1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favourite Tarantino Flick?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by steroid, Jul 2, 2002.

1. steroid

steroid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So which one is it????

2. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Has to be Pulp Fiction.
    Can't wait for the SE. I refused to buy the original version on general principles so I'm really looking forward to owning this.
    And Jackie Brown.

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If we're allowing any level of involvement, I'd say 'Killing Zoe' or 'True Romance'.

Of his directorial efforts, my preference is (in order):

1. Reservoir Dogs
    2. Pulp Fiction
    3. Jackie Brown
    4. The Man From Hollywood (Four Rooms)

I really hope 'Kill Bill' will see a return to form.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dogs easily

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't seen Four Rooms or Killing Zoe, might have to check them out :)

I agree with your ordering there Juboy and with James - RD is my favourite. I absolutely loved True Romance too. :)

When's Kill Bill due out?

6. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry Pulp fiction for me by a mile.
    RD is joint second with Jackie Brown only because of the AK47 Line " when you positively absolutely have to kill every mother $*!$er in the room".:D

Never Seen true romance but I have seen Killing Zoe which isn't bad.

Why has everyone forgotten From Dusk Till Dawn. ;)

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SGod: you really ought to seek out a copy of 'Killing Zoe'. Playcentric is doing it for less than a tenner :)

Really good film, tense, violent, chic... very much like a 'euro' version of the Tarantino style. Excellent performance from Eric Stoltz and a great heist sequence. I'd be surprised if you were disappointed by it.

Four Rooms is OK, QT only directs one of the four short films but it's interesting and fairly stylish.

Kill Bill is slated for a 2003 US release, so maybe even 2004 here?

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's really excellent. Written by Tarantino but directed by someone else (can't remember who) but it has Tarantino's stamp all over it. No "time shifting" plot, but I'd be gob smacked if you didn't enjoy it. It's only £5.99 in the HMV sale (R2 director's cut) ... go on... treat yourself ;)

Maybe because the first half was great, but the second half (when the vampires come in) was cack? Selma Hayek though ... yum :D

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will investigate.... :D

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love reservior dogs... it comes across as an adaptation of an Eddie Bunker novel. It is still fresh as hell (I can't believe its been ten years already) and I don't care if it's copied from numerous HK flicks.

I was initially in awe of Pulp Fiction... but I think the gimmick wears a little thin after repeat viewing (I not saying I don't like it).

It was obvious that Tarantino wasn't working with his own material in Jackie Brown, it just didn't come across as anything that special for me.

Four Rooms is a terrible, terrible film with just a few saving graces. The Man from Hollywood section is one (this was either based on a true story or nicked from an episode of the twilight zone, i can't remember which) and Tim Roth's manic performance is another.

True Romance was great, and surprising in that one director took another directors work and made something that made sense.

Killing Zoe was okay, had that horrible euro-trash straight to video feel about it though.

And what about From Dusk til Dawn? I loved that first time I saw it in the cinema... its like you get two films for the price of one.:D

11. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The first Time I saw From Dusk Till Dawn I thought the first half was excellent. Then you get the What the F$£K moment and every thing goes to pot. I was left thinking what was that I just watched.

The second time I saw it on TV I rather enjoyed the second half in the bar for the grossout silliness. Especially the pneumatic stake.:DIt seems to get better with each viewing.

Still I wouldn't want to own it.:D Or change my opinion that it's not a good film. It can be silly fun.

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea the second half is damn silly, but fun silly, still QT only co-wrote it didn't he?

13. Metallifux

Metallifux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pulp Fiction is the best of a bad bunch.

14. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would find it most difficult to live without Pulp Fiction

15. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +959
    Actually, QT wrote it and then walked out when he refused to re-write the ending for Tony Scott into what it is now. He wasn't a director when he wrote it either. Along with Natural Born Killers it was work he penned and sold before attempting to direct for himself.

S'funny, Roger Avery (writer/director Killing Zoe) wrote the best parts of Pulp Fiction, I always thought (the drug OD section plus a few others), and did a great job with Killing Zoe. QT only really opened a few doors for his friend from what I've read when it came to getting Zoe made, he never had any real involvement in the film despite his "executive producer" credit.

Reservoir Dogs is my favourite Tarrantino flick, but I feel his scripts have always been better directed by someone else, such as Tony Scott or Oliver Stone. NBK is still my favourite Tarrantino movie, even though little remains of QT's original script, it was pretty broadly re-written by Stone et al before filming.

Most of Tarrantino's best ideas have been liberated from elsewhere, but I guess he just has a knack for putting them together in the right way. I'll never forgive him for his blatent ripping off of kung fu god Sonny Chiba with that Ezekiel 25:17 spiel though. Even the fact that he's got the bible quoting hitman is straight out of Antonio Margheritti's spaghetti western Blood Money. Sad thing is that there's a generation of moviegoers that actually think he's totally original. At least he knows how to entertain though, which at the end of the day is what it's all about.

16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never did like that movie. Bored me senseless.

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's never really bothered me that his ideas are pretty much all borrowed... I mean what's completely original nowadays anyway?

wasn't aware the ending was re-written, but you know what I meant, usually when one person works on another's ideas the result can be horrible.

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it was better with the re-write, but I won't say anymore because I don't want to spoilt it for kev :)

Rambo, reword your post please :) It'd be a shame if we ruin the ending for kev :(

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    **Deleted cos I didn't want to spoil it for Kev**

20. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have done likewise :)

21. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Dusk 'til Dawn easily (of the ones I've seen. I've not seen Killing Zoe or Four Rooms.

First time I saw it at cinema, I knew nothing about it except that it was a Tarantino. Me, my friend and the projectionist loved it! (only us there). It is easily the film I have watched the most. I don't care what anyone says, the 2nd half is brilliant! It's also the only film that I have the soundtrack of.

22. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It's gotta be Pulp, RD and the JB!

I also refused to buy Pulp & JB on their initial DVD release. These fims are made for Special Edition treatment!

I did get the RD disc though - D'oh!..........be strong Kirky! resist the crap releases!!!!!!!

23. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

24. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers, yea I knew he was brought in realism, I have read some of his books but I can't remember the titles. What's the one with a character called 'Mad Dog', a con gets out and hooks up with two childhood criminal buddies. They pull a job but it goes very wrong (much like Dogs in that respect)?

I found his work quite forgetable although his prose is gritty and you can sense the fact that he knows what he's talking about.