Favourite Film Poster

sebbykin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saw @brian s post
"I've wanted to see this ever since I saw this poster. Apparently it is a good film.".

Before the internet, film posters ( Photoplay and Barry Norman) were probably what I looked for when a new film was being released. ( Have hundreds of posters, rolled up,in the attic).

Love 'em

Here's a couple:
Dracula-1958-poster-009.jpg

This was on my bedroom wall.

blade_runner9.jpg

This was the original I think.

Anyone fancy posting :cool: some good examples ( even if the film is pants!!)

Whilst were at it where can you get hold of the actual posters that the cinemas use these days apart from asking the cinema proprietor for theirs when the film finished?

I was lucky enough to buy one of my favourite movie posters on a trip to Krakow.
1846.jpg

However, mu holy grail of movie posters is this...
1288096693.jpg

My mother used to work in a cinema and she would bring me home the horror film posters. At the time I was too young to see them at the time so I never knew if they were any good. I wish I still had them. I also wish I'd had the sense to ask for some of the bigger film posters that would become more collectable.

Bri

Here's an iconic one:
MPW-18721.jpg

I was always (and still am) a huge fan of this.

MPW-17445

Last edited:
Being a big Dr Who fan this was a biggie for me.

Dr._Who_and_the_Daleks_Poster.jpg

The Daleks in colour on the big screen! You have to remember we were watching the tv Dr Who on a tiny 405 line b&w set back then.

Bri

Here's two of my most recent favourites. First up, Blue is the Warmest Colour. Perfectly captures the theme of the film and its use of monochrome apart from the title colour makes the character or Emma stand out exactly as the main character, Adele, sees and is attracted to her. Also, well done on the designer for not overloading the poster with quotes and including the Palm d'or.
file_583905_blue-is-the-warmest-color-poster.jpg

The Strange Colour of your Body's Tear is a neo-giallo and the poster sells the plot and the nostalgic appeal of the film perfectly. If I ever get my home cinema sorted, these two are getting framed and hung on the walls.
margin.jpg

I loved the idea the poster suggested to me, racing towards the unknown, scared but exhilarated at the same time:

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Prior to this films release I remember the Daily Mirror showed a section of this poster each day (without script).
No-one knew what it was all about but I was fascinated and totally bought into the mystery.
Then on Saturday they showed the whole thing in full as below.
I couldn't wait to see the movie.
It was a genuine game changer, totally different from anything that had gone on before.
oYj6Pe2iE4YGaklt03CiLtMh3T7.jpg

Here's two of my most recent favourites. First up, Blue is the Warmest Colour. Perfectly captures the theme of the film and its use of monochrome apart from the title colour makes the character or Emma stand out exactly as the main character, Adele, sees and is attracted to her. Also, well done on the designer for not overloading the poster with quotes and including the Palm d'or.
View attachment 705471

That's one of the nicest (newish?) posters I've seen in a while. Thanks:smashin:

I've always liked this as in the eighties I used to get first dibs on the promo posters/displays from my local video shop. I had a six foot Arnie in my bedroom, maybe I shouldn't mention that in this forum though :D.

2016-04-19-18-29-25--504196048.jpeg

The Strange Colour of your Body's Tear is a neo-giallo and the poster sells the plot and the nostalgic appeal of the film perfectly. If I ever get my home cinema sorted, these two are getting framed and hung on the walls. View attachment 705473

That really is quite excellent. It does make you want to see it.

Bri

Love a good film poster. Seems they've dipped in quality in recent years, much like Hollywood films themselves.

Last great film poster I remember being really intrigued by was
inception-poster.jpg

I think it's the very first poster that was released for the film and I was immediately fascinated by just how much it hints at whats to come, not just visually, but metamorphically (The idea of a shady protagonist getting roaming about in murky waters was not lost on me!). But yeah, it's a striking poster and I wish it had been used on the home cinema release instead of the rubbish one that we ended up with.

I even had an actual billboard poster of this once. Sadly, it's gone now.

Like addy, as a kid, I used to look for film posters/covers too, most of the time in the video shop, but sometimes at the cinema.

Although I never thought much of the film, I do remember being being struck by this poster
as a kid.
con-air-52df831969176.jpg

Lastly

951full-a-history-of-violence-poster.jpg

I'm biased here because I LOVE the film, but I really feel like the poster sums it up very while still being subtle enough to make you curious about what it's actually about. Again, this poster wasn't used for the home cinema release, despite being a million times better than the one we end up with.

Love a good film poster. Seems they've dipped in quality in recent years, much like Hollywood films themselves

I agree with the point about the posters (maybe it's just rose tinted glasses) and hope there's some more good new ones out there,
see @trippfontaine 's post.

Hollywood et al still put out some quality films though:)

Love a good film poster. Seems they've dipped in quality in recent years, much like Hollywood films themselves.

Last great film poster I remember being really intrigued by was
inception-poster.jpg

I think it's the very first poster that was released for the film and I was immediately fascinated by just how much it hints at whats to come, not just visually, but metamorphically (The idea of a shady protagonist getting roaming about in murky waters was not lost on me!). But yeah, it's a striking poster and I wish it had been used on the home cinema release instead of the rubbish one that we ended up with.

I even had an actual billboard poster of this once. Sadly, it's gone now.

Like addy, as a kid, I used to look for film posters/covers too, most of the time in the video shop, but sometimes at the cinema.

Although I never thought much of the film, I do remember being being struck by this poster
as a kid.
con-air-52df831969176.jpg

Lastly

951full-a-history-of-violence-poster.jpg

I'm biased here because I LOVE the film, but I really feel like the poster sums it up very while still being subtle enough to make you curious about what it's actually about. Again, this poster wasn't used for the home cinema release, despite being a million times better than the one we end up with.

I agree with you on the Inception one to a point, and probably would have liked it even more, had Nolan's team not used this several years before. Not much of a step up design wise -

I agree with you on the Inception one to a point, and probably would have liked it even more, had Nolan's team not used this several years before. Not much of a step up design wise -

Love that poster though!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom