Favourite Rocksmith songs

Discussion in 'Xbox One Rocksmith' started by GloopyJon, Apr 19, 2016.

1. GloopyJon

GloopyJon
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,554
    I thought it would be interesting to ask which are everybody's favourite Rocksmith songs. Define it as you like....for me, it's the songs that I keep going back to and playing, just because I enjoy playing them so much. Generally, these are probably songs that have been interesting and challenging to play, without being totally beyond my capabilities.

I thought this might uncover a few gems that others haven't played and would enjoy as well, and even the odd song that we haven't yet had as a SOTW.

Feel free to include as many songs as you want, and also bass versions if you like! I don't want to constrain this with artificial rules, just do what you want. A bit of explanation might be nice if you think it worthwhile.

2. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,942
    Top of my head, without checking my actual favourites in the game,

The Thril Is Gone - love the song and it's good to play without being too hard.

Cherry Bomb
    Blitzkrieg Bop
    In Bloom

All three easy to play and a lot of fun and I can actually make them sound decent.

Will have to consult the song list to pick some more.

Freebird
    Smoke On The Water
    Breaking the Law
    Should I Stay or Should I Go
    Born Under a Bad Sign
    Battle Without Honour or Humanity (love the film, love playing it)
    Sunshine of Your Love (sadly only RS1)
    Ziggy Stardust

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  3. GloopyJon

GloopyJon
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,554
    I'll kick off with some of the songs that are in my top favourites - this isn't all of my favourites list in RS by any means, but these are keepers. Apart from the first one, they are simply in alphabetical order.

Blackbird, Alter Bridge - you knew this was going to be here! This is still my all-time favourite Rocksmith song, and most played one too. AB is a fantastic group, and this is a stunning song with a varied and really interesting guitar part which introduced me to hybrid picking.

Back from Cali, Slash + Myles Kennedy - another Myles vocal (and possibly not the last). As with many Slash songs, this has a couple of great riffs that were challenging and great to learn. Great song too, which led to Myles and Slash collaborating more regularly. This is a good thing.

Chompers, Fang Island - haven't played this much recently but this is another song that needs a bit of work and involves different techniques.

Don't Look Back, Boston - I really enjoy playing all of the Boston songs, but this one has a particularly enjoyable riff!

The Final Countdown, Europe - just a fun blast of a song!

I Believe in a Thing called Love, The Darkness - great fun to play, but I've just noticed that it's missing on my Xbox One! Trying to work out how to get it back...I've just re-bought the pack :(

Knights of Cydonia, Muse - just an epic song! Need I say more?

Love Song, Tesla - classic soft rock with manageable solos! :)

Plug In Baby, Muse - this song tells me if I'm playing well or not. If so, then I can manage it (more or less); if I'm too tired or something, then I can't keep pace with the scaley bit. I generally play the Muse songs quite a lot.

You're A Lie, Slash + MK - told you they'd be back! Another Slash song with very cool riffage.

There we go. Of course, I have many more favourites; unintentionally, that turned out to be 10 songs but that wasn't the goal. I look forward to reading all of your lists!

4. Hugh

Hugh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,849
    Will have to take a look, but for a start there's Taddy Porter - Mean Bitch. Pretty easy to play (for the most part) and sounds really good.

So much so, I bought the album, and I'd recommend it to anyone. The whole album is very similar to Mean Bitch. Not sounding similar, but with the same hard rock vibe. A cracking album that I can listen to and enjoy every single track. Very few albums do that these days. There doesn't seem to be any filler. I'd love to see several more off that album stuck into Rocksmith. They just fit the game so well.

Alter Bridge. Had heard the odd track on Planet Rock, but not really listened to them until I got them in Rocksmith. Bought their entire back catalogue on CD soon after and really rank Mark Tremonti, and think Myles Kennedy has one of the best singing (not shouting) voices in rock. Have to agree with Jon, Blackbird is a great track, and is one of my favourite songs inside and outside of Rocksmith. Just an exceptional piece of music.

Think you've all heard/played Sloe Gin - Joe Bonamassa. Don't think I need to say much. A classic guitar anthem. Very accessible on bass, and not so simple as to be irrelevent.

Now taken a quick glance, and I'd like to add....

The Black Keys. Easy to play (except my last choice Little Black Submarine :laugh:) and quite fun. Will often play a couple of their songs as a finger-warm-up.

Audioslave. Not really a band I had ever really listened to. Bit miserable. Yeah, I know what you're thinking, but the Pearl Jam tracks (Black & Jeremy) have real feeling behind their misery. Audioslave seem miserable for a gimic (much like Morrisey). Anyway, as I was saying, not a band I listened to, but genuinely interesting to play.

Also enjoy playing Harder to Breathe - Maroon 5. I'd heard this track, but taken no notice as it's not my thing. But on Rocksmith, it's really good fun. Not difficult, bouncy fun rock and I find it a challenge switching from sounded notes to finger-muted throughout the entire song. Give it a shot, it's fun. Probably a bit on the easy side for a SOTW.

Conversely, bands I love to listen to, but have now found I hate to play.
    Queen - May is just so random, it's incredibly difficulty to follow anything of his in Rocksmith.
    The Who - Entwistle's bass is out of this world. I couldn't hope to keep up. And no pick. The man must have had fingers of steel on his right hand.
    Iron Maiden - Other than Fear of the Dark (In my top 5 songs in Rocksmith), I have a lot of trouble with the "Maiden gallop". Maybe that'll come in time, but for now, I have trouble at 80% speed. That gallop sounds great, but is so hard to play.

Edit : Thought I'd actually rank my top 5. Not neccessarily ranked in how well I play them, more of how much I enjoy playing them.
    1. Fear of the Dark - Iron Maiden
    2. House of the Rising Sun (Bass) - The Animals
    3. Mean Bitch - Taddy Porter
    4. California Brain - RapScallions
    5. Blackbird - Alter Bridge

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  5. BarbaraH

BarbaraH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I have lots of songs I enjoy playing Bass on, (probably because I've got a reasonable score on!).

Here are a few of them;
    Islands - XX,
    Sitting on the Dock of the Bay- Ottis Redding,
    Where is my Mind - Pixies and best of all I really love playing Don't Look Back in Anger- Oasis

6. LarryPlane

LarryPlane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I'm just getting back into this and I wondered what your opinions were on the most accessible songs, those that are easier to master, or at least fun to play and help build up the muscle memory to move onto more difficult things.

I've been playing around this week and I have found these to be pretty accesible:

Black Keys - most of their songs are fun, challenging, but not too hard.
    Rebel Rebel - Seems to be easy-ish, although there is a B Major bar chord in there that throws me off the scent.

Will update when I can remember the rest. Have a senior moment with names to day.

7. Christian 71

Christian 71
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,880
    Rhythm guitar is best as there are a ton of easy songs to play, just order by difficulty. Rocksmith has added a ton of DLC that is pretty easy, looking at the YouTube play through you can usually figure out and we often don’t pick for SOTW as they are too easy to master.

Bizarrely I prefer bar chords over open chords so that may skew my opinion of easy songs ;)

8. LarryPlane

LarryPlane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    There certainly are a LOT of songs added since I last looked!

9. Goooner

Goooner
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,942
    I think there’s something like 1100 or more in total now :)

10. LarryPlane

LarryPlane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I noticed that when I first opened the Shop for Songs and it took about five minutes to open! Thought the servers were down.