Favorite browser?

airline1

I have several browsers loaded and tend to swap and change as the mood takes me (I get bored easily :) ).

I am currently in Safari 4 mode and I quite like it speed wise. Seems to be a lot snappier than FF or Opera.

I like FF because of the stacks of useful addon's available.

Opera has a nice clean look to it but tends to gag a lot more on some sites.

I have not tried Chrome yet but may give it a whirl.

Any others worth a try?

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Give Maxthon Classic a try, that's got a couple of neat features. I especially like it's combined web/page search box and persistent undo.

Maxthon 2, Avant, Flock, Seamonkey, Slimbrowser and K-Meleon are all pretty popular as well.

Personally I feel all the browsers currently availible are a bit unfinished and out of date, I haven't yet seen one designed for widescreen monitors with the controls at the side instead of the top for example.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
I love Google' Chrome. It's ridiculously fast. Puts Opera/FF/IE/Safari to shame with it's speed. Check it out.

Of course that being said, I prefer useful features of speed. So for now I'm sticking with IE8. If Google Chrome can sort out some issues for me. Like the way they handle favourites and stuff, I'd switch in an instance. I'd also like to so a more advanced options dialog. Giving me REAL control over my browser.

eric pisch

Distinguished Member
I love Google' Chrome. It's ridiculously fast. Puts Opera/FF/IE/Safari to shame with it's speed. Check it out.

Of course that being said, I prefer useful features of speed. So for now I'm sticking with IE8. If Google Chrome can sort out some issues for me. Like the way they handle favourites and stuff, I'd switch in an instance. I'd also like to so a more advanced options dialog. Giving me REAL control over my browser.

you must have an old PC as FF and IE8 are both instant on any web page i view

I use FF3 with no scripts and addblocker they only way to surf imo

Singh400

Distinguished Member
*ahem* My computer is blazing fast thank you :D

Don't get me wrong IE8 is fast, but Chrome is faster.

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
IE all the way for me. The others are ugly in comparison (cosmetics are more important to me than anything else).

And installing other stuff when Windows has the same thing built-in constitutes a 'dirty' pc.

Tkrockeruk

^^^^ Well you best hope the EU commission don't get their own way, they want MS to stop bundling IE within the Windows OS.

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
^^^^ Well you best hope the EU commission don't get their own way, they want MS to stop bundling IE within the Windows OS.
Wouldn't stop me using it though, as it will be a seperate download.

namuk

Distinguished Member
Big I.E fan .. was . now on Firefox .. beats i.e hands down .. there was a speed update last night though . but nope saying with firefox .. :thumbsup:

eric pisch

Distinguished Member
*ahem* My computer is blazing fast thank you :D

Don't get me wrong IE8 is fast, but Chrome is faster.

how can u get faster than instant?

the only time any browser for me takes more than an eye blink to update a page is if utorrent is going full chat and nicking all the bandwidth

oh and i have never used IE since it records everything you do in hidden files on your PC

graystreet

I would have said Opera up until a couple of months ago when it started hanging while loading pages on AVF. :(

Now not sure...Still researching.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
how can u get faster than instant?
Well none of the browsers are instant are they? Varing degrees of page rendering is what I'm talking about. IE8 is "slow" when compared to Chrome's page rendering.

oh and i have never used IE since it records everything you do in hidden files on your PC
Come on Eric. Surely you are not going to pull that one out of the bag. If you are referring to index.dat then everyone knows it can be easily deleted and/or cleaned. And don't think Opera, Firefox and Chrome don't do the same thing. They do, it just isn't publicised as much ;)

Razor

Distinguished Member
Firefox is my fav. I am not a fan of IE at all.

airline1

I would have said Opera up until a couple of months ago when it started hanging while loading pages on AVF. :(

Yeah, I have the same problem on Opera with AVF. Seems to gag when it gets to 'loading ds.server' something or other.

It is a shame because I really like the look and feel of Opera.

As for IE8 I only ever use it for logging onto my companies intranet but not for anything else. I can not think of a good reason for not using it, I have just not given it a chance really.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Well none of the browsers are instant are they? Varing degrees of page rendering is what I'm talking about. IE8 is "slow" when compared to Chrome's page rendering.

I've never noticed much of a difference either, Chrome seems no faster at page loading than Opera for me. The only real difference I've seen is in Javascript with chrome being noticibly faster for things like maps. (opera really chokes on google maps, but as yahoo maps works fine for the same functionality I assume that's just bad coding on google's part).

Yeah, I have the same problem on Opera with AVF. Seems to gag when it gets to 'loading ds.server' something or other.

It is a shame because I really like the look and feel of Opera.

Opera works fine for me on AVforums, I'm using it right now so it's not the program itself but maybe it's some sort of common fault?

jameson_uk

Firefox is my fav. I am not a fan of IE at all.
Me too but coming round to IE8 which seems an imense improvement on IE7.

My HTC phone has IE mobile on which is very similar to IE4 :eek: I use Opera on that but it won't handle posting messages on AVF which is a pain :(

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom