Favourite Demo Scenes

GarryF

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ok, so what's everyone favourite scenes for showing their projector at it's best? I can think of

1. Start of Toy Story 2
2. The Trainers scene in Antz
3. The crystal scene in Titan AE
4. Fifth Element opera scene with the planet behind.
4. Castaway when he climbs to the top of the island and looks round

Anyone got any others ?

In no particular order...these are current favourites. Some, not cause they're great pictures but because the pic and sound together are entertaining.

Big Lebowski, "Jesus Bowling, flash your piece out on the lane" scene. Love the 70's colours of the bowling alley, the chrome hand dryer and the music.

Replacements: "Distractions"...Just get it and you'll see what I mean.

Any Given Sunday: Opening credits. Looking at the texture of the ball, the colours of the strips and the pitch, the blood dripping down the QB's hand and the incredible sound quality

Fifth Element: "On a ledge"... Mentioned it so many times before.

Pleasantville: "Lovers lane or Red Jersey". Both are just great for showing an amazing sense of perspective and colour.

Hollow Man: The reconstruction of the Ape is pretty cool too.

Gordon

These are all Region 1

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Gordon, StereoStereo ]

Also in no particular order;

Fifth Element R1 - Reconstruction sequence & Diva sequence - true classics!

Muppets from Space R1 - chapter 3 Breakfast - A great self contained sequence, great colour and detail & Funny.

Lost In Space R1 - opening sequence, attack on the hyper-gate - great contrast and encoding quality, sound is good, but watch the front left channel on the second explosion, it's taken out more than a few speaker cones and amplifier channels!

Seven R2 - in the Library (Chapter 8 I think)subtle shading of light, detail in the paper and skin tones while backed with wonderful music - the ambience on both surround tracks is wonderful.

Chicken Run R2 - The Pie machine - also as used on DTS demo disk 5 - really uses the discreet rear channel plus excellent video encoding (R2 disk better than the DTS demo disk)

Brassed Off R2 - 'Orange Juice' (chapter 6 I think) - not the best encoding in the world and only 2 channel sound, but viewed at a sensible distance, the skin tones and textures plus the evocative sound track makes a pleasing sequence.

The Corrs - Unplugged R2 - 'Radio'- shot on 16mm film, there is quite a bit of grain but on a properly set up system that also gives it a real film quality. The sound has an unusual mix (the placing of the artists is very spaced out and static, inspite of the camera view point) but still uses all the channels well. (plus, of course, close ups of Andrea!)

There are plenty of other dvds that are exceptional quality (R1 Legend of Bagger Vance, R1 Traffic etc..)but the hardest part is always finding a suitable segment that is interesting, short enough, self contained (for plot) and navigable (i.e. you need to be able to find it!).

Oasis

I am a "first 30 min of Saving Private Ryan" fan. If you are not impressed after this then you have to leave.

i love the last three chapters of lost in space. i love the whole exploding planet thing

For what it's worth, in no particular order...

1. Gladiator: Too many scenes too mention !

2. Mission Impossible I: Channel Tunnel sequence. Great sound.

3. Tommorow Never Dies: Opening scene. Great for showing up artifacts on poor displays !

4. Human Traffic: For its' soundtrack.

5. Austin Powers II: Elvis Costello's "I'll never fall in love again" - Great Colours and song.

Tom.

I think my fave scenes are more due to the sound effects than image, but here goes... :)

The Matrix - Lobby scene
SPR - The first 20 mins on the beach
Toy Story 2 - opening.
Galdiator - Hell Unleashed, and the colloseum sequence

I use a HTPC, so what I've done is use smartripper to copy these scenes (and others, including DTS and DD demo sequences) to my hard drive, then just use the DVD player software to play them from the hard drive - the play list feature is very handy for doing this in one go! :)

Gary.

The opening scene in Toy story 2 is great. The wierd thing is, it doesnt show up the rainbow effect on DLP projectors! So if you are demoing a DLP and the dealer tells you its his only disc, walk away :)

The Matrix - Lobby scene

i would go for that too if i ever get the disk .
keep going to get it and end up with somthing else :D :D

i'm probably the only person on the forum who aint got it :rolleyes:

Your not missing much :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom