroom as a second screen when HD people sorted their lives out.

2 years further on same dilemma :thumbsdow

Guess it going to have to be a 23"-26" LCD for the moment.

21. rili

rili

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW
    Always interested in your thoughts- I assume that although the PHD is best with SD Sky, the problem will come on HD because it's 50 HZ is incompatable with the PHD's 60HZ. Is there a possible cure i.e. a frequency converter? Also- do I remember you saying that there was an official Panny spec. sheet somewhere which could lead to a Trades Decriptions Act probe? As you can tell I'm soooo close to buying a PHD (50'' version) it's hurting! Who do the best deals on them, I wonder...

22. albertz

albertz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    i agree with S2Ki, after reading thru various threads on what plasma to choose, im still not convinced, and more confused than ever as to what is futureproof or indeed any good, pioneers are hd ready but seem to buzz and look grainy according to some, while others look great but wont display hd pics

what to do?? :suicide:

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your other option is an XDE, and feed it 720p from a scaler. Then if you are truly obsessed you can SDI mod your sky box, and if you ain't happy then, tough luck! You would certainly need HD to get significantly better. Of course this setup works well on MXE's too, better really cos you can send them native res on digital, all at 50Hz. The lack of HDCP is a PAIN. When Aurora finally come out with the long awaited card for MXE's we may have an answer. It seems it will not so much be an HDMI card, but just add HDCP compliance and a couple of digital ports. This may not make it compliant with DVD players, but it will make it scaler and skyHD friendly. They say it will not suport any more resolutions than the screen supports currently. Not a problem to me, but confusing to the non technical perhaps. All rumour at the moment though, unless Joe knows different. He seems to have an inside line on all things Aurora.