Fav Guitarists

alexs2 said:
Hi Lynx...have you got the Chilis live at Slane Castle DVD....some superb playing there,especially Frusciante and Flea together....the latter has to be one of the best(if not the best)rock bassists on a live set.
I have the dvd on at the moment. The intro to Californication where Flea and John jam together is magical. My eldest lad is heavily influenced by the Chilis and could do a fair job of mimicking JF if the oppertunity ever presented itself - he can only dream.

lynx said:
I have the dvd on at the moment. The intro to Californication where Flea and John jam together is magical. My eldest lad is heavily influenced by the Chilis and could do a fair job of mimicking JF if the oppertunity ever presented itself - he can only dream.

Definitely agree...superb....my son is also into them,and any other band that can actually play live(he liked Linkin Park till he saw them live on the TV one night,and then he believed what I'd said about old bands actually being able to play... :D )

In no particular order...

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Carlos Santana
B.B King
David Gilmour
Keith Richards
Neil Young
George Thorogood
Ian McNabb
Roger McGuinn
Ry Cooder
John Fogerty

Again no particular order

Rory Gallagher
Gwyn Ashton
Walter Trout
Snowy White
Slash
Albert Cummings
Richard Thompson
Warren Haynes (Gov't Mule)
Alastair Greene

I could go on forever but that lot are Top Notch.

Dave

havnt heard from Snowy White for years man.
If i remember rightly he did the Wall with Rodger Waters in Berlin and did a better job than DG hmmmmmmmm.

goodtimes said:
havnt heard from Snowy White for years man.
If i remember rightly he did the Wall with Rodger Waters in Berlin and did a better job than DG hmmmmmmmm.

Also on the Roger Waters Live DVD,along with Doyle Bramhall II,who is another superb guitarist....very fluid and note perfect.

we should start a thread on guitarists that should have more recognition than they have recieved.
I would start with Rye Coooooder sliding in for a home run.

i might not have thought of him but for what's just happened, but anyone that's heard him play will know that "dimebag" darrel of pantera/damageplan waas a stunning guitarist. if you could combine james hetfield, kirk hammet, kerry king, jeff hanneman and dave mustaine then add a little texas hot sauce, there's darrel! i've never heard anyone pick fast runs so cleanly in a heavy rock band ( obviously people like allan holdsworth pick pretty cleanly!) . i know people's favourites tend to be dictated by their taste in music, but if you look at pure merit as a player, the man was one of the best in the world. it's a helluva shame it took someone shooting him to remind me of him. oh yeah, i have been sitting all night with some pantera cd's, a box of beer and abottle of powers(it's nicer than jack). sorry, the thread can return to normal now

some great choices..... but just two threads for Mark Knopfler, his music might not be everyones taste but technically is one of the most under rated guitarists (IMHO) ....AND not a plectrum in sight!!!

ok im biased off to see him in May (does anyone agree or am i on my own :suicide: )

no dout about it Dave how about peter green or even Steve green

WITHOUT DOUBT THE BEST( ROCK GUITARIST) TO EVER HAVE WALKED THIS EARTH IS RITCHIE BLACKMORE, A LOT OF OTHER PROS AGREE WITH THIS BY THE WAY,( NEXT4) ARE AS FOLLOWS AND IVE SEEN THEM ALL LIVE. RORY GALAGHER, JEFF BECK, JIMMY HENDRIX. TONI IOMMI (BUT THERS,LOTS OF OVERATED GUITARISTS ) IMHO.( IE STEVE HOW, JIMMY PAGE ,ERIC CLAPTON (good singer),ANGUS YOUNG ,SANTANA,) ALSO LOTS OF UNDISCOVERD TALENT OUT THERE I SAW A YOUNG THAI GUITARIST IN THAILAND WITH A ROCK GROUP PLAYING FOR £5 A NIGHT IN PATTAYA AND HE HAD EVERYONE SPELLBOUND .PLAYED SO WELL PEOPLE GOING BACK TO SEE HIM EVERY NIGHT FABULOUS PLAYER PLAYED EVERY THING. I ASKED HIM HIS FAVORITE GUITARISTS HIS REPLY WAS RITCHIE BLACKMORE AND JIMMYHENDRIX, BECAUSE THEY USE THERE HEADS THEY THINK AND THEY ARE JUST GIFTED ABOVE MOST OTHERS. SHAME IS HE WILL NEVER BE DISCOVERD YET HE IS ABLE TO BLOW MOST OF OUR FAV GUITARISTS AWAY( AND WE )( AND HE KNEW IT ) ALL IMHO.

dc007 said:
Hendrix goes without saying...

Page and Blackmore are both in there - both incredibly versatile. Both capable of bone-crunchingly heavy rock one minute, delicate picking the next. Blackmore had astonishing ability and I think could well be the best, but is such a **** and consequently never got the exposure that his talent (but not his personality) deserved.
I CAN AGREE BLACKMORE IS WITHOUT A DOUBT THE VERY BEST! BUT I HOPE HE GETS BACK TO HIS ROOTS( ROCK) SOON.NEVER EVER RATED PAGEY HE DOES NOT AT ALL HAVE BLACKMORES ASTONISHING ABILITY! NORE MOST OTHERS. ALL IMHO RGRDS ABNETT26247

Steve Hillage most amazzzing not Steve Green my mistake as hes a Christian singer very good no dought not a patch on Steve Hillage.

dave741 said:
some great choices..... but just two threads for Mark Knopfler, his music might not be everyones taste but technically is one of the most under rated guitarists (IMHO) ....AND not a plectrum in sight!!!

ok im biased off to see him in May (does anyone agree or am i on my own :suicide: )

Knopfler is definately in my top ten, i loved the Ragpickers Dream and have just this morning received Shangri-La and am looking forward to having a listen !

I know he's not the flashiest guitarist, but between Dire Straits, Solo, Soundtracks etc it's an amazing body of work.

Heres a couple More ;

Francesco Fareri (with out a doubt one of the fastest guitarists ever)
Igor Belsky
Tom Hess
Carl Perkins

anyone out there still listen to Jonny Winters?

Jeff Beck (Just check out Guitar Shop)

Dave Gilmour

Jimmy Page

Dave Mustaine (great riffs)

I can't believe there hasn't been one mention of Carl Verheyen.

Who, by the way, is currently in the studio recording a Hi-Rez DVD-Audio for AIX Records. :thumbsup:

Angus Young

Cheers

Movieman

Movieman said:
Angus Young

Cheers

Movieman

Oh Mr Anti Climax :D

I have seen AC-DC blown off stage by a support act - the support acts guitarist was however Edward Van Halen

David Gilmour - probably the only guitarist who sends shivers down my spine.

Best guitarist I've seen live is probably Richard Thompson. When he was just tuning up he was better than me :mad:

didnt know you played guitar thought you were the blonde singer :laugh:

Best guitarist of my generation, well, two actually, Stuart Adamson & Brian Setzer.

Absolutely amazing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom