Favourite/least favourite olympic sports

tvbox

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Curious to hear your opinions.

What is your favourite? (except for athletics of course)
What is your least favourite?

I like the racket sports (badminton, pingpong) but not too keen on how tennis is in there as quite a few of the big players (e.g Nadal) disregard Olympic tennis and focus on the grand stands. Same with football. In addition, there are already wellknown world tournaments for football and tennis. I had a good hollering at my family for watching football and tennis, sports that are on all the time, and to watch the 'rare' sports that only come every 4 years. I did watch the RF vs AM tennis final though (it was clear that RF let Andy off, after beating him in wimbledon)
And a new one to me, rhythmic and trampoline gymnastics are quite nice. Along with volleyball.

Least favourites- handball, water polo, synchronised swimming, football.

Last edited:
Curious to hear your opinions.

What is your favourite? (except for athletics of course)
What is your least favourite?

I like the racket sports (badminton, pingpong) but not too keen on how tennis is in there as quite a few of the big players (e.g Nadal) disregard Olympic tennis and focus on the grand stands. Same with football. In addition, there are already wellknown world tournaments for football and tennis. I had a good hollering at my family for watching football and tennis, sports that are on all the time, and to watch the 'rare' sports that only come every 4 years.
And a new one to me, rhythmic and trampoline gymnastics are quite nice. Along with volleyball.

Least favourites- handball, water polo, synchronised swimming.

Favorite was the cycling & least was the fencing

Favorite was Gymnastics, the skill and strength these gymnasts have is just amazing.

The one I thought looked most ridiculous has to be Handball. Just why bother?

Robothamster said:
Favorite was Gymnastics, the skill and strength these gymnasts have is just amazing.
?
+1 . Sometimes when you tune in and someone really amazing is on, when the scores come up it turns out that he/she is in like 5th place. Makes you wonder who is 1st.

Favourite - mens cross-country mountain biking

Least favourite - sailing

Must say the BMX had good entertainment value.
Handball was quite good actually, didnt think id like it but was surprised at how fast paced it was.

Didnt like basketball, water polo and that silly fast walking event they do.

+1 . Sometimes when you tune in and someone really amazing is on, when the scores come up it turns out that he/she is in like 5th place. Makes you wonder who is 1st.

A few times my jaw just dropped. Beth Tweddle on the uneven bars during the womens team qualifiers was amazing, I was like :eek: :rotfl: So fast and skillful.

And did you see the Dutch bloke who got a gold medal on the horizontal bar thingy? Just :eek::eek:

I did watch the RF vs AM tennis final though (it was clear that RF let Andy off, after beating him in wimbledon)

Baseon on a few people on here's Wimbledon comments at the time, I bet they were watching that Final crying through their fingers :D

I enjoyed most things really. Particularly cycling and gymnastics. BMX was good but quite unpredictable and a lot seemed to be down to luck and not getting taken down. Didn't really see much difference in the skill levels.

I really don't get the dressage though, and training horses to dance to me shouldn't be an Olympic event. Showjumping fine but not keen on dressage.

The sailing was a little boring especially as from the air you couldn't really see what they were doing and from sea level its hard to perceive distances.

Handball was surprisingly ok if you actually watched a match.

not too keen on how tennis is in there as quite a few of the big players (e.g Nadal) disregard Olympic tennis and focus on the grand stands

:confused: Nadal was the reigning Olympic champion and only pulled out of London due to injury saying ""It is one of the saddest moments of my career." and was due to be the Spanish Flag bearer...

So with Federer, Murray and Djokovic all there and Nadal injured, and all of whom competed in Beijing, which of the big players disregard Olympic tennis exactly?

Very little can touch the Velodrome for spectacle. The speed, the closely fought nature of the events and the fact that team GB seem to be morphing into the light cyclists from Tron made it awesome to watch.

Least favourite- football probably. I've nothing against the sport but the Olympic alterations to the team makeup essentially make it like watching a less proficient World Cup. Perhaps tellingly, it was the only event of 2012 I made no effort to see any of.

I dislike those events where you can't really tell what's going on.

Fencing, wrestling, judo etc. Are all quite difficult for the casual observer to know what is a score or not - It all happens so fast.

I really enjoyed the archery where the matches were very quick, we're full of tension and suspense and had a very quick turnover.

I also really enjoyed the track cycling, BMX and surpringly the beach volleyball.

However, for me it's all about the athletics - I can watch pretty much anything track and field.

Very little can touch the Velodrome for spectacle. The speed, the closely fought nature of the events and the fact that team GB seem to be morphing into the light cyclists from Tron made it awesome to watch.

Least favourite- football probably. I've nothing against the sport but the Olympic alterations to the team makeup essentially make it like watching a less proficient World Cup. Perhaps tellingly, it was the only event of 2012 I made no effort to see any of.

Same here, I couldn't even be bothered to watch Team GB play football.

But even my wife is dead keen to go watch some track cycling now

I'm always glued to the cycling, athletics and swimming so...

New favourite: Handball

Least favourite: Tennis

I'm sure Golf will be my least favourite at the the Rio games.

Tough to pick a favourite. I enjoyed most of them.

Least favourite or I should say had no place was the football and tennis. If the tennis had been, lets say, under 18s then it would have been more interesting than watching the same old dominate - pointless.

Most confusing was the boxing. It seemed the fights I watched were won by the right fighter but trying to work out how they score it was impossible. Good shots would be landed all through the round and the score would be 5-3 when it looked like it should have been 15-13.

I just can't get to grips with judo scoring. I loved it of course, but I didn't have a clue as to what was going on.
But I loved the dressage. Again, I didn't know what was going on, but it was a great spectacle.

Phil

Most confusing was the boxing. It seemed the fights I watched were won by the right fighter but trying to work out how they score it was impossible. Good shots would be landed all through the round and the score would be 5-3 when it looked like it should have been 15-13.

I liked it when they asked Lennox Lewis how the countback worked, and he basically said don't ask me I am as mystified as anyone...

Like has already been said above, I don't think football and tennis should have been in and I found them both boring so only watched them in very small doses. The rest was all good or very good.

Commentator/presenters - I thought Gary Lineker was superb as was the bloke who did the track-side interviews. Michael Johnson was excellent and always interesting and a very decent person. Gaby was also very good. But I thought Inverdale came across as a smarmy git and didn't seem to know what he was on about.

Like has already been said above, I don't think football and tennis should have been in and I found them both boring so only watched them in very small doses. The rest was all good or very good.

Commentator/presenters - I thought Gary Lineker was superb as was the bloke who did the track-side interviews. Michael Johnson was excellent and always interesting and a very decent person. Gaby was also very good. But I thought Inverdale came across as a smarmy git and didn't seem to know what he was on about.

I thought that Clare Balding was also excellent.

Phil

A few times my jaw just dropped. Beth Tweddle on the uneven bars during the womens team qualifiers was amazing, I was like :eek: :rotfl: So fast and skillful.

And did you see the Dutch bloke who got a gold medal on the horizontal bar thingy? Just :eek::eek:

London Olympics 2012- Epke Zonderland on Mens Horizontal Bar wins gold ! - YouTube

I was there for that, it was the best thing I saw at the Olympics, mind blowing. There was alot of dutch in the arena too unfortunately the majority of them left after seeing him win gold. £300 a seat and they don't stay to watch the womens floor final, madness.

I think my favourite was the cycling, we were lucky enough to go to the test event (world championships or world cup I forget) in the velodrome and it was amazing, no luck getting tickets for the olympics though but that's something shared with 99% of people.

surprise for me was handball, it was fast paced, high scoring, quite brutal and really exciting. We saw Denmark play Sweden and it was fantastic.

My least favourite is the bum wiggling (walking) I really don't understand the point of it as a sport at all and it's a long and boring event. To me it's like having a second long jump event but tieing peoples hands behind their backs. Who can go farthest or fastest with some pointless restriction in place, weird.

Not keen on dressage either

my least favourite event that I saw live was the mens gymnastics trampoline, while some of it is amazing, the fact you have to be silent for 60+ seconds at a time led to a poor atmosphere and it's very difficult to know how people have done, My wife and I could both tell the Chinese athlete (dong dong hehe) was better than everyone else and that the Italian athlete was worst (mr windmil we called him as his arms were all over the place) I had little to no idea about the others.

Fav: gymnastics, velodrome, swimming, diving and the athletics races

Least fav: football (at the Olympics it just seems so meh) and men's volleyball

Yes I forgot about the long distance mincing event, I hate that too. According to Jack Dee it's not a sport it's just a bunch of air stewards on a protest march :laugh:

Favourite: women's beach volleyball.
Least favourite:Mens 100M final.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom